ReVoxer - the LibriVox Recorder Development Proj

Non-reading activities need your help too!
tshirt

Post by tshirt »

kri wrote: Maybe you could even include a feature for this into ReVoxer itself. This would probably be a feature to be added when the core important stuff is set. For example, you could put something akin to a link in the text where you have the presence of a note. When one clicks on the [1] or * that marks a note, it would pause the recording and pop up a little text box with the footnote so you can read it.
This is a neat way to use ReVoxer audio; and we **should**
have a way to handle footnotes in some way, since they
appear in all sorts of books. Thanks for raising the issue.

However I am not convinced whether this could be better
handled by ReVoxer than by html or xml. Orchestrating
nonlinear content, as in the example of footnotes, could
be better handled by standard document markup; however
this remains to be confirmed with evidence (i.e. till we have
a prototype). More importantly there will be all sorts of text
rendering issues that we need to deal with if we make it a
ReVoxer a standalone book reader; people will want rich
content with images, video and other media in their books,
and we will have difficulty in having ReVoxer handle all these
in one package.

My point is, ReVoxer has to be flexible and extensible enough to be
used by other applications (like web pages and xml documents). Once
we achieve such flexibility, we will be able to to harness functionalities
that those applications provide; like footnotes as you said and many
others that we cannot think of or imagine now.
-umut
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hmmmm.

Okay, I just discovered LibriVox in the last 24 hours, and had already thought about a project like this before I discovered this thread.

However:

I thought tackling an audio editor would be a crazily ambitious project, especially when there are so many out there with different features, and many LibriVox users already seem to be using Audacity or their own system for recording. I do understand that there may be many people who want to read and may not be very tech-savvy. But there will always be a learning curve when editing audio (unless some of the suggestions earlier in this thread truly come about).

My, much less ambitious, idea:

- Client-side application, using PHP-GTK (which I'm having alot of fun with right now).

- Manual entry of a project, which then scans a particular folder and lists all files in that folder for file version tracking.

- Remotely grab Project Gutenberg text files, and/or allow cut-n-paste of text to be read, featuring a scroll mode in which it can be sped up or slowed down.

- FTP or Email of a particular file to an address. Would also allow for dynamic renaming of final audio files for delivery, based on Project information.

- All audio editing and exports would still be handled by Audacity or another application. However, Audacity (or another sound editor) could be launched from within the application to edit a particular file if needed. (This would become more powerful once Audacity actually has some command-line switches - it's in the future feature list, but doesn't at present.)

I dunno, that's just off the top of my head. And I am a web developer by trade, if you guys need any help. PHP/MySQL, ASP/MSSQL, etc.

BTW, someone mentioned building a recorder in Flash. While this might be pretty, and would allow embedding the application in a browser, there are a few issues with that:

- Can Flash access system devices, like the microphone? When did that happen? Man, have I been out of the loop.

- I would worry about CPU usage for some people who don't have the speediest of machines. At least most of the sound editors out there have had engineers trying to eek every last cycle out of the recording, mixing, and playback process, can tweak the code at a very low level, and those apps have freedom within the user's system a plug-in wouldn't. I would worry that you might get far into the project before you realized that the SWF plugin's architecture was just going to hold you back.

Just my thoughts. Forgive me if it sounds like I'm trying to talk anyone OUT of creating a LibriVox recorder - it sounds awesome. But it might take a verrrry long time. In the meantime, some kind of simple client-side proj mgmt app for readers might fill the gap.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

LibraryLady wrote: Right now, my "bookmarks" consist of pausing for about ten seconds so that when I look at the sound file in Audacity, I see a blank spot and know that is where I need to edit. Usually these correspond with sentence boundaries. I goof something up, pause ten seconds, then start the sentence over. Does that help?
I found the "tap the mic" technique to be very useful in finding my goof points. Those spikes show up pretty easily in the WAV form.
kri

Post by kri »

Mikey wrote:I found the "tap the mic" technique to be very useful in finding my goof points. Those spikes show up pretty easily in the WAV form.
Same here. The spikes are easily recognizable, and I normally listen through the recording to edit. However, when I'm lazy I'll go through searching for the spikes and long pauses, and listen through later.
tshirt

Post by tshirt »

Hello Mikey,

Welcome to LibriVox.
Mikey wrote: But there will always be a learning curve when editing
audio (unless some of the suggestions earlier in this thread truly come
about).
You see, our aim is not implementing a general purpose audio editor.
The project is mostly about making it easier to record and to access
human-read-text, or audio associated with text. We are hoping that
there will be other editors and recorders as the practice of using text
and audio togetger becomes more common. I would love to see many
audio-text editors/players available to choose from. Then of course
will come the applications that use these data for other purposes

Hopefully the features that we have been discussing will be realized as
as the project progresses. Otherwise the initial versions of ReVoxer
will be very simple, very close to what you have described.
Mikey wrote: - (This would become more powerful once Audacity actually has some command-line switches - it's in the future feature list, but doesn't at present.)
ReVoxer will probably use the code from audacity to implement its recorder. So in
some sense ReVoxer (software) is an instance of extended and customized audacity
variants that would come in the future as you predict.
Mikey wrote: I dunno, that's just off the top of my head. And I am a web developer by trade, if you guys need any help. PHP/MySQL, ASP/MSSQL, etc.
Currently we are in the design phase. I am not sure which technology will be
the best choice for now. However we will definitely need some web-programming.
Would you consider following this thread for such a task to appear? Otherwise
it would be great if you could contribute to the design of ReVoxer with you ideas
about conceptual features and requirements.
Mikey wrote: BTW, someone mentioned building a recorder in Flash.
Actually there's a real and working Flash recorder in a podcast portal.
-umut
geoc

Post by geoc »

It's just a teleprompter. You have to manually move it, but still. There's a bunch of software out there for it. Or am I just completly missing the point?
Education may be the source of my depression.
tshirt

Post by tshirt »

geoc wrote:It's just a teleprompter. You have to manually move it, but still. There's a bunch of software out there for it. Or am I just completly missing the point?
Hi geoc,

It's a lot more involved. But it is a teleprompter too.

This reminds me that I have to remove that "demo", it's misleading...
-umut
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

When you get that far, I have at least 20 GBs to donate to the project, as well as oodles and oodles of bandwidth :D
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]
PaulTiffany

Post by PaulTiffany »

Hello Umut Topkara and other contributers,

I am interested in helping out with the ReVoxer project, if it isn't dead. I'm relatively new to programming, though I have experience with an open source library called RTcmix which I think could be very useful in the project. I also have experience with object scripting in Max/MSP.

I think a project like ReVoxer could be very useful for dictation. Please let me know if I can help in any way, or if there is another project in development.

Thanks,

Paul Tiffany
University of Virginia
Part-time Virginia Center for Computer Music student
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hi paul you might want to contact tshirt/umut directly.
JamesDear

Post by JamesDear »

Is this project dead? There is no activity on sourceforge.net.