[COMPLETE] "Silent Night" - Christmas Carol Collection 2018

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

"Silent Night" Group Song

This project is now complete! The audio is included in song #18 "Silent Night," in the Multilingual Christmas Carol Collection 2018 catalog page: https://librivox.org/christmas-carol-collection-2018/

Melody by Franz Xaver Gruber; lyrics by Joseph Mohr; English translation by John Freeman Young

Let's join our voices in LibriVox's first Christmas choir! The goal is to get as many audio files as possible!
You don't have to be a professional singer to participate -- all voices welcome!

This song will be included in the LibriVox Christmas Carol Collection 2018.

Deadline: December 17, 2018, 4:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time (EST)

Instructions:
For everyone’s timing to be as similar as possible, when you are recording the song,
please wear headphones/earbuds and listen to the audio file linked below, and sing along with it.

"Silent Night" Sing-Along Audio: https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/silentnight_singalong.mp3
Silent night, holy night,
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon virgin mother and child.
Holy infant, so tender and mild,
Sleep in heavenly peace,
Sleep in heavenly peace.

Shepherds quake at the sight;
Glories stream from heaven afar,
Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
Christ the Savior is born,
Christ the Savior is born!

Son of God, love's pure light;
Radiant beams from thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace,
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth,
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth.
  • Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    silentnight_[your forum name].mp3 (all lower-case) (e.g. silentnight_twinkle88.mp3)
  • Transfer of files (completed recordings):
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.

Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Cori
    When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  • Any questions?
    Please post below.
Last edited by Twinkle88 on December 2nd, 2019, 2:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Yay! I will be one of your choir. It'll be a little while before I have a chance to record, but I'm posting now as a bookmark so I can find this thread later!
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Awesome! Thank you!! :clap:
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

If I can manage to record it, would it be ok to sing a second voice? I know it by heart :) I'll listen if it fits to the piano :)
GillH

Post by GillH »

Would love to do this! Travelling tomorrow but will get to it soon.
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

moniaqua wrote: October 14th, 2018, 2:43 pm If I can manage to record it, would it be ok to sing a second voice? I know it by heart :) I'll listen if it fits to the piano :)
Sure, that'd be fine! Thank you for your interest! :)
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

GillH wrote: October 14th, 2018, 2:53 pm Would love to do this! Travelling tomorrow but will get to it soon.
Thank you very much! So glad people are interested in doing this early -- even when it's still October! :)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

OK, here you go! My breath control is not what it used to be, but I don't think it will get any better between now and Christmas, so here we are!

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/silentnight_elizabby.mp3

File is not noise cleaned and is completely raw, as I think the volume will probably need adjusting in the final edit anyway. I can adjust if you like, but I wasn't sure what compressing would do to a song file...
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Yess!! Thank you, Beth!! First audio file in! :clap: :clap:
GillH

Post by GillH »

Twinkle88 wrote: October 14th, 2018, 3:35 pm
GillH wrote: October 14th, 2018, 2:53 pm Would love to do this! Travelling tomorrow but will get to it soon.
Thank you very much! So glad people are interested in doing this early -- even when it's still October! :)
Early? I wrote six Christmas cards yesterday! (There was a good reason... Honest!)
GillH

Post by GillH »

moniaqua wrote: October 14th, 2018, 2:43 pm If I can manage to record it, would it be ok to sing a second voice? I know it by heart :) I'll listen if it fits to the piano :)
Are you doing an alto part? I'm used to alto. Can I listen to yours to see if it's the same? Might be weird with all bar one melody line.
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Wow, great idea! 8-) Here's mine:

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/silentnight_stoogeswoman.mp3 2 min 21.944 sec / 2.22 KB

Hope this is correct -- wasn't sure if I was supposed to say anything else on the tape, my name or whatever!
Alomentis

Post by Alomentis »

There are a couple people interested in doing Alto, I would be interested in doing Tenor myself, is there sheet music we could follow to add parts?
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Hi Twinkle, This is a great idea for a group song! :) if somebody can come up with an alto part, I will try to participate.

Just one suggestion; perhaps you could interest the German-speaking LibriVoxers to sing the verses in German, which could then be alternated with the English verses for an international feeling. There may even be PD translations into some other languages, for all I know. When I was a child, my mother used to sing this carol to me in German, as her mother taught it to her, and I would love to hear it again that way.
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

stoogeswoman wrote: October 16th, 2018, 1:34 pm Wow, great idea! 8-) Here's mine:

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/silentnight_stoogeswoman.mp3 2 min 21.944 sec / 2.22 KB

Hope this is correct -- wasn't sure if I was supposed to say anything else on the tape, my name or whatever!
Yayay! Thank you!! :clap:

No, I think I'll need to say something like "sung by LibriVox volunteers" at the beginning. :hmm: Or I'll list everyone's name if I have to.