Help in the form of a Dublin accent

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

Hi! I'm looking for help on creating a convincing slight Dublin accent for a speech project. It would really help if someone with an authentic Dublin accent could read a chapter or so of the book I'm basing it on so I could try to copy the intonation. If anyone has any tips, that would be really great too.

Some notes about the character (that may or may not help):
She's around middle-class, addicted to coke and Valium, originally from Dublin but moved to New York. I would imagine her accent isn't too noticeable, but at least partially there. Some characters around her are actually still in Dublin, so a stronger accent would be necessary there.

Any advice or reading would definitely be helpful! I can link a recording of my voice attempting the accent if necessary, but I'm pretty embarrassed about it right now and would like to practice a bit more first.

Rachel's Holiday, by Marian Keyes. https://app.box.com/shared/11bvcuerl0
carteki

Post by carteki »

There is a topic listing members with various accents if that helps. I'm not sure where it is in the forum, but it is stickied to the top of the forum.
Otherwise look on youtube or movies for examples.
Kim
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think we don't have many Irish readers , though there may be more than I know , many chose not to say where they live and people move around so may not have the accent of the area they are currently living in.
We don't restrict people's choice of reading matter here, anyone is able to reader any author , so if your project is an LV one I wouldn't worry :D.

Anne