Reading a book already on LibriVox

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
sgreen2021

Post by sgreen2021 »

I am new on here, and wanted to ask: Would it be possible to read (record) a book that is already on LibriVox?

As for why I'd want to do this, I am interested in the book. Furthermore, the current recording is over a decade old now.

Is this something that is ever done?

Thanks,

Sam
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Certainly that is OK Sam. Some books are so beloved they have been recorded six or seven times. We call it "choice of voice" for listeners. So jump right in. :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

By the way, if you're new to recording, it will pay off to do a couple of shorter sections in group projects first to get some experience, which you can later use on the book you're interested in for a better result! :D

Also consider doing the 1-minute test to check your recording setup and tech specs: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
:thumbs:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

sgreen2021 wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 1:36 pm
Furthermore, the current recording is over a decade old now.
I have never thought age would either improve or damage my recordings here :hmm: . An interesting theory.
All jokes aside - I don't know anyone here who hasn't listened to their first recording and can see ways it could be improved. So doing what is suggested above and in your welcome email really is a good idea.

Anne
sgreen2021

Post by sgreen2021 »

Thank you everyone for the replies. :D I will take up your suggestions, practicing, and helping out with some collaborative projects first!

I would just like to clarify something about the way the process works, having read the Wiki page (How LibriVox Works). When I get around to doing the book I'm interested in, I'll post it in the Book Suggestions Forum. Am I correct that in this situation, what I'm doing here is essentially seeing if any BC will take up my suggestion?

Presumably, I won't have to, sort of, feign "anyone interested in recording this book?" and then reply to myself "Yes, I'll do that".

Also, I suppose this is why I brought up the age of the last recording - presumably BCs wouldn't want to spend time on book that had, for instance, been recorded just 4 weeks ago. (Therefore, the age of the most recent recording might affect the likelihood of a BC taking it up, --ran the thought. A book might become almost 'ripe for re-interpretation'.

Thanks

Sam
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No - you will be the BC, you will need to run the project. If you go to the launch pad and read the stickies at the start that will tell you all.

Book suggestions is for books that are not in the catalogue

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

annise wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 5:16 pm Book suggestions is for books that are not in the catalogue
.... and that you're not planning on reading yourself (any time soon). :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
sgreen2021

Post by sgreen2021 »

Thank you Annise and Availle