Audacity crashed

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
pmessina

Post by pmessina »

Hello,

I am having trouble with Audacity. When I attempted to save my file, Audacity crashed. I got the not responding message. Did I want to quit the program or wait? My file was saved as three Audacity files, one with the usual extension, the others with aup3-shm and aup3-wal. Any suggestions on how I can save my recording?

I was ready to finalize this recording and shudder at the thought of starting all over.

Thanks for your help.

Paula
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

:hmm:

I've had audacity crash on me a few times. Every time I started it up again, I got a message that read something like "do you want to recover this project". YES! I never had any data loss.

Audacity is a very resource-hungry little beast. While using it, try to close as many other programs (browser, office, whatever) to make sure audacity always has enough memory to function. Regular saving helps too.

Never rename or move any of the audacity folders or files. If you do that, you're in trouble and your recording cannot be recovered (unless you move/name it as it was originally).

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Unless you are creating and saving multiple track files, there is really no advantage (and some disadvantages) in saving files in .aup format. Just export your work in audacity as either .wav or .flac files, both of which are lossless formats and will reopen in Audacity (or any other audio editing program) for editing. Flac is a much smaller file if space is an issue.
Jo