Cover Illustration: The Hunting of the Snark

Non-reading activities need your help too!
GoetzKluge

Post by GoetzKluge »

As for https://librivox.org/the-hunting-of-the-snark-by-lewis-carroll-3/, I was an involuntary volunteer :).

That's fine with me. In 2012, I made that assemblage which is used as a cover illustration for that Librifox recording of Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark. Librivox used my assemblage, and for the assemblage I used two illustrations:Assembled scans from original 19th century sources:
  • Print The Beagle Laid Ashore based on a drawing (1834-04-16) by Conrad Martens, etching published in: Francis Darwin, Life and Letters of Charles Darwin , p. 160, 1888. Conrad Martens' drawing has been engraved by T. Landseer and published in the year 1838 by H. Colburn in The Narrative of the Surveying Voyages of HMS Adventure and Beagle.
  • Bellman, Banker and Beaver from illustrations by H. Holiday to Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark, 1876
A high resolution rendering of the assemblage is available here: http://snrk.de/page_snark-assemblage.

Regards from Munich!
Goetz
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's a great image. I didn't realise it was an assemblage , I just knew the parts were old enough to be PD.
I should have recognised the Beagle though. Are you happy for us to use it , and if so would you like me to add your name to the credits?

I never cease to be amazed at how quickly our designs turn up on google searches - I don't mind really except when youtube makers just distort the square to make a rectangle

Anne
GoetzKluge

Post by GoetzKluge »

annise wrote:... Are you happy for us to use it , and if so would you like me to add your name to the credits? ...
Yes, I am happy. Probably that illustration has been taken from my on-line edition of The Hunting of the Snark. I am fine with that. I think, that I even gave my consent already some time ago, but I am too lazy to search that in my emails now.

As for credits, I propose: "Assembly (2012) by Goetz Kluge from illustrations by Conrad Martens (1834) and Henry Holiday (1876)".
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK , I will do that :D. I might have to do the pdf from scratch , but it will happen

Anne
GoetzKluge

Post by GoetzKluge »

GrantWilson

Post by GrantWilson »

Being an involuntary volunteer feels first-class indeed. Just finished The Hunting of the Snark and was looking for any information about it (noticed it has 3 versions). I'm curious about the whole process of cover illustration and book recording volunteering. Sorry, I'm new here and need some help with the general idea how it all works here. Thank you.

Grant Wilson
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome!

As for book recording, you should have received a "welcome" email from LibriVox tailored to beginners. It should contain everything you need for now.

As for cover making, read the first post of this thread very carefully: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785

Both will seem a bit daunting at first, but promised: it's not so hard if you have a bit of patience and put in a bit of work in the beginning.

Have fun on here! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com