Are Constitutions Free From Copyright Restrictions?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

I wanted to put suggestion to read the Indian Constitution(Not any book based on it).But,I wanted to be sure whether Constitutions have any Copyright Restrictions implied on them.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I would assume that depends on the country? I don't think there's a general answer for each and any constitution that's out there.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Availle wrote: July 27th, 2021, 3:22 am I would assume that depends on the country? I don't think there's a general answer for each and any constitution that's out there.
But,I was thinking that why would any Country put Copyright Restrictions on its Constitution.
Won't it rather want people(Either Countrymen or Foreigner) to read it to be aware of its Laws?

Okay,let me check something.

By the way,I visited Your Website.I was wondering if You felt away from Your Home while living in the other Nations.You look somewhat Asian.
I thought You would have Whitish hair.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Here Is The Text:
https://legislative.gov.in/constitution-of-india

Here Are The Website Policies(Includes Copyright Policies):
https://legislative.gov.in/website-policy

It seems Like a Legit Goverment Website to me.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The material may be under a creative commons license, which is somewhat in between copyrighted and public domain.

The copyright notice on the website does not say anything about it in particular, but certain things give me pause (in bold):
1.Copyright policy

Material featured on this Website may be reproduced free of charge after taking proper permission by sending a mail to us. However, the material has to be reproduced accurately and not to be used in a derogatory manner or in a misleading context. Wherever the material is being published or issued to others, the source must be prominently acknowledged. However, the permission to reproduce this material shall not extend to any material which is identified as being copyright of a third party. Authorisation to reproduce such material must be obtained from the departments/copyright holders concerned.
The first part does not point towards public domain; the "free of charge" is meaningless in this instance.
The second part is something we cannot guarantee since we place our recordings in the public domain which means the link to the source may not be used by anyone else distributing our audio files.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd stay away from this.
Plus, already the table of contents puts me to sleep... :lol:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

Availle wrote: July 27th, 2021, 6:05 am The material may be under a creative commons license, which is somewhat in between copyrighted and public domain.

The copyright notice on the website does not say anything about it in particular, but certain things give me pause (in bold):
1.Copyright policy

Material featured on this Website may be reproduced free of charge after taking proper permission by sending a mail to us. However, the material has to be reproduced accurately and not to be used in a derogatory manner or in a misleading context. Wherever the material is being published or issued to others, the source must be prominently acknowledged. However, the permission to reproduce this material shall not extend to any material which is identified as being copyright of a third party. Authorisation to reproduce such material must be obtained from the departments/copyright holders concerned.
The first part does not point towards public domain; the "free of charge" is meaningless in this instance.
The second part is something we cannot guarantee since we place our recordings in the public domain which means the link to the source may not be used by anyone else distributing our audio files.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd stay away from this.
Plus, already the table of contents puts me to sleep... :lol:
Understandable,our Constitution is (Probably) the Second Largest. :)