Help with French, please--The French pronunciation thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
millianna

Post by millianna »

Hello Jan,

The first three phrases are (almost) good French, but the two last ones are in some kind of dialect. Where does the gruff, elder male comes from?
Camille
Camille
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Greetings, Camille--
Thank you so much for your response! He is an older Russian man, a real "poser." My Proof Listener has signed off on my garbled version given the fact that our elderly Russian is always drunk, probably DOES NOT REALLY know any French, and undoubtedly never EVER met Napolean.

I received his PL OKAY message in the wee hours this morning and got up early to let you know that help is now not needed. But I have certainly learned, and am humbled by it, that my 61-year-old English-only mouth WILL NOT shape itself to make credibly French-sounding words! Alas!

Sincerely,
Jan
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
nickbulka

Post by nickbulka »

:help:

If some kind soul would help me with French pronunciation of these passages, I would be appreciative:

Le plus grand tort de la plupart des maris envers
leurs femmes, c'est de les avoir épousées."

Je ne me sens jamais plus seulque loreqae je livre
mon coeur à quelque ami"

MAUPASSANT.

thanks
nick
-nick
-------------------------------
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Here you are, Nick: http://uploads.librivox.org/ezwa/french4nickbulka_20160315.mp3

And here's what I read:
"Le plus grand tort de la plupart des maris envers
leurs femmes, c'est de les avoir épousées.

Je ne me sens jamais plus seul que lorsque je livre
mon coeur à quelque ami.

MAUPASSANT"
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
nickbulka

Post by nickbulka »

ezwa wrote:Here you are, Nick: http://uploads.librivox.org/ezwa/french4nickbulka_20160315.mp3

And here's what I read:
"Le plus grand tort de la plupart des maris envers
leurs femmes, c'est de les avoir épousées.

Je ne me sens jamais plus seul que lorsque je livre
mon coeur à quelque ami.

MAUPASSANT"
wow! that was fast. Thanks so much!

nick
-nick
-------------------------------
jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Help please! This is (for me) a long passage to try to do credit to in French. A slow-mo recording would really be an assist. I can get the fast-mo version on Lingutec.

" £tes-vous sur que l'Angleterre soit parti du monde que nous habitons, nous les Russes ? Ici, on ne comprend rien a rien. Chez eux, on sait a l'avance tout
sur tout. C'est reposant, mais comme cela me parait vide."
Jan M

"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature."
--P.G. Wodehouse
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Here you are: https://librivox.org/uploads/ezwa/french4jmoorehouse_20190119.mp3

" Êtes-vous sûr que l'Angleterre soit parti du monde que nous _ habitons, nous les Russes ? Ici, on ne comprend rien _ à rien. Chez _ eux, on sait _ à l'avance tout
sur tout. C'est reposant, mais comme cela me parait vide."
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »

jmoorehouse

Post by jmoorehouse »

Oh my! Thank you SO MUCH! May I come back to you for more from time to time, until this book is complete? :clap:
Jan M

--P.G. Wodehouse
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Yes, sure, Jan.
I'm sometimes a bit slow at replying but I'd get back to you at some point if it were the case.
Ezwa

Boileau

Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

I would very much appreciate it if someone could help me with these two short sentence fragments. I'm totally incompetent at French pronunciation, I blush to admit. :oops:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vK9v7O8TSBrrR0ZwsO3Vv8Shz7EwLuHs/view?usp=sharing

If possible, a recording that I could just paste into the book I'm reading would be wonderful. Thanks so much for the help.

Steve Seitel
...and then I thought: "Oh, what the Heck? Why not?..." —W.O.B.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Ezwa

Boileau

Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Oh Thank you, thank you Ezwa. That’s exactly what is needed!

I’ll give you the credit in the chapter intro.

Steve
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Oh, Dear... :help:

[Request for help deleted; I managed to struggle through the last line with some coaching from a friend.]

Thank you, Steve
Last edited by Steven Seitel on February 18th, 2019, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven Seitel

Post by Steven Seitel »

Will someone please help me speak 2 short excerpts from the Song Of Roland? I cannot begin to do justice to the spoken French myself:

1. Chanson de Roland

2. Mor est mis nies ki tant soleit cunquere
Encuntre mei revelerunt li Saisne
Et Hungre et Bugre et tante gent averse,
Romain, Puillain et tuit cil de Palerne
E cil d'Affrike e cil de Califerne

A recording--preferably moderately paced--that can be inserted into the English narration would be greatly appreciated. The book is A History of California: the Spanish Period, by Charles E. Chapman. The excerpts appear in Chapter 6. Here's a link to the source text, which is fascinating:

https://archive.org/details/historyofcalifor00chapuoft/page/n11

Of course I'll be sure to credit your help. Many thanks in advance,

Steve Seitel
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Steven Seitel wrote: February 18th, 2019, 2:40 pm Will someone please help me speak 2 short excerpts from the Song Of Roland? I cannot begin to do justice to the spoken French myself:
hi Steve

for the record, this excerpt is in OLD French, not the modern language at all. So the pronunciation is quite tricky. I studied the chanson de Roland in my medieval courses at university and I can try to do it justice, but I'm far from being an expert. If you have time, I can do you a soundfile tomorrow, unless someone does it before me.

Do you also need a translation ?

Sonia