Technical issue (insufficient preamp)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Maxvlad

Post by Maxvlad »

Hey guys, I'm brand new around here and excited to work on some projects, but I'm having some difficulties with the home studio. I tried to work with 'industry standards' so I have an Mbox3 and a Shure SM7B, as I had understood these both to be studio staples. Unfortunately, I've found that the Mbox3 doesn't actually run a 74db of gain, it has 54 with a range of 74 when they include the -20db pad. My mic evidently needs 60db. This leaves me with a very quiet recording, which would require me pretty much yelling to reach appropriate levels. Can anyone advise a solution? Given the expense of either unit, I'd hate to waste one or the other. On the other hand, if I were to add something like an alternative preamp to the line, would I suffer a loss in quality? As stated, I'm a newbie here so please correct any errant assumptions on my part along with any advice you may have. Thank you!

-Max
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

You could get an inline preamp which would give about +20dB but why not just up the necessary dB when you edit in whatever program you use? A extra few dB of gain there may do the trick. I would advise against using too much voice (shouting) as you will get sore vocal chords and it will sound odd. Any additional preamp gain won't necessarily change the quality. Make sure you close mic at about 3-6 inches though. You really only need about 6-10dB of gain so it's not a big deal. (The SM7B mic is a lowish output dynamic mic but if I remember it is designed I think for close mic use. What editing program are you going to use?)
Maxvlad

Post by Maxvlad »

Good morning! Thank you for the response. I'm currently running Audacity. I was unable to locate any settings that would further increase my gain to bring my recording to an acceptable level.
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

In Audacity with file loaded go to "effect" on top list and then "amplify" - you get a small box - dial in the dB increase you require - The peak should be -3.dB to avoid clipping - and it will do it. Works fine. You need to check file in Checker program of Librivox. You can download it.
Maxvlad

Post by Maxvlad »

Fantastic! This looks like it may do the trick. Thank you so much. I'll get my one-minute test recorded and submitted! Thanks again!