The Librivox Bookshelf

Non-reading activities need your help too!
kri

Post by kri »

PaulW wrote:Just a heads-up for the developers: since we're an audio projcet, please try to make any web pages compatable with screen reading programs for the visually impaired....I can still see well enough with a screen magnifier, but there are many people on the web who are severely visually impaired or totally blind and depend on their ears for surfing.

A 90-day evaluation version of AI Squared's Zoomtext Reader/Magnifier (including the NeoSpeech voices) can be downloaded from their web site at http://www.aisquared.com/. There are others (JAWS and Supernova, among others), but I don't know if they have evaluation versions of their readers.

Paul
This would have to be a project in itself I think; something to do over the whole catalog.
GedB

Post by GedB »

Digisage,

Any news?

Ged.
GedB

Post by GedB »

Any news?
kri

Post by kri »

GedB wrote:Any news?
I recommend sending him a PM. He isn't as active on the forums as many of us volunteers, and is quite a busy person :)
Ing

Post by Ing »

Hihi,

I'd be very interested in contributing to this project - any progress since the last posts?

Cheers,

Ing
daxm

Post by daxm »

I've never contributed to a group project; only done my own LAMP projects. I'd love to pitch in to this effort!

What can I do?
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

So with this feature, would you (say) be able to collect all the LibriVox recordings of a particular author, and download them all easily? I've always thought that'd be a neat idea, especially for poets (Wouldn't it be nice to just collect all of the Whitman poems out there, instead of having to sift through each one?) Do I understand the idea behind this correctly?
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
kri

Post by kri »

LeonMire wrote:So with this feature, would you (say) be able to collect all the LibriVox recordings of a particular author, and download them all easily? I've always thought that'd be a neat idea, especially for poets (Wouldn't it be nice to just collect all of the Whitman poems out there, instead of having to sift through each one?) Do I understand the idea behind this correctly?
No, I don't think that the bookshelf would necessarily affect downloading. It would probably link to the catalog page for the projects put into each bookshelf. This means you'd still have to go to each catalog page to download the files.
Marje

Post by Marje »

What's the latest on this project? As listener, I would LOVE to start using it!
kri

Post by kri »

Marje wrote:What's the latest on this project? As listener, I would LOVE to start using it!
Nothing as of yet. However, you can sign up for an account on the wiki and create a bookshelf there on your own.

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/LibriVoxWiki
Suengmina

Post by Suengmina »

Where is it on the wiki? I haven't been able to find it.
This too shall pass
Cori

Post by Cori »

You can make one on your own userpage in the wiki, Suengmina (or a sub-page thereof.)

PeterWhy and hugh, for example, both have lists of books recorded or read, with varying degrees of linkage. Or I've made a general one for Short Science Fiction Stories as a resource for readers looking for things to put into the Sci-fi collection here. Doing a search at PG pulls up novels AND stories, whereas this is just stuff that can be read in under an hour (hopefully.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Suengmina

Post by Suengmina »

Thank you very much.
This too shall pass
GedB

Post by GedB »

Is there still interest in the project?

It looks like an idea application for Google App Engine.

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/

Anybody?
kayray

Post by kayray »

Send DigiSage a PM. He doesn't check the forums regularly.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)