Recording a book out of a volume of collected works?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
jackreid

Post by jackreid »

Apologies if this is answered somewhere, but I am new to LibriVox and didn't see it answered in the documentation.

I am planning on recording George Berkeley's Alciphron, which is an approximately 350 page book (don't worry, I'm planning on starting by doing Berkeley's much shorter An Essay Towards a New Theory of Vision and seeing how that goes first). The best public domain version that I can find is from Alexander Campbell Fraser's 1901 4-volume collection of Berkeley's works (Alciphron in volume 2: https://archive.org/details/worksgeorgeberk19berkgoog). I don't plan on recording all of the collection and doing so would in fact be redundant with some of the already completed works on LibriVox. This leads me to a set of related questions.

Is it alright for me to have Alciphron be a stand alone project, even though I would be reading from this larger published volume?

If so, how should I acknowledge the editor of the collected works in the LibriVox disclaimer? While certainly legal (it is the public domain, after all), it feels rude to just omit his name altogether.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The short answer is yes. :)

It's not at all uncommon for us to record just one work out of a larger collection, for various reasons. As for your question about the editor, I'd say it depends on whether you plan to include his material. If you will be reading his preface and/or footnotes to the text, then you can easily do that with something like "Chapter 1 of Alciphron by George Berkeley. Edited by Alexander Campbell Fraser." If you are choosing to omit those things, then I don't see a reason to include him in the disclaimer.
jackreid

Post by jackreid »

Thanks! That's helpful as I consider this.