Firefox Security Issues [CERT UPDATED]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

Help!? Firefox has decided that forum.librivox.org is a security risk - sometimes.

When I try to open a page, I (often, but not always) get this big warning banner:
Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to librivox.org. The website is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the wrong time.

It’s likely the website’s certificate is expired, which prevents Firefox from connecting securely. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.
If I dig deeper, the error code is
Websites prove their identity via certificates, which are valid for a set time period. The certificate for librivox.org expired on 2022-05-20.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE
So, did something expire yesterday?

It happens with forum posts, the Magic Window (independently of the rest of the page the MW is on), and when trying to download files (to listen for PL). This is the most critical for me right now, because while the others seem to clear after 2 (or 3 or 5 or...) refreshes, the download just won't work - no warning message, just "couldn't download".

Is anyone else seeing this? I changed nothing overnight, my computer didn't reboot, Firefox didn't restart.
I'm about to try Chrome, but I see it has its own issues (plus, now I have to go figure out my passwords :( )
Krista
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It seems our security certificate has just expired.
Yes, that happens from time to time.

I've informed our IT guy about this.
For now, just tell FF that we're alright, and things will be, well, alright. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

Thanks, Ava. At least it shouldn't be a tough thing to fix :)
Krista