Cover Illustration: The Hunting of the Snark

Non-reading activities need your help too!
GoetzKluge

Post by GoetzKluge » November 12th, 2017, 12:28 am

As for https://librivox.org/the-hunting-of-the-snark-by-lewis-carroll-3/, I was an involuntary volunteer :).

That's fine with me. In 2012, I made that assemblage which is used as a cover illustration for that Librifox recording of Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark. Librivox used my assemblage, and for the assemblage I used two illustrations:Assembled scans from original 19th century sources:
  • Print The Beagle Laid Ashore based on a drawing (1834-04-16) by Conrad Martens, etching published in: Francis Darwin, Life and Letters of Charles Darwin , p. 160, 1888. Conrad Martens' drawing has been engraved by T. Landseer and published in the year 1838 by H. Colburn in The Narrative of the Surveying Voyages of HMS Adventure and Beagle.
  • Bellman, Banker and Beaver from illustrations by H. Holiday to Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark, 1876
A high resolution rendering of the assemblage is available here: http://snrk.de/page_snark-assemblage.

Regards from Munich!
Goetz

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » November 12th, 2017, 1:49 am

It's a great image. I didn't realise it was an assemblage , I just knew the parts were old enough to be PD.
I should have recognised the Beagle though. Are you happy for us to use it , and if so would you like me to add your name to the credits?

I never cease to be amazed at how quickly our designs turn up on google searches - I don't mind really except when youtube makers just distort the square to make a rectangle

Anne
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.

GoetzKluge

Post by GoetzKluge » November 12th, 2017, 3:08 am

annise wrote:... Are you happy for us to use it , and if so would you like me to add your name to the credits? ...
Yes, I am happy. Probably that illustration has been taken from my on-line edition of The Hunting of the Snark. I am fine with that. I think, that I even gave my consent already some time ago, but I am too lazy to search that in my emails now.

As for credits, I propose: "Assembly (2012) by Goetz Kluge from illustrations by Conrad Martens (1834) and Henry Holiday (1876)".

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » November 12th, 2017, 4:39 am

OK , I will do that :D. I might have to do the pdf from scratch , but it will happen

Anne
Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. - Hugh McGuire.

GoetzKluge

Post by GoetzKluge » November 12th, 2017, 5:37 am