Death dates for obscure writers

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Does anyone know the date of Alan Graham's death - who wrote "The BAT & BELFRY INN"? It was in a collection of best English short stories in 1922. I can't find the date anywhere and I'm now worried as I've recorded about three quarters of the text and by the fact that he may have died after 1948 - as in the UK we have to have 70 years after any author's death.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't have the resources RuthieG used to. I know she used to search in the British Library and the Dictionary of National Biography.

Can you log into the DNB? I did a search there for "Person Name Mentioned" "Alan Graham". I cannot read the full article it returned because I can't login. But here was the abstract:
Salmond, James Bell (1891–1958), journal editor and writer
Silvie Taylor

Published in print:
23 September 2004

Published online:
23 September 2004

Kesson , Eric Linklater , and Lewis Grassic Gibbon —among early contributors—were grateful for Salmond's counsel and encouragement and welcome guests at his home. Preferring a degree of anonymity for himself, his own articles were published under the pseudonyms Wayfarer and Alan Graham. Fascinated by General Wade's prowess in road building he published Wade in Scotland in 1934, which is still consulted. His poetry was published in The Old Stalker two years later, and his Songs of Dundee set to music by his sister-in-law Phoebe Chalmers . During the Second
I don't know if this is the same person. Hopefully you can research it further.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I can't log in and I've just tried the British Library without success. Thanks for the suggestions.
Veggrower

Post by Veggrower »

Hi,
According to this site, http://www.philsp.com/homeville/anth/s106.htm#A4199, Alan Graham is a pseudonym of Alexander Cathie McKissock (1879-1942). The Bat and Belfry Inn is mentioned there. Hope this helps,

Garth
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Wow - great find! 8-)

Lucherlover, please include all that info (Alan Graham, pseudonym of X) when you submit your recording, so we can have it right in the author database.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Many thanks for that brilliant detective work!

It means he is PD (died 76 years ago) so I'm OK. Yes, I will include all that information when I upload in a few days time.

Peter