Multiple e-mail notifications for forum posts in phpBB 3.2

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Since we upgraded the forum software, I have been getting e-mails every time someone posts in a topic I'm subscribed to. Prior to the forum upgrade, I would get one e-mail per topic until I visited the topic.

I've looked into this change a bit - because it also happens on another forum that I am active on. Checking over there, I found a reference to this bug report on phpBB 3.2: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14754
In 3.2 it is possible to be choose to be notified only by email.

When choosing to be notified only by email, subscribing to a topic sends an email for every single reply to that topic. This is far too much email spam and contradicts what the email says it will do.

When choosing to be notified by both email and board notification, you will receive an email and won't receive a new email until you visit the topic.
In reading through the comments on this bug report, it seems that there is no fix for those of us who like to use e-mails rather than the notification center to monitor activity in subscribed topics, except to turn on both board notifications and e-mail and then ignore the notification center.

I have turned on board notifications tonight, and as expected, I am now receiving only one e-mail per topic.

Thought I would share in case others have experienced this as well.

MaryAnn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Good sleuthing! I was just wondering if your problem had cleared up.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Cori

Post by Cori »

That's really weird default behaviour. I'm glad there's a kind of workaround, but it's a shame it's not more flexible.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!