Press representative

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 12th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Does LivriVox have someone in the United States who may speak for the organization to the press?
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » June 12th, 2019, 3:52 pm

We don't have an official press rep, no.

We ask for volunteers to answer someone's questions on an ad hoc basis. It doesn't have to be an admin; someone who has been around a while and "gets it" is just as welcome to speak for LV. Is there something specific going on that needs addressing?
Nonfiction: Human Radiation Experiments HERE
Insomnia Collection!
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 12th, 2019, 4:21 pm

TriciaG wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 3:52 pm

We ask for volunteers to answer someone's questions on an ad hoc basis. It doesn't have to be an admin; someone who has been around a while and "gets it" is just as welcome to speak for LV. Is there something specific going on that needs addressing?
I have a meeting with a local theater group soon and want to encourage them to create a performance for LibriVox, in the usual way, of course. I would help them get everything in order.

The group always appreciates publicity for their fundraising and I think they would ask the small, local press to cover their activities or at least announce a successful completion.

I'm just thinking ahead should the press want to learn more about LibriVox. I could talk about my own experience, but it would be nice, should this come about, that someone with a certain authority be available.

Authority may be a poor choice of words. Let's just say a veteran of some years.
E agora, José?

ej400

Post by ej400 » June 12th, 2019, 4:29 pm

KevinS wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 4:21 pm
TriciaG wrote:

I have a meeting with a local theater group soon and want to encourage them to create a performance for LibriVox, in the usual way, of course. I would help them get everything in order.

The group always appreciates publicity for their fundraising and I think they would ask the small, local press to cover their activities or at least announce a successful completion.

I'm just thinking ahead should the press want to learn more about LibriVox. I could talk about my own experience, but it would be nice, should this come about, that someone with a certain authority be available.

Authority may be a poor choice of words. Let's just say a veteran of some years.
Someone could type something up for you, and PM it to you, and you could print it off, and hopefully not have stage freight. Or you could have a couple volunteers that have been here for a little bit, share their experience and send it to you? (I would!)

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 12th, 2019, 5:20 pm

ej400 wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 4:29 pm
KevinS wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 4:21 pm
TriciaG wrote:

Someone could type something up for you, and PM it to you, and you could print it off, and hopefully not have stage freight. Or you could have a couple volunteers that have been here for a little bit, share their experience and send it to you? (I would!)
Thanks very much.

After my teaching career, I moved into public relations so I don't think I'd get stage fright. Most reporters like talking with people rather than working off written statements (at least they used to prefer this) and I've only been formally signed on here for just over two months.
E agora, José?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » June 12th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Speaking with someone is not something that is possible with a totally web-based site. We don't have an office, we don't have a phone, we are not all awake at the same time.
Just a reminder about getting your theatre group involved, they must understand that we can only use PD texts without modernisations and that their performances would be PD. It's a good idea to tell them early, it is often a sticking point, especially if any of them have professional aspirations.

It can be hard to get good sound quality too.
I'm not trying to be pessimistic, it just that I've tried to help people achieve this and only succeeded once in a somewhat related idea. There were problems with inexperienced actors and a single microphone but it was catalogued.

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 12th, 2019, 7:10 pm

annise wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 5:57 pm
Speaking with someone is not something that is possible with a totally web-based site. We don't have an office, we don't have a phone, we are not all awake at the same time.
Just a reminder about getting your theatre group involved, they must understand that we can only use PD texts without modernisations and that their performances would be PD. It's a good idea to tell them early, it is often a sticking point, especially if any of them have professional aspirations.

It can be hard to get good sound quality too.
I'm not trying to be pessimistic, it just that I've tried to help people achieve this and only succeeded once in a somewhat related idea. There were problems with inexperienced actors and a single microphone but it was catalogued.

Anne
I appreciate your comments and advice. I think things can be worked out, but I am cautiously---underline cautiously---optimistic at best.
E agora, José?