Public domain appliyng to reader's country?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Hello,
I'm a newbie about to record a section from a book by Thomas Henry who died in 1967. His work may still be protected by copyright in Italy, I have no idea. Even if it isn't yet public domain in Italy, is there a problem if I contribute? I mean, the recordings are available on your platform and accessible all over the world; any recording of mine is not quite mine, or is it? Maybe I could say/omit something in the default beginning/ending?
Look forward to your advice. Thank you.
P.S. [group] THE STRANGEST THINGS IN THE WORLD - philc
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Follow the copyright laws of the country in which you are, in addition to the US copyright law which LibriVox follows.

You would be breaking Italian copyright by making a recording/copy of a work by an author who died less than 70 years ago.

So if you're in Italy, you would not be able to record the author in question. That's the whole point of the warning in red at the top of the project thread. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

TriciaG wrote: January 27th, 2022, 12:46 pm Follow the copyright laws of the country in which you are, in addition to the US copyright law which LibriVox follows.

You would be breaking Italian copyright by making a recording/copy of a work by an author who died less than 70 years ago.

So if you're in Italy, you would not be able to record the author in question. That's the whole point of the warning in red at the top of the project thread. 8-)
Right, what a pity! Many thanks Tricia for your help on the matter.