LibriVox and Wikipedia Links (Discussion, History, Policy, General questions)

Non-reading activities need your help too!
msfry

Post by msfry »

dlolso21 wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:56 pm
What about using this?
https://librivox.org/search?title=Mildred&author=Finley&search_form=advanced

David O
This falls into the series/collections issue I was discussing with you and Michael via PM. We don't yet have a template that will get us to your link. The two templates we have are:
* {{librivox author |id=xxx}}
* {{librivox book | title=xxx | author=xxx}}
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

msfry wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:31 pm
dlolso21 wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:56 pm
What about using this?
https://librivox.org/search?title=Mildred&author=Finley&search_form=advanced

David O
This falls into the series/collections issue I was discussing with you and Michael via PM. We don't yet have a template that will get us to your link. The two templates we have are:
* {{librivox author |id=xxx}}
* {{librivox book | title=xxx | author=xxx}}
Michelle,

I just shortened the title to the first word, in this case.

You could also create another template. They just take a lot of thought and time to prepare so that they cover many situations and are as short as possible.
msfry

Post by msfry »

dlolso21 wrote: February 25th, 2021, 2:39 am Michelle,

I just shortened the title to the first word, in this case.

You could also create another template. They just take a lot of thought and time to prepare so that they cover many situations and are as short as possible.
Okay I shortened the title to Mildred and it points to the series. I have tried my hand at making a series/collections template that would work uniformly. So far no luck. I'll keep trying. Only one 'l' in Michele, please.
AdhiraamBose

Post by AdhiraamBose »

dlolso21 wrote: November 13th, 2019, 10:28 am The templates you mentioned are for editing Wikipedia pages by adding a link to search LibriVox for projects with the matching title. If you register with Wikipedia you can edit their pages.

LibriVox MC‘S add the links on LibriVox pages that point to Wikipedia. If you find a LibriVox page that is missing a Wikipedia link you can post in the thread and it will get added.
On Which thread should we post missing Wikipedia Links?
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

AdhiraamBose wrote: June 20th, 2021, 6:42 am
dlolso21 wrote: November 13th, 2019, 10:28 am The templates you mentioned are for editing Wikipedia pages by adding a link to search LibriVox for projects with the matching title. If you register with Wikipedia you can edit their pages.

LibriVox MC‘S add the links on LibriVox pages that point to Wikipedia. If you find a LibriVox page that is missing a Wikipedia link you can post in the thread and it will get added.
On Which thread should we post missing Wikipedia Links?
The working thread, please.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=85554
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

dlolso21 wrote: November 13th, 2019, 7:08 amDo you have a Wikipedia account ?
Hi David.
I discovered two days ago that I can now edit a Wikipedia page without logging in to my account. The "Edit" button allows a fast quick-fix to something as simple as a typographical error. ("shoot" to "chute" :D ).
Logging in credits your UserName with the edit. Otherwise your IP address gets the credit.
There is a chance that this ease of access might be abused, in which case I suppose Wikipedia will revert to requiring a log-in.

I realize that your previous response might mean that a Wikipedia login is required to effect major changes, such as establishing links and so on, but thought that others might like to know that a Wikipedia account is not always required.
Cheers
Chris
I adopt YOUR orphaned chapters, for FREE!
msfry

Post by msfry »

ChrisGreaves wrote: January 1st, 2022, 10:45 pm I realize that your previous response might mean that a Wikipedia login is required to effect major changes, such as establishing links and so on, but thought that others might like to know that a Wikipedia account is not always required.
Cheers
Chris
Establishing links to Wikipedia pages that point back to LV, YES, it is imperative that we do this work logged in, which isn't hard, in fact, loggins can remain active for 365 days before being required again.
Bennyjams

Post by Bennyjams »

Hi. This is Ben. I joined the Librovox volunteer team yesterday. I\d love to join this project. Seems like fun.I\d be happy to help. I will be happy to share any questions I have with you guys about the project in this forum. Have a great day. Stay well and grateful.
Cheers,
Ben
msfry

Post by msfry »

Bennyjams wrote: January 21st, 2022, 8:52 am Hi. This is Ben. I joined the Librovox volunteer team yesterday. I\d love to join this project. Seems like fun.I\d be happy to help. I will be happy to share any questions I have with you guys about the project in this forum. Have a great day. Stay well and grateful.
Cheers,
Ben
Welcome, Ben. To help with this important project, start out by doing this: In the header of any forum page, click on (LibriVox wiki). In the search bar type "Wikipedia Links". Read the directions. Watch the Video. When you notice a missing book or author link, add it. Report it here. That's it. Glad to have you.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Michele, your video was so helpful....and it got me fired up about helping with this! Where would be the best place to start?
msfry

Post by msfry »

MrsHand wrote: January 27th, 2023, 8:28 pm Michele, your video was so helpful....and it got me fired up about helping with this! Where would be the best place to start?
At the moment, there isn't much to do because TriciaG broke her ankle . . . . . and while she was immobilized for 6 weeks, she tackled the project and did them all! It was a miracle I never expected one person to do, and she has kept up with them so far, too. It's like everything else, once you get the hang of a thing and the steps are memorized, it becomes a lot easier.

Progress reports are all made in the Working Thread, which you can subscribe to and follow our progress. If you run across a missing link, make it! Also, if you BC a project, I hope you'll make "creating the Wikipedia Link" a part of your process, and report it in the Working Thread.

Next on my agenda is to lay out the steps and encourage the creation of book and author Wikipedia pages if they don't yet exist. Stay tuned. :D
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

msfry wrote: January 27th, 2023, 8:53 pm Next on my agenda is to lay out the steps and encourage the creation of book and author Wikipedia pages if they don't yet exist. Stay tuned. :D
I tackled this challenge for creating one author page and overcame many obstacles with success. I'll be glad to share my experience. I can summarize my experience by explaining that each person who has the authority to accept/reject a new Wikipedia page has their own criteria in spite of the general Wikipedia recommendations.
Last edited by GraceBuchanan on February 2nd, 2023, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
msfry

Post by msfry »

GraceBuchanan wrote: January 28th, 2023, 3:18 am I tackled this challenge for creating one author page and overcame many obstacles with success. I'll be glad to share my experience. I can summarize my experience by explaining that each person who has the authority to accept/reject a new Wikipedia page has their own criteria in spite of the general Wikipedia recommendations.
I'd love to hear how that went! We have a First Mondays Zoom session coming up on February 6th, 11 a.m. Would you like to explain it there?
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

msfry wrote: January 28th, 2023, 8:17 am I'd love to hear how that went! We have a First Mondays Zoom session coming up on February 6th, 11 a.m. Would you like to explain it there?
I'd LOVE to!!!!! :D However I have an essential doctor appointment at that time. :(

I could spend a few months collecting and organizing my notes and refreshing my memory to do a structured presentation...or I could enjoy the informality of a Q&A session. I'll just refresh my memory beforehand. [rakes mats of cobwebs away]

Q&A on Thursday Feb. 2, 10 a.m. ET/11 a.m. CT/12 noon MT/1 p.m. PT might be an appropriate way to celebrate Ground Hog's Day. Each time I revised and resubmitted my Wikipedia page, I waited to see whether I'd have more weeks of "winter" as my page lied buried underground. At last Punxatawny Phil celebrated the posting of the page in the actual Springtime!

Is anyone else interested and available Thurs. Feb. 2 10 a.m. ET?
Or Friday Feb. 3 at 10 a.m.?
Or Wed. Feb. 8 at 10 a.m.?
Or 10:30 a.m.?
Sometimes 1:30 or 2 ET work well for me, but that's my second choice.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
msfry

Post by msfry »

Grace, I have transferred this discussion over to the Zoom Discussion Thread