need help with new version audacity

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

I just uploaded (downloaded?) the new version of Audacity and it will not let me add edits. I get this message when I try to paste in my new edit "There is not enough room to paste the selection" and when I looked up the error it said "non-default settings in Track Behavior Preferences". When I went into the edit menu I found a place that said "track behavior" and I clicked it and this did not help. I have absolutely no idea what all this means or how to fix it. I am sorry I updated. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you from a complete computer moron!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Oh dear, that sounds not good. Audacity now defaults to this
In the preferences, Tracks > Track behaviors > Editing a clip can move other clips is now disabled by default. This makes multi-track editing easier (even if you're not using Sync Lock). You may now see an error saying that there isn't enough space when pasting clips in-between other clips though, so if that happens to you too frequently, you may want to turn it back on.
I think you need to turn off this in Preferences and it should go back to how it worked before. Please try it for the rest of us to see if it works. EDIT: Preferences can be found at the bottom of Edit, the last thing.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Bagpussbee

Post by Bagpussbee »

I'm jumping on this thread as I also updated today and it's not behaving as it was :( - in the previous version, when I stopped the recording (rather than paused it) I found I could then continue to record after that on the same 'track' but now it seems to separate it out into separate 'audio tracks' which are numbered. It doesn't affect how it plays back but it's just 'different' and I'm sure there are some preferences somewhere that will allow me to change it to how it was but I've looked at all the preferences and I don't know what to select :D
🐝 🐝 🌸
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Yes. The latest Audaity defaults to milti track editing. You need to change it in Preferences > Tracks. I will be testing this out tonight but someone with the latest version may try and report back before then.
Bagpussbee

Post by Bagpussbee »

Thanks Phil I will change it when I’m using it next.
🐝 🐝 🌸
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Bagpussbee wrote: October 29th, 2021, 11:47 am Thanks Phil I will change it when I’m using it next.
Please let us know if it works! :D
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

Hi, I went under Edit, Preferences, Track behaviors, and clicked the box that says Editing a clip can move other clips. I can now edit as usual. Maybe I haven't done it correctly but it now works. Thank you all for the interest, Rosie
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Roselbex wrote: October 29th, 2021, 12:16 pm Hi, I went under Edit, Preferences, Track behaviors, and clicked the box that says Editing a clip can move other clips. I can now edit as usual. Maybe I haven't done it correctly but it now works. Thank you all for the interest, Rosie
YES! That is of great help Rosie. Many, many people will be having the3 same problem in coming months and now we have at least a temporary fix for it. Thank !!! :thumbs:
Bagpussbee

Post by Bagpussbee »

philchenevert wrote: October 29th, 2021, 12:00 pm
Bagpussbee wrote: October 29th, 2021, 11:47 am Thanks Phil I will change it when I’m using it next.
Hi Phil, I’ve still not been able to change this, none of the settings in Preferences seem to be the settings I need to change… did you have any joy with it?
🐝 🐝 🌸
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Bagpussbee wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 12:20 pm
Hi Phil, I’ve still not been able to change this, none of the settings in Preferences seem to be the settings I need to change… did you have any joy with it?
What version of Audacity are you using? You can find this under Help
Bagpussbee

Post by Bagpussbee »

philchenevert wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 1:06 pm
Bagpussbee wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 12:20 pm

What version of Audacity are you using? You can find this under Help
It says 3.1.0
🐝 🐝 🌸
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Bagpussbee wrote: October 29th, 2021, 9:12 am I'm jumping on this thread as I also updated today and it's not behaving as it was :( - in the previous version, when I stopped the recording (rather than paused it) I found I could then continue to record after that on the same 'track' but now it seems to separate it out into separate 'audio tracks' which are numbered. It doesn't affect how it plays back but it's just 'different' and I'm sure there are some preferences somewhere that will allow me to change it to how it was but I've looked at all the preferences and I don't know what to select :D
I had forgotten about your original problem. Audacity has played around with this default of starting recording again on a new track or a new tarck. The current one I am using (2.4.2) deafults to continuing recording on the same track when I start again. To make a new track, for example when I need to insert a phrase, I must press Shift then start recording. It sounds like the latest version may have changed this. Try pressing Shift then Record and see if will record on the same track.