Community Podcast: Solace for the Grieving

Non-reading activities need your help too!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I would like to create something which doesn't seem possible in the regular collections of LibriVox.

I know of many who are experiencing the sadness of a loss, either of a loved one or a home, work, good health... We all pass through these things differently, but we can nearly always benefit from hearing from others as to how they have managed and who have found strength in music, writing, reading, volunteering, and much, much more.

I suspect if may be difficult for us to share these stories as they are so personal, so I thought that I, that is, we might begin by finding poems, prayers, and passages from works that have offered some hope to us. It will be nice to be able to present them without the distraction of intro and outro, though every author's work should be recognized with a simple 'written by [author's name.] The podcast itself will offer the customary disclaimers.

I'm all very new to this, so I will end here for the moment.

Those with experience, and those who hold an interest for this project, I encourage to chime in.

I might add that I think of this topic as serious, but it need not be maudlin.

And all contributors will be thanked as they wish to be recognized, even if their submission is not included in a final podcast.

What do you all think?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

It strikes me that folks may want to see a short listing of just a small portion of readings that might be appropriate, ranging from the familiar to the more hidden and unexpected.

For instance:

Christina Rossetti's "Song"
Shakespeare in King John, Act 3, Scene 4 "Grief fills the room..."
Something as simple as this passage from the Bhagavad-Gita: "Never the spirit was born; the spirit shall cease to be never;Never was time it was not; End and Beginning are dreams! Birthless and deathless and changeless remaineth the spirit for ever; Death hath not touched it at all, dead though the house of it seems!"

and more which I will provide when time allows.

Your choices will be far better than mine.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Please keep track of the e-texts and info on texts used in the final podcast. That info can go in the show notes. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: June 19th, 2019, 11:02 am Please keep track of the e-texts and info on texts used in the final podcast. That info can go in the show notes. :)
Definitely!
msfry

Post by msfry »

The guidelines for hosting a community podcast are here, which collects personal stories:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37182

You might also volunteer to BC a future Coffee Break Collection, each contribution of which is PD, and thematic. So far there is no collection on Grief.
https://librivox.org/group/474?primary_key=474&search_category=group&search_page=1&search_form=get_results
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: June 19th, 2019, 1:35 pm The guidelines for hosting a community podcast are here, which collects personal stories:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37182

You might also volunteer to BC a future Coffee Break Collection, each contribution of which is PD, and thematic. So far there is no collection on Grief.
https://librivox.org/group/474?primary_key=474&search_category=group&search_page=1&search_form=get_results
Thank you.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ruth read a collection way back https://librivox.org/poems-and-prose-for-the-departed-vol-01/ if you are interested

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: June 19th, 2019, 2:45 pm Ruth read a collection way back https://librivox.org/poems-and-prose-for-the-departed-vol-01/ if you are interested

Anne
Thank you. I'll have a listen!
Gumfber

Post by Gumfber »

I new here and really don't really know the ropes yet, But I lost my sister 22 days ago and would be happy to help with any part of this project.

Gummy
msfry

Post by msfry »

Wow, Kevin, I had completely forgotten about this project. If you are still collecting material, I'd like to read a poem I wrote many years ago, along with some background on how it came to be written.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Gumfber wrote: January 13th, 2023, 9:58 am I new here and really don't really know the ropes yet, But I lost my sister 22 days ago and would be happy to help with any part of this project.

Gummy
Gummy, I am very sorry for your loss. Our siblings are very special to us.

I will keep you informed as to what might be done with this project. It's encouraging to me to see interest expressed and I hope we can go forward and share in mourning and remembrance.

Kevin
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:17 pm Wow, Kevin, I had completely forgotten about this project. If you are still collecting material, I'd like to read a poem I wrote many years ago, along with some background on how it came to be written.
I have been a little intimidated about creating a podcast, but I hope we can go forward with something.
msfry

Post by msfry »

KevinS wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:44 pm
msfry wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:17 pm Wow, Kevin, I had completely forgotten about this project. If you are still collecting material, I'd like to read a poem I wrote many years ago, along with some background on how it came to be written.
I have been a little intimidated about creating a podcast, but I hope we can go forward with something.
Putting up the project,I think, is how you get the word out that you are accepting submissions. And when they come in, the hardest part would be to store them together until you get an hour's worth, then cobble them together in an order that makes sense, with editorial privileges, and tap someone to DPL. Whatever you write up for the summary could be the introduction that you record, and add an outro at the end. I'd be on board with helping you.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

msfry wrote: January 13th, 2023, 1:03 pm
KevinS wrote: January 13th, 2023, 12:44 pm
Putting up the project,I think, is how you get the word out that you are accepting submissions. And when they come in, the hardest part would be to store them together until you get an hour's worth, then cobble them together in an order that makes sense, with editorial privileges, and tap someone to DPL. Whatever you write up for the summary could be the introduction that you record, and add an outro at the end. I'd be on board with helping you.
Thank you. I'll think about this.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

A community podcast wouldn't use the New Project Template Generator. It's all done in a regular thread, not with a MW.

See, for example, this one: viewtopic.php?t=72211

Everything from the top to the link lists was added when the podcast was finished. The original post started with "This has been percolating in my brain for years". You can follow that thread to get an idea how it's done.

In the past, an MC has offered the use of their uploader folder. We could find an MC willing to do that, or you could use the xx-nonproject folder for the submissions (all named somewhat uniformly, so they're easy to find and delete later on).
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine