Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello Vineymala,

Here's for the last two sentences: https://librivox.org/uploads/ezwa/French4Vineymala_20210915.mp3. I can't help with the first.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

ezwa wrote: September 15th, 2021, 8:59 am Hello Vineymala,

Here's for the last two sentences: https://librivox.org/uploads/ezwa/French4Vineymala_20210915.mp3. I can't help with the first.
Hi
Thanks for your help 😊
:D
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Hi
Need help again to pronounce

"_C'est rudement fort, tu sais.
Sapristi!_

_je suis bon garçon, moi_, but,
_mon Dieu, lorsqu'il y a un homme dans la question--sapristi, chaque
femme pour elle!_"

"_Io son felice--t'attendo in ciel!_"
:D
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello Vineymala,

In case, you're still waiting for it, here are the first two sentences : https://librivox.org/uploads/ezwa/French4Vineymala_20211012.mp3
"_C'est rudement fort, tu sais.
Sapristi!_

_je suis bon garçon, moi_, but,
_mon Dieu, lorsqu'il y a un homme dans la question--sapristi, chaque
femme pour elle!_"
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Hello,

There's a character named Viola in a book I'll be reading from. I've heard a few different pronunciations and I'm not finding consistent information on the internet, so I wanted to check in here and make sure that "VY-oh-la" is the typical name pronunciation if the character is British.

Thanks!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
maryannevoa

Post by maryannevoa »

Help with French, please!

I am recording Chapter 25 of Ellen Middleton. The problem is I do not read/speak French. The passage I need help with has been pasted below from the Gutenberg file: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31180.

"Une vie à bien faire uniquement passée
D'innocence, d'amour, d'espoir, de pureté,
Tant d'aspirations vers son Dieu répétées,
Tant de foi dans la mort, tant de vertus jetées
En gage à l'Immortalité.
"Tant de nuits sans sommeil pour veiller la souffrance,
Tant de pain retranché pour nourrir l'Indigence;
Tant de pleurs toujours prêts à s'unir à des pleurs,
Tant de soupirs brûlans vers une autre patrie,
Et tant de patience, à porter une vie,
Dont la Couronne était ailleurs."
LAMARTINE.

Can anyone record it for me so I can verbally copy it into my chapter?

Thank you in advance, Mary Balmer (maryannevoa)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

maryannevoa wrote: December 15th, 2021, 10:22 amCan anyone record it for me so I can verbally copy it into my chapter?
I have recorded it for you. Did I understand you correctly, you want to copy my voice into your file, you do not need a slower version for you to emulate the pronunciation ? So far I read it at normal speed.

I will wait for clarification before I upload.

Sonia
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sonia, if it's not too much trouble, do both, normal and slow, then Mary can choose.

This is for one of my MC projects (acting BC for Stav). My personal preference as MC/BC is that the reader does all the reading, but if it gets too much for Mary, I will not object to her inserting your recording in the section.

Thank you for helping, Sonia! :9:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 17th, 2021, 8:09 amSonia, if it's not too much trouble, do both, normal and slow, then Mary can choose.

This is for one of my MC projects (acting BC for Stav). My personal preference as MC/BC is that the reader does all the reading, but if it gets too much for Mary, I will not object to her inserting your recording in the section.
ah ok, now I already gave it my all with the "correct" version. It's a beautiful poem. But yes, I can understand if the reader wants to do her own version. I will do a slower version to practice and she can listen to the normal speed version to sound a bit more expressive (I can't be too expressive when I read in slow-mo :lol: )

Sonia
maryannevoa

Post by maryannevoa »

Thank you, Sonia for your help. Yes, what i would prefer is to listen to your recording, and do my best to copy what I hear. I only hope you won’t laugh too much when you hear my attempt! I have sung in several languages, but never excelled at French! LOL!

Most sincerely,

maryannevoa
Mary Balmer
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

maryannevoa wrote: December 17th, 2021, 7:39 pmThank you, Sonia for your help. Yes, what i would prefer is to listen to your recording, and do my best to copy what I hear. I only hope you won’t laugh too much when you hear my attempt! I have sung in several languages, but never excelled at French! LOL!
ok here we go: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ellenmiddleton_25_french_lamartine.mp3

The beginning, till 0:40 is the normal speed version, so you can hear how it should sound "with emotion". (do you need a translation too ?) From 0:43 till the end it's a slow version, where you can practice each word better.

If you are used to singing in other languages, I guess the "normal" version would even be best. I know from experience that I love to sing along with songs, even if I don't understand the language at all. I think I have a better accent at singing than at speaking some languages, simply because the rhythm helps the pronunciation. You may experience the same thing.

If you wish I can have a listen to your attempt later on and if you want I can point out if some things are still hard to understand. :)

Sonia
maryannevoa

Post by maryannevoa »

Sonia,

You have a lovely voice! Now i must get to work to do my best to imitate it!

Thank you again for helping me!

(And you are correct in saying it is somewhat easier to sing in a foreign language as the music itself can be an aid. Also, I do have a translation.)

Mary
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Hello :)

I'm reading a book in English whose author has decided to put in two untranslated pieces of French text. If you'd be interested in reading those for me, you can find them in https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/55492/pg55492-images.html#CHAPTER_VIII (the first is a letter on the page 167 and then, shortly after that is a French announcement of a play.) The project is MCed by knotyoraveragejo viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81355
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Piotrek81 wrote: December 19th, 2021, 5:28 amI'm reading a book in English whose author has decided to put in two untranslated pieces of French text. If you'd be interested in reading those for me, you can find them in https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/55492/pg55492-images.html#CHAPTER_VIII (the first is a letter on the page 167 and then, shortly after that is a French announcement of a play.) The project is MCed by knotyoraveragejo viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81355
I can record the two pieces for you, Piotr :) will post them in the thread once it's done. Actually it's a letter from Sarah Bernardt, which will sound nice with a female voice. :)

I moved your question to the correct thread for help in other languages so we can pool them all in one thread.

Sonia
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Kitty wrote: December 19th, 2021, 7:30 am
Piotrek81 wrote: December 19th, 2021, 5:28 amI'm reading a book in English whose author has decided to put in two untranslated pieces of French text. If you'd be interested in reading those for me, you can find them in https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/55492/pg55492-images.html#CHAPTER_VIII (the first is a letter on the page 167 and then, shortly after that is a French announcement of a play.) The project is MCed by knotyoraveragejo viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81355
I can record the two pieces for you, Piotr :) will post them in the thread once it's done. Actually it's a letter from Sarah Bernardt, which will sound nice with a female voice. :)

I moved your question to the correct thread for help in other languages so we can pool them all in one thread.

Sonia
Thank you :) I couldn't decide where to post it.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS