Pronunciation help: all languages

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

jazzman wrote: July 31st, 2021, 2:05 pm Need help pronouncing some Greek words referenced in a Hebrew translation of Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.
Would you like modern pronunciation (used by the Greeks), Erasmian pronunciation (used by foreign students of Ancient Greek), or historical pronunciation (used by the author)? Phonetic transcription or recording?

Michael
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Kazbek wrote: July 31st, 2021, 3:22 pm
jazzman wrote: July 31st, 2021, 2:05 pm Need help pronouncing some Greek words referenced in a Hebrew translation of Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.
Would you like modern pronunciation (used by the Greeks), Erasmian pronunciation (used by foreign students of Ancient Greek), or historical pronunciation (used by the author)? Phonetic transcription or recording?

Michael
Good questions! I didn't even know there were different pronunciations :lol:
I guess what would be most useful would be a pronunciation that someone who knows Greek today would be most likely to understand, so I think modern pronunciation would be best...
A phonetic transcription would probably suffice, as long as it's with recognizable English characters. I have a hard time with those IPA characters :lol:
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

jazzman wrote: July 31st, 2021, 10:10 am
jazzman wrote: July 31st, 2021, 9:09 am
InTheDesert wrote: July 28th, 2021, 8:03 am A book I'm working on has occasional sentences of untranslated Hebrew. I'd love someone to record the phrases for me if it's possible but I'm ok with a transliteration.

The first one is in the middle of the page: https://archive.org/details/conciliatoryorir00wits/page/30/mode/1up
The next pair is at the bottom of the page: https://archive.org/details/conciliatoryorir00wits/page/43/mode/1up
The next pair is in the middle and at the bottom: https://archive.org/details/conciliatoryorir00wits/page/78/mode/1up

Many thanks.
I can take these on. Do you prefer I read just the Hebrew text? Might be a better flow if I read the associated sentence.
Ok, I just did both :lol:
Here's the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/hebrew-for-inthedesert.mp3
Fabulous!! There might be 2 or 3 more in the future - I might ask again. Really appreciate the help.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

jazzman wrote: July 31st, 2021, 5:50 pm Good questions! I didn't even know there were different pronunciations :lol:
I guess what would be most useful would be a pronunciation that someone who knows Greek today would be most likely to understand, so I think modern pronunciation would be best...
A phonetic transcription would probably suffice, as long as it's with recognizable English characters. I have a hard time with those IPA characters :lol:
Ok, I'll give you English approximations, even though English is not the best language for phonetic transcription. :) I'm using "o" and "i" to denote simple sounds (like "awe" and "ee"). English speakers usually have difficulty saying "eh" at the end of a word without turning it into "ey", but you probably won't have that issue.

Τὴν ὑποληπτικὴν δύναμιν σέβε tin i-po-lip-ti-KEEN DEE-nah-min SEH-veh
τιμήσῃς ti-MEE-sis

λόγος σπερματικός LO-gos sper-mah-ti-KOS
Ὀλίγα πρῆσσε o-LEE-gah PREES-seh
νῆφε ἀνειμένος NEE-feh ah-ni-MEH-nos
φρονίμους fro-NEE-moos

Michael
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Hi
Can anyone help in pronouncing

â?¢

Mais elle est
magnifique!

"_Mais elle
est superbe!
:D
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Kazbek wrote: August 1st, 2021, 7:44 am
jazzman wrote: July 31st, 2021, 5:50 pm Good questions! I didn't even know there were different pronunciations :lol:
Ok, I'll give you English approximations, even though English is not the best language for phonetic transcription. :) I'm using "o" and "i" to denote simple sounds (like "awe" and "ee"). English speakers usually have difficulty saying "eh" at the end of a word without turning it into "ey", but you probably won't have that issue.

Τὴν ὑποληπτικὴν δύναμιν σέβε tin i-po-lip-ti-KEEN DEE-nah-min SEH-veh
τιμήσῃς ti-MEE-sis

λόγος σπερματικός LO-gos sper-mah-ti-KOS
Ὀλίγα πρῆσσε o-LEE-gah PREES-seh
νῆφε ἀνειμένος NEE-feh ah-ni-MEH-nos
φρονίμους fro-NEE-moos

Michael
Thanks a lot for the transcriptions, Michael.
Really appreciate it :)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm reading a book on gardening written in the 18th century: https://archive.org/details/dissertationonor00cham/page/n7/mode/2up

In footnotes on pages 90 and 91 the author quotes a couple of verses in Chinese, then gives French and English translations of them. Could speakers of Chinese and of French record the verses in their languages for me, please?

The English translation of the verses may help with the meaning of the transcribed Chinese verses, and of the probably archaic French.

I may have mixed up f's and s's, as the text uses the old long S.

The Chinese verses are transliterated by the author as follows :

Lon li hhouang y te ku shi
Jao ine siou sha iao thao hhoa
I tiene shine hhene iou hiene hhoa
Ki toane giou hhoene pou soane ki

Neune ffe pe theon ine iou ki
Hhoa moe choang hiaa khi von fzeu
Ju ho pou taï tehune tsane azeu
Je ie chi chi tzeu thon shi.

And the French translation of the verses is given below. I'm happy to either attempt to follow your pronunciation or to insert your reading of them, as you choose.

A peine la saison du printems est venue, que le saule couvre d'une robe verte la couleur jaune de son bois. Sa beauté fait honte au pêcher, qui de dépit arrache les fleurs qui le parent, et les répand sur la terre; l'éclat des plus vives couleurs ne peut se comparer aux graces simples et touchantes de cet arbre. Il prévient le printems, et sans avoir besoin du vers-à-soye, il revêt ses feuilles et ses branches d'un duvet veloutê que cet insecte n'a point file.

Translated into English as:

Scarce dawns the genial year; its yellow sprays
The sprightly willow clothes in robes of green:
Blushing with shame the gaudy peach is seen;
She sheds her blossoms and with spleen decays.

Soft harbinger of Spring! What glowing rays,
What colours with thy modest charms may vie?
No silk-worm decks thy shade; nor could supply
The velvet down thy shining leaf displays.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Vineymala wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 10:53 amHi

Mais elle est
magnifique!

Mais elle
est superbe!
here it is, first slow, then faster: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french-vineymala_2.mp3

Sonia
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Kitty wrote: August 5th, 2021, 1:29 am

Mais elle est
magnifique!

Mais elle
est superbe!
here it is, first slow, then faster: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french-vineymala_2.mp3

Sonia
Hi
Thanks, for helping me out once again. I may need your help in few other chapters.
Regards
Viney Mala
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Kitty wrote: August 5th, 2021, 1:29 am

Mais elle est
magnifique!

Mais elle
est superbe!

Sonia
Hi
Thanks for helping me out once again. I may need your help in few more chapters.

Regards
Viney Mala
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Peter Why wrote: August 5th, 2021, 12:57 amAnd the French translation of the verses is given below. I'm happy to either attempt to follow your pronunciation or to insert your reading of them, as you choose.

A peine la saison du printems est venue, que le saule couvre d'une robe verte la couleur jaune de son bois. Sa beauté fait honte au pêcher, qui de dépit arrache les fleurs qui le parent, et les répand sur la terre; l'éclat des plus vives couleurs ne peut se comparer aux graces simples et touchantes de cet arbre. Il prévient le printems, et sans avoir besoin du vers-à-soye, il revêt ses feuilles et ses branches d'un duvet veloutê que cet insecte n'a point file.
here is the French text, first word by word then fluently, starting at 2:33.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french-peterwhy.mp3

The text is not ancient French, just the spelling is a bit antiquated. I only found one typo, the final word must be "filé" not "file" which wouldn't make sense to me in context. So I used the pronunciation for "filé".

If you want me to have a listen and feedback of your version you can send it to me via PM. :)

Sonia
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you very much, Kitty; I've sent my ... probably very slow ... reading of those verses to you.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Hi

Need help to pronounce

, _un port de reine_,--_absolument, un port de reine_

, _par le temps qui court? Mais je me perds_.

_Estelle, où est ta flanelle?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Vineymala wrote: August 7th, 2021, 1:53 am _un port de reine_,--_absolument, un port de reine_
_par le temps qui court? Mais je me perds_.
here is a soundfile: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french-sentences-vineymala.mp3

it means:

1. the bearing of a queen, definitely the bearing of a queen
2. during times such as these ? But I digress...
3. Estelle, where is your flanel ?

bizarre sentences, what kind of text is this ? :hmm:

Sonia
Vineymala

Post by Vineymala »

Kitty wrote: August 8th, 2021, 1:28 am
Vineymala wrote: August 7th, 2021, 1:53 am _un port de reine_,--_absolument, un port de reine_
_par le temps qui court? Mais je me perds_.
here is a soundfile: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/french-sentences-vineymala.mp3

it means:

1. the bearing of a queen, definitely the bearing of a queen
2. during times such as these ? But I digress...
3. Estelle, where is your flanel ?

bizarre sentences, what kind of text is this ? :hmm:

Sonia
Hi

Thank you so much 😊