Can I do any book on the PD?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
SimileRoss

Post by SimileRoss » November 22nd, 2020, 11:40 am

So... I have a book that I really want to do for LibriVox, even though its already on LibriVox. Can I still do it, or do I just do one thats in the Readers Wanted forum?
Thank you!
Simile :P :roll:

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » November 22nd, 2020, 1:38 pm

You can record any book that is in the public domain in the U.S. for LibriVox. Yes, you can do a second (third, fourth, etc) version of a book already in the LibriVox catalog. Books in the Readers Wanted forum are collaborative projects that have been launched as a group project by a someone who then becomes the Book Coordinator (BC) for the project.

However, before you start, please have a look at the NewbieGuideToRecording if you haven't already done so.

Next, even if you are experienced with recording elsewhere, please send in a short test recording to check that all the technical settings meet LibriVox requirements before recording a full chapter. 

1-Minute_Test

Also as a new reader, we strongly recommend that you record a section or two in one of those group projects before embarking on a solo, so that you can get a sense of the amount of time and effort a commitment to a solo recording of an entire book would entail, as well as become a little familiar with the community here and our process for submitting files, prooflistening, etc. before starting off on your first solo project.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

SimileRoss

Post by SimileRoss » November 23rd, 2020, 9:25 am

Thank You! I did the one minute test, but didnt know I had to send it in so I'll do so right away.
Thank you,
Simile :)