Community Podcast: LibriVox During the Pandemic [COMPLETE!]

Non-reading activities need your help too!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast #150 - LibriVox and the Pandemic. Hosted by Maria Kasper.

Duration: 37:45

With contributions from TriciaG, Mary in Arkansas, Madelyn Pauline (hertzm), schrm, julianpratley, Greg Giordano, Amelia Chesley (plaidsicle), KevinS, and Maria Kasper (commonsparrow3)

00:00 Introduction
01:38 TriciaG with personal experiences and interesting statistics
08:32 Experiences of new member julianpratley
09:48 New member Madelyn Pauline meets LibriVox via Moby Dick
12:34 Amelia Chesley (plaidsicle) - Moving house during a pandemic
16:23 Mary in Arkansas - On PLing and her MIL's take on LibriVox
20:16 How LV keeps Maria Kasper (commonsparrow3) busy at home
22:02 Schrm reports from the German-language branch of LibriVox
25:40 Bloopers!
28:33 KevinS surprises us by getting serious (almost!)
31:16 Greg Giordano - Being an essential worker means less time for LV
36:01 Conclusion

To Subscribe to the Librivox Community Podcast, go to: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LibrivoxCommunityPodcast Or hit this itunes link to get you to the subscribe page: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=203970211

Recent past LibriVox Community Podcast files can be found at our spot on: Archive.org and archived shows for previous years can be found at: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013-2020.

Archived shownotes for the Community Podcast can be found at: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/ And the rss feed for those shownotes is: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/feed

It has been awhile since we last had a LibriVox Community Podcast. Now seems like a good time to do one, as we have a topic that has never figured in a previous podcast. Namely, what is the role LibriVox is playing during the present pandemic?

This will be a podcast specifically about LibriVox during the pandemic. Nothing about politics or economics or medical developments or world affairs. Simply a particular focus on LibriVox's place in all this.

There are plenty of possible angles for discussion here. Some possibilities --
  • Many of us are confined to our homes in lockdowns. Does this mean we are finding more time to record? Does recording give us something to do with our idle time? Does it make us feel that we're contributing something to the situation?
  • On the other hand, do we find it more difficult to record, with more family members at home all the time, and thus less private space or quiet time? How do we deal with this? Have we discovered some creative recording solutions? Have some of us switched from recording to proof-listening, or other non-recording roles at LV?
  • With schools closed, many parents are doing their best to home-school. Have you been making use of LV audiobooks as part of the curriculum? How have you used them? Tell us about creative ideas for using LV with the kids during this time.
  • Now that most of our public libraries are closed, and some (like mine) limit how many audiobooks can be checked out on a library card, are more of us listening to LV audiobooks? Has the way we listen changed? (For example, I used to listen in the car on the way to work, but now that I'm staying home, obviously that routine has changed!)
  • Does the LV community draw us regular members to hang out and chat in the forum more than usual, simply to find company here, people who seem like distant friends?
  • Maybe an admin who tracks stats could tell us if we have had more new members joining us lately? More completed projects happening? Any other notable shifts in LV stats since this situation began?
These are just some of the possible topics that have come to my mind in connection with this podcast theme. Maybe you will think of others.

To put this podcast together, I need your help! Please record your story of how LibriVox fits into your life during this pandemic. Try to keep your remarks to about 2 to 4 minutes. If you want to ramble a bit longer, and leave it to me to choose the best bits to use in the podcast, I will do that. Understand that I may not be able to use your entire recording. I will edit as seems best, for instance, if several people repeat very similar remarks, or if some remarks are off the topic, or too political, or if the podcast is running too long. I'll keep all the best bits, though! :wink:

If you are a PL'er or listener, and have something to say, but you don't want to record, you can still participate by typing your comments in this thread, indicating that you are willing for them to be used in the podcast.
  • Name your file podcast149_[readername].mp3
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: libraryanne
  • Once your file is finished uploading, please post the link here.
I will collect submissions throughout the month of May, with the goal of having the podcast ready to go by May 31st.
Since I will need a few days to edit the podcast, I'd appreciate having all submissions by May 27th.

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences!
Last edited by commonsparrow3 on May 31st, 2020, 9:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Hi Maria,

I have had some rambling thoughts about LibriVox since the pandemic began. I don't have any well coordinated thoughts yet, but will try to put a brief something together in a few days to send to you. :)
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thank you, Mary! There's no rush, as we have all month, and we don't yet have a folder to upload the recordings to, anyway. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I think Cori has been the one to lend her folder, but maybe you should wait if she checks in. :wink:

In any case, I would suggest to make the filename a bit more specific, because we've had may podcasts before (148 if I see this correctly) with hopefully many more to come.

podcast149_readername

or maybe

podcast_covid19_name or something like that.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thank you, Ava! I have changed the first post to show a more specific file name, as you suggested!
I will wait a bit to see if Cori checks this thread. I can change the upload instructions once I know what folder to specify.
hertzm

Post by hertzm »

Hello!

I have a recording ready for when the folder submission location is sorted. I'm excited to see how this all comes together :)
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

hertzm wrote: May 9th, 2020, 11:54 am Hello!

I have a recording ready for when the folder submission location is sorted. I'm excited to see how this all comes together :)
Yay, our first participant! Thank you, hertzm!

I still haven't got an MC's folder to upload submissions to. Since this type of project doesn't begin in the New Projects Launch Pad, which is monitored regularly by MC's picking up projects, it might take a little bit longer for this project to get noticed. We must just be patient! Hopefully it won't be too much longer, and then we can start collecting the recordings!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Maybe you could PM an MC or two and ask for permission to use their folder?

I'd rather not use mine, since it's so busy right now. But I'm 99% sure Cori wouldn't mind, or dii, or ... Libraryanne has a folder? She's not MC'ing. :hmm:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

I thought it wouldn't be considered appropriate to ask someone directly. But if you say it's okay to ask, I will do that!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Blame me. ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Okay, we have a folder to upload to! Libraryanne has kindly agreed to let us use hers! I've updated the first post to indicate that.

So anyone with something to contribute, you may now go ahead and send in your recordings!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

It's been a while since I've done a recording, but I think I got it uploaded. The time on it is 03:07. Here's the link.

https://librivox.org/uploads/libraryanne/podcast149_maryinarkansas.mp3
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

MaryinArkansas wrote: May 11th, 2020, 10:09 am It's been a while since I've done a recording, but I think I got it uploaded. The time on it is 03:07. Here's the link.

https://librivox.org/uploads/libraryanne/podcast149_maryinarkansas.mp3
Thank you, Mary! Your remarks get this project off to a great start. I especially liked how you brought out that LibriVox isn't new at this business of working together virtually, while far apart. We've been doing it for years already. That's an excellent insight!
hertzm

Post by hertzm »

Hi there! I've got mine uploaded. It's not too long (2:13), but I hope that it meshes well with the other contributors!

https://librivox.org/uploads/libraryanne/podcast149_hertzm.mp3
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

hertzm wrote: May 12th, 2020, 3:04 pm Hi there! I've got mine uploaded. It's not too long (2:13), but I hope that it meshes well with the other contributors!

https://librivox.org/uploads/libraryanne/podcast149_hertzm.mp3
Madelyn, thanks so much for this excellent contribution to the podcast! I love the story of how you first came to LV by way of "Moby Dick", as that is also a favorite book of mine, and Stewart Wills' recording is indeed top-notch. Like you, I was a listener for several years before I became a reader, and I also took the plunge during an off-season from work.

You also have some thoughtful remarks about how audiobooks can help to expand access to texts that might otherwise seem like dry "required reading".

I'm very happy to welcome you to our LV community! I hope you have a wonderful time recording interesting books here!