How many projects at a time?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hi everyone,
I am a semi-new BC (I am pretty far along in my first group project, Tom Sawyer) and Phil Chenevert told me to finish this project before I start another. That is definitely my plan, but once I get this catalogued, can I take on two more new projects(at the same time?) I have been able to keep up fairly easily with this first one (I am also DPLing for one book and reading for another) and I've been juggling all three fine.
Any advice is appreciated :wink:

Best,
JayKitty
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, I think that's fine. I think the holding of the reins that was done before was to make sure you would enjoy all this enough to stick around and see it through. :) It's easy to bite of a big chunk right at the start, then choke on it.

On the other hand, opening more projects doesn't necessarily mean you'll be that much busier. I've been surprised sometimes at how certain projects I think will be popular don't even get one claim for several weeks after launch! :shock: On the OTHER other hand, you COULD be that much busier with more projects. It's a roll of the dice, really. Kinda like not knowing how busy you'll be PL'ing. :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I concur JayKitty; you have been doing a good job of Tom Sawyer. It is 100% claimed now and 66 % complete which is nice. The last stretch of this book may take a significant amount of time and may drag on so I think you could definitely open up another project whenever you wish and not necessarily wait for this one to finish. Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yes, I've sometimes had 7 or 8 projects going at once, but almost no activity in them. You can never really tell. Right now I think I've got 6 current projects I'm BC'ing. The danger is starting more projects because the ones I have are not moving, then all of a sudden, people become interested in all of them all at once!

You are the best judge of how much you can handle all at one time. Some people of course have more time to dedicate to this than others. Now that you've had some experience with the work flow and the duties of a BC, you'll be better able to judge how much you're able to handle.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thank you Tricia, Phil and Devorah for your time! I was excited to begin a couple more projects (The Adventures of Huck Finn and Emily of New Moon [Emily of course once the PD-new-year rolls around]) so thank you!
I don't intend to really do PLing myself, unless I can't find a DPL at all.
Thanks for your help!! :D :D
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~