Help finding a microphone

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

KevinS wrote: ↑January 10th, 2020, 8:58 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: ↑January 10th, 2020, 8:48 pm It's arrived!
I did a test with it right now... recording volume is only at 0.25% so if I need it louder I can easily boost that. The recording is the raw file, save for a slight stumble I edited out :wink: I think noise reduction is excellent (my mom was unboxing and cleaning her new toaster oven in the kitchen right next to the computer, that's what the [minimal] background noise was.) Here's the first recording I've done with it (I thought it would be better classified as a nonproject, since it isn't exactly a "real" test):
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/uhurumictest.mp3
Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it sounds. Tell me what you guys think. I'm excited to be using this just in time for the start of my YouTube channel, and for better-quality recordings here on LibriVox!
Hey! It's nice! Volume is low, but the sound is nice and clear and smooth. Your mom's performance on the toaster oven was pretty good too!
Haha! Thank you very much. (Feedback much appreciated.) :wink: :9:
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Well - it's a cheap USB mic so what can you expect?

It works and is usable - and you can make recordings with it (avoid the extraneous noises) - but it will be a mic you may want to replace with something better in a year or two. Sorry to be a little negative. The human voice is hard for a mic to record faithfully, and so really good mics are needed. But obviously what I'm trying to say is, yes the mic is OK, but you may want something better later on? (You could have got one of the famous Shure mics [SM 57?] for a bit more and it would be a lot better. But they require an XLR cable and suitable connection).

But I'm certain your new mic will be good to get you going for quite a while, and it's probably best to ignore my musings!
paullawleyjones

Post by paullawleyjones »

paulbrianstewart wrote: ↑January 2nd, 2020, 3:09 pm PC - Linux Ubuntu Mint 18
Mic: MX1 Condenser using Focusrite Scarlet Solo (with Kaotica Eyeball cover)
I also use Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, 64 bit) and was considering getting the Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

How is it? How was setup? Is there anything I need to be aware of to use it with Linux, or is it essentially plug 'n play?
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
paullawleyjones

sjmarky wrote: ↑December 4th, 2021, 10:10 am Audio-Technica 2500USB is a good choice, although it's $113:
BTW, the Zoom meeting on Dec. 10 is all about mics.
Thanks SJ, but I already have a Samson Q2U mic which can connect via USB. It was the audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo) I wanted to know about.

I'd love to attend the live Zoom session, but alas, I'm in an unfavourable time zone. I'll have to watch the recording.
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

"There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you." – Bene Gesserit "Litany of Fear," Dune
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

paullawleyjones wrote: ↑December 4th, 2021, 3:02 pm
sjmarky wrote: ↑December 4th, 2021, 10:10 am Audio-Technica 2500USB is a good choice, although it's $113:
BTW, the Zoom meeting on Dec. 10 is all about mics.
Thanks SJ, but I already have a Samson Q2U mic which can connect via USB. It was the audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo) I wanted to know about.

I'd love to attend the live Zoom session, but alas, I'm in an unfavourable time zone. I'll have to watch the recording.
Sorry; didn’t read the thread carefully enough. I have a Focusrite Solo. It is plug-and-play, at least on a Mac. No drivers needed. It’s a decent preamp/interface for about $99. It does not have enough gain for a dynamic mic, however. Plenty for a condenser.

My website
My Librivox reader page
paullawleyjones

sjmarky wrote: ↑December 4th, 2021, 3:25 pm It does not have enough gain for a dynamic mic, however. Plenty for a condenser.
Would you recommend a condenser mic over a dynamic mic for this type of work?
Paul Lawley-Jones
My Reader Page

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

paullawleyjones wrote: ↑December 4th, 2021, 3:40 pm
sjmarky wrote: ↑December 4th, 2021, 3:25 pm It does not have enough gain for a dynamic mic, however. Plenty for a condenser.
Would you recommend a condenser mic over a dynamic mic for this type of work?
Generally, yes. Unless you have a big problem with environmental noise, then a dynamic might be better if you have a preamp with enough gain. Dynamics are unpowered and put out a weaker signal, which isn’t bad in and of itself. Many are designed for live stage work and are better at rejecting outside noise.

My website
My Librivox reader page
paulbrianstewart

Post by paulbrianstewart »

paullawleyjones wrote: ↑December 3rd, 2021, 10:01 pm
I also use Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, 64 bit) and was considering getting the Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

How is it? How was setup? Is there anything I need to be aware of to use it with Linux, or is it essentially plug 'n play?
I was able to do it plug and play...I just opened audacity and selected the focus rite chose.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

paulbrianstewart wrote: ↑December 5th, 2021, 7:38 pm
paullawleyjones wrote: ↑December 3rd, 2021, 10:01 pm

I was able to do it plug and play...I just opened audacity and selected the focus rite chose.
I use Linux also - Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS, 64 bit - and my blue snowball USB microphone just works plug and play. The only thing that I will point out is that sometimes Audacity does not list this microphone in the audio options but in that case if you close audacity and start audacity again, then the snowball appears as the main audio device.
I'm a geek. I wreck my computer. Then I fix it.
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

paullawleyjones wrote: ↑December 4th, 2021, 3:02 pm
I welcome any questions that you have regarding mics and interfaces so I can make sure that they are addressed during the meeting. (I'm the person who invited Ryan the mic expert to our meeting.)
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

lightcrystal wrote: ↑December 7th, 2021, 6:17 pm The only thing that I will point out is that sometimes Audacity does not list this microphone in the audio options but in that case if you close audacity and start audacity again, then the snowball appears as the main audio device.
That's the way Audacity works with mics: the mic must be connected before Audacity is started up. Audacity only looks for mics as it is started up.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing