Website Update & Useability

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I wonder if it might be worthwhile posting a mini guide on forum posting in the FAQ, or somewhere.

I've just cleaned up all our stickies and noticed that we had a fair number of colloquialisms/idioms in there, which may not be familiar to non-native English speakers. LibriVox has turned out to be very international, and we want to keep things as simple as possible. I've edited little things like 'thru' to 'through' and 'you bet!' to 'yes please!'

Perhaps just a couple of sentences to be aware that posts are also read by people whose first language is not English, and to try to write clearly (I don't mean to say that we all have to stop saying things like 'you bet' - but for the 'official' stickies I changed it). Similarly, when reading messages posted by non-native speakers, to take into consideration that they may use some words not quite as one would expect, and not to get offended.

Finally, I've been asked by some people how to format posts - a reference on how to access the BBCode guide may be of use (from within 'reply post' click on BBCode under Option, bottom left of the screen under the emoticons).
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hi gesine, I,ll keep that in mind when I *shudders* go thru the site with my fine-toothed comb.

by the way, re: forum table of contents, you are genius.