community podcast! (#147) - theme: LV then and now

Non-reading activities need your help too!
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

Cori wrote:
plaidsicle wrote:another idea I had for a podcast was a set of profiles, or something, of "LV projects then and now." looking back and telling the story of a few early projects, maybe from the very very beginning, and comparing them to how projects get going now. would that be interesting? I'm not sure what projects I'd pick, but maybe others have suggestions?
Maybe pick a 'choice of voice' project, where we have several versions? An Austen maybe, those go almost back to the start ... then you can compare the same book across different periods of our process history, and also compare solo/collab/dramatic (time taken, people involved, etc.)
so...
I loved Cori's idea of picking one of the texts we have several choices of voices for, and comparing how LV volunteers have handled them at different points in time.

after poking around the catalog, I decided to narrow in on Anne of Green Gables-- it has 8 versions, spanning from way back in the early months of LibriVox in 2005, all the way up to last summer. the earlier versions have some subtle but interesting differences-- mostly in how the project threads were set up and in how the LV disclaimer/intro was organized.

I'm going to be messaging some of the volunteers who worked on any Anne of Green Gables versions, to ask if they have any memories they'd like to record and share for a podcast. not everyone will be around still, I'm sure, but a few might be.

and I also want to include everyone else of course, so... here are some questions/prompts for any willing podcast contributors:

What was your very first LV project? Tell us about it.
What is the most recent LV project you've worked on (or are working on)? What's different now?
Have you ever worked on the same text in more than one LV project? What was that like?
Is there anything that has surprised you about LibriVox since you first joined?

feel free to share anything else about your experience of learning how to LibriVox. the community podcasts don't have to have a very strict theme, after all.

I'll set the deadline for contributions on November 1, and we'll see how things go. if you have suggestions for this podcast or any others, post here, or over in the general planning thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37182
Last edited by plaidsicle on January 16th, 2018, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I've received a few contributions from those who worked on various Anne of Green Gables versions, which is exciting! it's also been neat to read through the old project threads and see how similar some things seem, and how different other things seem.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Dear Amelia:

Hope I have done this correctly. Any changes, corrections or additions you might want please let me know.
Betty

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/personalthoughts_podcast_plaidsicle_01_128kb.mp3
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

Betty-- thank you so much!
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I have finally made some progress editing together the memories people sent in for this episode! I just need to write up show notes and get it uploaded, then it can officially join the ranks of our dear intermittent community podcast. there was a lot I couldn't fit into this one, so I may save them for a future episode...
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast #147 - Then and Now. Hosted by Amelia Chesley (plaidsicle).

Duration: 33:05

00:00 Welcome & Introduction - Amelia (plaidsicle)
01:23 Looking back at how LV production has changed by exploring all 8 LV versions of Anne of Green Gables, from 2005-2016
04:26 Very short excerpts from all 8 versions (described and listed here by catalog date): 06:46 Memories and thoughts from volunteers: 32:40 Thanks and a very short goodbye

We are interested in whatever feedback – positive or constructively critical – anyone has about our podcasts. Add a comment below or pop over to this forum thread. Any member of the community who has contributed readings to the LibriVox catalog can host a podcast and is most welcome to do so. Visit this thread on the forum to express an interest and float your ideas.

To Subscribe to the Librivox Community Podcast, go to: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LibrivoxCommunityPodcast Or hit this itunes link to get you to the subscribe page: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=203970211

Recent past LibriVox Community Podcast files can be found at our spot on: Archive.org and archived shows for previous years can be found at: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013-2018.

Archived shownotes for the Community Podcast can be found at: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/ And the rss feed for those shownotes is: http://librivox.org/category/librivox-community-podcast/feed
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine