LibriVox Audiobooks as Podcasts

Non-reading activities need your help too!
sgdwn

Post by sgdwn »

So I have been ‘lurking’ around without an account for a while, and I was wondering what people thought of getting all of the audiobooks onto podcast apps? As far as I can see, there are very few available at the moment.

I don’t know which hosting provider would be able to host 15 000+ individual podcasts, however there are about 4 or 5 that are large enough. Perhaps it could act as a second backup should there ever be any issues with the copies stored at the Internet Archive.

If anyone is interested, then maybe we could set this up.

Do move this to somewhere more appropriate if this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Seth
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

We have our audiobooks on several different apps, none of which is "officially" made by LibriVox itself. People are legally free to distribute our works however they'd like, since everything is in the public domain, so if you do a search of the Apple App Store or Google Play, you'll find several LibriVox audiobook apps.
I haven't heard anything about setting it up as a podcast. It would take a lot of work, I think, and I don't know of anybody as of yet who'd be willing to take that on. I think for now we're fine distribution-wise- we have them on our catalog page, Internet Archive, and the several different independently-produced apps. I don't necessarily see a reason to add them as a podcast collection as well?

(Someone else chime in if I'm incorrect.)
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
schrm

Post by schrm »

i think, our books on youtube are a valuable back up.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Most podcast apps run from an RSS feed which can be loaded from the catalog page (eg: https://librivox.org/rss/16226).
Medieval History Volume 02 The Rise of the Saracens and the Foundation of the Western Empire 99% 1 left! "The Carlovingian Revolution, and Frankish Intervention in Italy Part 3 by G. L. Burr"
DPL DPL 27 19 43
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

I just discovered this thread -- indeed this whole "volunteering for other things" board. I've long thought Librivox contents ought to be disseminated in other ways. Spotify, for instance? Youtube is a good idea too. I'm not sure, but I expect it could be done programmatically. Meaning, i could write a computer program to download librivox files, then automatically upload them to an account on one of those sites, with appropriate text description. I think it would help the wonderful recordings here reach a wider audience.

Thoughts?

ted
Ted Perkins - Longtime Librivox listener, reading volunteer since early 2022
tjperkins

Post by tjperkins »

tjperkins wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:14 pm I just discovered this thread -- indeed this whole "volunteering for other things" board. I've long thought Librivox contents ought to be disseminated in other ways. Spotify, for instance? Youtube is a good idea too. I'm not sure, but I expect it could be done programmatically. Meaning, i could write a computer program to download librivox files, then automatically upload them to an account on one of those sites, with appropriate text description. I think it would help the wonderful recordings here reach a wider audience.

Thoughts?

ted
Ok - so I just found the librivox channel on youtube. Duh! I watch youtube all the time, and never saw it there before. Bit I don't see anything comprehensive on spotify.
Ted Perkins - Longtime Librivox listener, reading volunteer since early 2022
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

none of the apps etc called LibriVox are "official' - they are just people who decide to set them up, our only official distribution is via LibriVox.org. The files are all stored at Internet Archive so they can also be found via their searches.

Anne
nwebster

Post by nwebster »

I'd like to support bringing Tatiana's An American Tragedy recording to Apple Podcasts.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you want to, you can do it, our files are all in the public domain. But it will not be a LibriVox project.

Anne