[COMPLETE] "Silent Night" - Christmas Carol Collection 2018

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'd agree; my strongest memory of that carol is from a scene in Oh, What A Lovely War, when some soldiers in the Allied trenches heard German soldiers singing Heilige nacht in their trenches.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Peter Why wrote: November 24th, 2018, 2:07 am I'd agree; my strongest memory of that carol is from a scene in Oh, What A Lovely War, when some soldiers in the Allied trenches heard German soldiers singing Heilige nacht in their trenches.
Peter
And a way to mark this centenary of the end of The First World War? It was a carol all sides knew during that series of unofficial "Christmas Truces" in 1914.

Best,

Barbara
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

When our choir sang it, we did the first verse in German, then in English. I think it would be lovely to do that here. Especially, as some have mentioned, because of the centenary of the war and in memory of the Christmas Truce. Since we have a good number of LibriVoxers here who speak German, it shouldn't be difficult to collect enough voices for that verse.
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

barbara2 wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 2:47 amMy choir begins Silent Night with a soloist singing the first verse in German and it's very affecting. Would there be a problem pasting just the first verse sung in German by some of our Librivoxers - Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht - in front of the English verses? That wouldn't be too long?

Best,

Barbara
Peter Why wrote: November 24th, 2018, 2:07 am I'd agree; my strongest memory of that carol is from a scene in Oh, What A Lovely War, when some soldiers in the Allied trenches heard German soldiers singing Heilige nacht in their trenches.
Peter
barbara2 wrote: November 24th, 2018, 2:48 amAnd a way to mark this centenary of the end of The First World War? It was a carol all sides knew during that series of unofficial "Christmas Truces" in 1914.

Best,

Barbara
commonsparrow3 wrote: November 24th, 2018, 12:29 pm When our choir sang it, we did the first verse in German, then in English. I think it would be lovely to do that here. Especially, as some have mentioned, because of the centenary of the war and in memory of the Christmas Truce. Since we have a good number of LibriVoxers here who speak German, it shouldn't be difficult to collect enough voices for that verse.
I've created another thread for the first stanza of lyrics in the German version of the song. I will add this to the beginning of the English version. Thank you for your input. :)
McScotty

Post by McScotty »

Last edited by McScotty on December 4th, 2018, 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Scott
* I am always looking for constructive input on my reading.
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Awesome! Thank you very much! :clap:
amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

Hi,

Thank you for the invite.

I have never sung before, we don't have the concept of a choir here - but in the spirit of x-mas, here goes. Please ignore it if it doesn't fit.

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/silentnight_amitsharma.mp3

warm regards,

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

"You can call me crazy, but you're just jealous that the voices don't talk to you."
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Yay! Thank you very much! :clap:
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Just a little exciting update for everyone:

I did a test today to see how the song is sounding with all the voices so far -- and it is lovely!! I tell ya, it just about brought a tear to my eye -- it's so sweet hearing so many join voices to sing this special song. :cry:
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Wonderful!

I'll work on my parts before the deadline, promised, only today I am way to tired. I'll probably record it on the weekend.
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Sounds good! Thank you! :) Hope you get rested up soon! :)
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

I imagine that it will be just wonderful once all of the voices are in and I can't wait to hear it. :clap:

Twinkle88 wrote: December 4th, 2018, 6:52 pm Just a little exciting update for everyone:

I did a test today to see how the song is sounding with all the voices so far -- and it is lovely!! I tell ya, it just about brought a tear to my eye -- it's so sweet hearing so many join voices to sing this special song. :cry:
April
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi twinkle,

thank you for your invite!
i absolutely adored the songs, which i listened to, this year and i do need "some inspiration" (or invitation), sometimes.
at the moment, i have a cold - so i cannot promise to participate...
and also, i have never sung the english version of this song..
but let's see, what i will get within the next days.

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Thank you for your interest! :) Hope you feel better soon.

The deadline is December 16th.
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

What fun! I plan to do it! :clap:
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772