Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

OK, all you Brits & Anglophiles...

I have some "working class" men to voice -- probably somewhere in Victorian-era London -- and one of them says,
"Not standing treat much, neither; he was in the bar, all on his own."

So should it be pronounced "nee-ther" or "nye-ther"?

Any help for this Yankee is greatly appreciated!

Thank you...LJB
(Louise)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Either is acceptable, but for a low-class London accent, "neether" is more likely, and would be pronounced more like "neever".
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

Peter Why wrote: January 18th, 2022, 6:17 pm Either is acceptable, but for a low-class London accent, "neether" is more likely, and would be pronounced more like "neever".
Peter
Ah. Thanks a bunch. :9: ...LJB
(( ...but... is "ee-ther" or "eye-ther" acceptable? :lol: ))
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

My London accent is a little corrupted by the seven years I spent in East Anglia, so some of the ?harshness of the London accent has been softened. I would tend to say eye-the rather than ee-the, but I think ee-the's more likely in London.

A long time ago, I had a friend whose surname was Jobson. I always pronounced it JOH-bson (like Joe); he told me that the Woolwich locals called him JO-bson (like pot). I tend to think of my pronunciation as being a little more relaxed.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on February 26th, 2022, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

SCOTS / "SCOTCH" / SCOTTISH-GAELIC-ENGLISH pronunciation help needed!

Of course I don't really know the difference...
But I have several chunks of such dialogue to do.
(And listening to Engineer Mr. Scott while watching reruns of the original Star Trek will get me only so far.)
It's all part of a humorous/satiric story, so there are probably some oddities &/or exaggerations in the spelling, etc.
Any & all assistance is much appreciated! 8-)

"Sair maun ye greet, but hoot awa!
There's muckle yet, love isna' a'...
Nae more ye'll see, howe'er ye whine
The bonnie breeks of Auld Lang Syne!"
[This is supposed to be a "Highlands folk song"]

"Ye're sair welcome."

"I'll no be selling the fush for money." [referring to a fish]

"Come away ben; are ye daft, lass, that ye stand there keeking at a McWhinus?" [most likely a silly made-up name?]

"What said Ian McWhinus to you i' the burnside?"

" 'Twas nae muckle; he gi'ed me a saxpence for a fush."

"Siller! Siller from a McWhinus!" [meaning "silver" for referring to the "saxpence"?]

"The McWhinus is back."

"Curse him, I'll e'en kill him the night as he passes in his deil machine." [referring to a motorcar]

"The deil machine! Ye'll no be wanting of a mark the night!"
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal

Post by maxgal »

maxgal wrote: February 8th, 2022, 2:57 pm SCOTS / "SCOTCH" / SCOTTISH-GAELIC-ENGLISH pronunciation help needed!

(And listening to Engineer Mr. Scott while watching reruns of the original Star Trek will get me only so far.)
It's all part of a humorous/satiric story, so there are probably some oddities &/or exaggerations in the spelling, etc.

"Ye're sair welcome."

"Come away ben; are ye daft, lass, that ye stand there keeking at a McWhinus?" [most likely a silly made-up name?]

"Siller! Siller from a McWhinus!" [meaning "silver" for referring to the "saxpence"?]

"The McWhinus is back."

"Curse him, I'll e'en kill him the night as he passes in his deil machine." [referring to a motorcar]

..anyone out there who can help me...?
Louise
"every little breeze..."

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've recorded a lot of this kind of dialogue before. I think I do a fair job, and I've gotten some compliments. But I'm not native and I've never been to Scotland, so I haven't answered you. Heck, sometimes I'm just flat-out guessing! Still, I'd be willing to record these phrases for you to imitate, as long as you are ok with the fact that it might not be accurate.
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

mightyfelix wrote: February 25th, 2022, 9:28 pm I've recorded a lot of this kind of dialogue before. I think I do a fair job, and I've gotten some compliments. But I'm not native and I've never been to Scotland, so I haven't answered you. Heck, sometimes I'm just flat-out guessing! Still, I'd be willing to record these phrases for you to imitate, as long as you are ok with the fact that it might not be accurate.
That would be fabulous! 😍
Louise
"every little breeze..."

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

maxgal wrote: February 8th, 2022, 2:57 pm SCOTS / "SCOTCH" / SCOTTISH-GAELIC-ENGLISH pronunciation help needed!

"Ye're sair welcome."

"The McWhinus is back."

Here it is, I hope this helps. Like I said, I'm not at all a native of Scotland, but I do my best. And yes, "siller" means silver, referring to the money, you were right on there!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/scotsformaxgal.mp3
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

mightyfelix wrote: March 1st, 2022, 6:39 pm
Here it is, I hope this helps. Like I said, I'm not at all a native of Scotland, but I do my best. And yes, "siller" means silver, referring to the money, you were right on there!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/scotsformaxgal.mp3
Sounds fabiola!
I'll do my best myna bird act. 8-)
Thanks loads...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Could a French speaker record this paragraph for me to imitate:

Beginning "Jean Calvin. Les hommes..."

https://archive.org/details/presbyterianrefo1144warf/page/713/mode/1up

Also half way through the paragraph, in italics, the sentence beginning "Calvin Hebraisant..."

Thankyou!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Peter Why wrote: January 19th, 2022, 1:35 am My London accent is a little corrupted by the seven years I spent in East Anglia, so some of the ?harshness of the London accent has been softened. I would tend to say eye-the rather than ee-the, but I think ee-the's more likely in London.

A long time ago, I had a friend whose surname was Jobson. I always pronounced it JOH-bson (like Joe); he told me that the Woolwich locals called him JO-bson (like pot). I tend to think of my pronunciation as being a little more relaxed.

Peter
To add my 2 cents, my dad was from that area and to the uninitiated sounded like Michael Caine, if that helps. (Locals can place someone within 3 streets based on accent :lol: )
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

InTheDesert wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 6:23 pmCould a French speaker record this paragraph for me to imitate:
Beginning "Jean Calvin. Les hommes..."
https://archive.org/details/presbyterianrefo1144warf/page/713/mode/1up
Also half way through the paragraph, in italics, the sentence beginning "Calvin Hebraisant..."
Thankyou!
if you can wait a few days, I can make you a soundfile on the weekend. :)

Sonia
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

InTheDesert wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 8:02 am And one more please, this time Hebrew:

5 words on this page
https://archive.org/details/sim_the-bibliotheca-sacra_1896-10_53_212/page/636/mode/1up

and two phrases on this page
https://archive.org/details/sim_the-bibliotheca-sacra_1896-10_53_212/page/640/mode/1up

I'd love a recording so I can imitate :)

Thankyou!
Hi there!

I can record this for you later today :wink:

Guy