Help with French, please--The French pronunciation thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I was wondering if I could get help with a French letter.
Quelles feuilles qui paraissent ecriter de la main de la reine d'Angleterre, Veufe de Jacques II, contenant copie de l'acte pour la conviction du crime de haute trahison du putativ de Prince Galles (le Roi Jacques III).
I have no idea if it is understandable as written, the writer was very upset. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi Ann,

Here are a few corrections though the phrasing seems strange to me (I'm guessing it's an old letter being translated):
Quelles feuilles qui paraissent écrites de la main de la reine d'Angleterre, veuve de Jacques II, contenant copie de l'acte pour la conviction du crime de haute trahison du putatif du Prince de Galles (le roi Jacques III).
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

ezwa wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 12:04 am Hi Ann,

Here are a few corrections though the phrasing seems strange to me (I'm guessing it's an old letter being translated):
Quelles feuilles qui paraissent écrites de la main de la reine d'Angleterre, veuve de Jacques II, contenant copie de l'acte pour la conviction du crime de haute trahison du putatif du Prince de Galles (le roi Jacques III).

Awesome! It is an old letter, thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

Hi, may I ask for assistance in how to pronounce the following pamphlet title? -- "Sur la Situation présente de l'Eglise Gallicane relativement au Droit coutumier."

I'm reading section 7 of "Papal Encyclicals of Pope Pius IX", where it occurs in the third-to-last paragraph of the second column of the text here:

https://ia802308.us.archive.org/11/items/encyclical-inter-multiplices-pope-pius-ix/Encyclical%20Inter%20Multiplices%20Pope%20Pius%20IX.jpg

I might be able to scrape together some kind of pronunciation but it would be embarrassing at best, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

patrickrandall wrote: April 9th, 2022, 11:54 amHi, may I ask for assistance in how to pronounce the following pamphlet title? -- "Sur la Situation présente de l'Eglise Gallicane relativement au Droit coutumier."

I'm reading section 7 of "Papal Encyclicals of Pope Pius IX", where it occurs in the third-to-last paragraph of the second column of the text here:

https://ia802308.us.archive.org/11/items/encyclical-inter-multiplices-pope-pius-ix/Encyclical%20Inter%20Multiplices%20Pope%20Pius%20IX.jpg

I might be able to scrape together some kind of pronunciation but it would be embarrassing at best, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Hi Patrick

if you can wait till tomorrow, and if no one gets to it earlier, I can make you a soundfile. Do I understand correctly that you want to copy my pronunciation and you want to read it yourself ? In that case I will give you a slower version to practice and the more fluent version so you will hear how it should sound.

Sonia
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

Kitty wrote: April 9th, 2022, 12:39 pm
patrickrandall wrote: April 9th, 2022, 11:54 amHi, may I ask for assistance in how to pronounce the following pamphlet title? -- "Sur la Situation présente de l'Eglise Gallicane relativement au Droit coutumier."

Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Hi Patrick

if you can wait till tomorrow, and if no one gets to it earlier, I can make you a soundfile. Do I understand correctly that you want to copy my pronunciation and you want to read it yourself ? In that case I will give you a slower version to practice and the more fluent version so you will hear how it should sound.

Sonia
Hi Sonia, yes, I thought I would try to read it myself, so if you could give me soundfiles to copy, I would be so grateful! Certainly I will gladly wait till you can get to it -- I have a few things to record, so no hurry!

Thanks again,
Patrick
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

patrickrandall wrote: April 9th, 2022, 1:17 pmHi Sonia, yes, I thought I would try to read it myself, so if you could give me soundfiles to copy, I would be so grateful! Certainly I will gladly wait till you can get to it -- I have a few things to record, so no hurry!
no worries, it was only one sentence, that's quickly recorded. Here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/patrick_eglise.mp3

first very slow to practice the syllables, then twice a bit faster to hear the rhythm of the spoken sentence to make it sound less robotic ;)

If you wish me to check your attempt, feel free to send me a PM with the soundfile.

Hope this helps

Sonia
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

Kitty wrote: April 10th, 2022, 1:20 am
patrickrandall wrote: April 9th, 2022, 1:17 pmHi Sonia, yes, I thought I would try to read it myself, so if you could give me soundfiles to copy, I would be so grateful! Certainly I will gladly wait till you can get to it -- I have a few things to record, so no hurry!
no worries, it was only one sentence, that's quickly recorded. Here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/m8b1/patrick_eglise.mp3

first very slow to practice the syllables, then twice a bit faster to hear the rhythm of the spoken sentence to make it sound less robotic ;)

If you wish me to check your attempt, feel free to send me a PM with the soundfile.

Hope this helps

Sonia
Thank you, I will start practicing right away!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi there,

I am working on a project that has a letter that was originally written in French, but translated, but the date is in French, and I am to say the date in French. The date of the month and the month I have down, but I am curious about the year. It is 1890. Would the French say 18-90 or one thousand eight hundred ninety. If some could give me a sound file for this it would be VERY helpful.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalamareader wrote: May 30th, 2022, 5:36 pmI am working on a project that has a letter that was originally written in French, but translated, but the date is in French, and I am to say the date in French. The date of the month and the month I have down, but I am curious about the year. It is 1890. Would the French say 18-90 or one thousand eight hundred ninety. If some could give me a sound file for this it would be VERY helpful.
Hi Wayne

I have encountered both "one thousand eight hundred ninety" (mille huit cent quatre-vingt-dix) or "eighteen hundred ninety" (dix-huit cent quatre-vingt-dix). But not "eighteen-ninety", you don't say it like that in French.

I can make you a soundfile of whichever you prefer, but only tonight, I have no microphone with me at the moment.

Why do you think you need to say the date in French if the letter is translated into English ? :hmm:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalamareader wrote: May 30th, 2022, 5:36 pmIt is 1890. Would the French say 18-90 or one thousand eight hundred ninety. If some could give me a sound file for this it would be VERY helpful.
here are both variants, Wayne, so you can choose. I spoke once normal and once slowly, so you can copy the pronunciation easier. If you wish you can send me your attempts to check before you insert them :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/french_1890.mp3

Hope this helps

Sonia
Jondejip

Post by Jondejip »

Technically It all depends when was the time old way pronounced 18 cent 90 then 1890
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Kitty wrote: May 31st, 2022, 8:47 am
Kalamareader wrote: May 30th, 2022, 5:36 pmIt is 1890. Would the French say 18-90 or one thousand eight hundred ninety. If some could give me a sound file for this it would be VERY helpful.
here are both variants, Wayne, so you can choose. I spoke once normal and once slowly, so you can copy the pronunciation easier. If you wish you can send me your attempts to check before you insert them :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/french_1890.mp3

Hope this helps

Sonia
Thanks so much. After all your hard work, the BC said to say the year in English. :lol:
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Kitty wrote: May 30th, 2022, 11:15 pm
Kalamareader wrote: May 30th, 2022, 5:36 pmI am working on a project that has a letter that was originally written in French, but translated, but the date is in French, and I am to say the date in French. The date of the month and the month I have down, but I am curious about the year. It is 1890. Would the French say 18-90 or one thousand eight hundred ninety. If some could give me a sound file for this it would be VERY helpful.
Hi Wayne

I have encountered both "one thousand eight hundred ninety" (mille huit cent quatre-vingt-dix) or "eighteen hundred ninety" (dix-huit cent quatre-vingt-dix). But not "eighteen-ninety", you don't say it like that in French.

I can make you a soundfile of whichever you prefer, but only tonight, I have no microphone with me at the moment.

Why do you think you need to say the date in French if the letter is translated into English ? :hmm:

Sonia
The date is still in French, but the letter is translated. Go figure.
Wayne
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalamareader wrote: May 31st, 2022, 4:47 pm Thanks so much. After all your hard work, the BC said to say the year in English. :lol:
:roll: next time lead with that that :lol:

Sonia