Warm up exercises

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 10th, 2019, 2:08 pm

I feel silly doing them and I usually warm up just by talking to the cat for a bit. (In his language, if you must know.)

Does anyone have advice, encouragement, disavowals...?
E agora, José?

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » June 10th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Warm up? What for? I never warm up before I read to a friend, so why should I do that before I record?

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 10th, 2019, 3:00 pm

moniaqua wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 2:45 pm
Warm up? What for? I never warm up before I read to a friend, so why should I do that before I record?
You're fortunate. I seem to be sluggish in all things til my joints get oiled. I must be the Tin Man!
E agora, José?

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 10th, 2019, 5:32 pm

You're more organized than most of us, I guess.

I do two things. First, I try to remember to hydrate (way in advance and during), and second, I read a couple paragraphs aloud to get up to speed and to remind my eyes how to follow the text, or rather, how to precede my reading (which I try to learn to do all the time, but I'm still not so good at it).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 10th, 2019, 5:54 pm

tovarisch wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 5:32 pm
You're more organized than most of us, I guess.

I do two things. First, I try to remember to hydrate (way in advance and during), and second, I read a couple paragraphs aloud to get up to speed and to remind my eyes how to follow the text, or rather, how to precede my reading (which I try to learn to do all the time, but I'm still not so good at it).
I know what you mean about the eyes moving faster than the reading. It is difficult. A lot depends on the text, of course.

As for hydrating, I drink more coffee than water. That's probably a mistake.
E agora, José?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » June 10th, 2019, 7:07 pm

viewtopic.php?p=299955#p299955 has a link to warm-ups , there are more posts, it's just a bit difficult to find them

If you are spending long periods of time recording, it is my understanding that some warmup will help to prevent vocal chord damage. It probably helps concentrate the mind too :D

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 10th, 2019, 7:42 pm

annise wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 7:07 pm
viewtopic.php?p=299955#p299955 has a link to warm-ups , there are more posts, it's just a bit difficult to find them

If you are spending long periods of time recording, it is my understanding that some warmup will help to prevent vocal chord damage. It probably helps concentrate the mind too :D

Anne
Thank you. I`ll have a look tomorrow!
E agora, José?

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » June 11th, 2019, 8:24 am

I just blow my nose and make sure the mic's plugged in.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

ej400

Post by ej400 » June 11th, 2019, 8:37 am

I don't do warm up practices, even if I woke up like 10 minutes before starting. I don't know what I'd need to do with my voice so much, to warm up, maybe talk for about 20 seconds and "wake my voice up". But honestly, if you need to warm up, for long sections, yes, I would suggest stretching before reading, or your joints will get really sore from sitting for way too long (it's from personal experience). I have noticed though, a small warm up does help. And drink water once your throat starts hurting.

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » June 11th, 2019, 9:06 am

No warm up exercises for me either. I just make sure the mic is plugged in, Audacity set to begin, and that I have a bottle of water next to me for if/when I need to hydrate my mouth.

One thing I will do for each recording, is to record again (at the tail end of the file) the first minute or two of the section/chapter. This way the beginning of the reading could be considered a warm-up, and can be replaced with the "warmed up" re-record at the end, if I find I need it.

Most often I just need to cut off the re-recorded section at the end during editing, but sometimes I cut and paste certain pieces if I get off to a less than good start. :D

Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Central League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe on the Giants

KevinS

Post by KevinS » June 11th, 2019, 9:26 am

DACSoft wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 9:06 am
No warm up exercises for me either. I just make sure the mic is plugged in, Audacity set to begin, and that I have a bottle of water next to me for if/when I need to hydrate my mouth.

One thing I will do for each recording, is to record again (at the tail end of the file) the first minute or two of the section/chapter. This way the beginning of the reading could be considered a warm-up, and can be replaced with the "warmed up" re-record at the end, if I find I need it.

Most often I just need to cut off the re-recorded section at the end during editing, but sometimes I cut and paste certain pieces if I get off to a less than good start. :D

Don
That`s a great idea!
E agora, José?

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj » June 11th, 2019, 9:59 pm

sjmarky wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 8:24 am
I just blow my nose and make sure the mic's plugged in.
This is before you hit the "record" button, right, Mark? :P
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

moniaqua

Post by moniaqua » June 11th, 2019, 11:17 pm

k5hsj wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 9:59 pm

This is before you hit the "record" button, right, Mark? :P
If he uses Audacity, I guess that it's even before starting the Program :lol: