[CATALOGED] the 12th anniversary podcast

Non-reading activities need your help too!
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

This project is now complete! A link to the podcast and the show notes can be found on our blog page: https://librivox.org/2017/08/17/librivox-12th-anniversary-podcast-no-145/

our last LV anniversary podcast was 2 years ago for 10 years, I think. 12 is also a nice round number, so I don't think we should miss it. I've been wanting to try hosting a podcast for a while now anyway. so here is my chance!

we have a little less than a month to get something together. if anyone has ideas for a theme, please share! one thing I've been pondering is something like "looking back and looking forward," maybe? there are plenty of us who are newer to LV and it might be fun to think about where we were when Hugh McGuire was first getting LV started back in 2005. and to go along with that, we could also speculate about what the next 12 years will bring (for LV and for any other parts of our lives).

another idea could be to look at 1 project from each month of the last year (for 12 altogether), and give a quick excerpt. if anyone has nominations for that, it would be pretty simple to grab those and make an audio-montage.

in any case, I'll definitely include the new anniversary song that's in the works, and then whatever other celebratory reflections and thoughts that people are willing to submit!

in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, the song thread is over here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=66283

I think if I can collect everyone's contributions before July 30, that would be good timing to have a podcast released on August 5.
save your podcast contributions with this filename: 12years_podcast_[yourinitials].mp3
[edit] upload all podcast contributions to Cori's MC folder, and post here with the links generated by the uploader.

if any past podcast contributors have any tips or advice for me or this little project in general, I would love to hear them!
Last edited by plaidsicle on August 17th, 2017, 5:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

give Cori a PM and ask her re folder.

Anne
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

I should have thought of that. PM sent...
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Hurrah, Amelia! I wish you lots of fun with your first podcast! Never having worked on a podcast myself, I have no tips to give you, but I very much look forward to hearing it when it's done!
plaidsicle wrote:another idea could be to look at 1 project from each month of the last year (for 12 altogether), and give a quick excerpt. if anyone has nominations for that, it would be pretty simple to grab those and make an audio-montage.
If nominations are solicited, may I nominate --
From November 2016 - Mob Rule In New Orleans by Ida B. Wells-Barnett -
An excellent recording of a book which hit on hard truth when it was written and still packs a wallop today.
From May 2017 - The Fireside Chats of Franklin D. Roosevelt -
An opportunity to listen to the complete sequence of speeches, including the ones whose original FDR version is not available.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

nominations are definitely welcome! please, by all means send as many as you can think of, everyone.

I have heard back from Cori, and we are welcome to use her upload folder. I'll edit the first post to make that clear.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

You could call the collection Listener's Dozen; Reader's Dozen, Librivox Dozen (I mean if there is Baker's Dozen.......)

I'll be thinking of a way I can contribute (I've only been here about 6 months)......

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

Phillip-- it would be great if you record a little something to include. anything about how you found LV or what projects you've enjoyed working on would be perfect.

I've sort of let this slip from my attention, but now that July is about over I need to come back to it and make it happen. last-minute contributions are very welcome of course.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

This is late, but wonder if there's still time for a contribution to the 12th anniversary podcast? I'm thinking of a short description of 12 projects (book, short story, etc) I would like to see submitted to LibriVox. Along the lines of book suggestions, short stories, etc. I should be able to record and submit by tomorrow night.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

mhhbook wrote:This is late, but wonder if there's still time for a contribution to the 12th anniversary podcast? I'm thinking of a short description of 12 projects (book, short story, etc) I would like to see submitted to LibriVox. Along the lines of book suggestions, short stories, etc. I should be able to record and submit by tomorrow night.
that would be great! I have started working on this podcast episode, but I haven't gotten very far yet. so I would love to fit this in! let me know when you have it ready. :)
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Amelia, I don't know whether or not this will be suitable for your podcast, but I've recorded a little thank-you to LV for "being there" for my dad in a tough time lately. If it's a bit too "downbeat" for a celebratory podcast, I'll save it for a more appropriate occasion. But in case you'd like to use it, here it is -- (length 2:35).
https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/12years_podcast_mk.mp3
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

plaidsicle wrote:
mhhbook wrote:This is late, but wonder if there's still time for a contribution to the 12th anniversary podcast? I'm thinking of a short description of 12 projects (book, short story, etc) I would like to see submitted to LibriVox. Along the lines of book suggestions, short stories, etc. I should be able to record and submit by tomorrow night.
that would be great! I have started working on this podcast episode, but I haven't gotten very far yet. so I would love to fit this in! let me know when you have it ready. :)

I've just finished recording something on 12 recordings I'd like to see (hear) in LibriVox. However, I don't know how to upload for this podcast. Let me know what I need to do and I'll get it to you. The length is 04:15. Thanks for doing this!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Mary , the upload info is in the first post (as usual but not in the same format as book projects :D ) There's a file name and the folder name there.

Anne
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

I stumbled around and found the upload folder, or whatever it's called. I think I got it uploaded into Cori's folder. :? The length is 04:15.

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/12years_podcast_mh.mp3

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

mhhbook wrote:I stumbled around and found the upload folder, or whatever it's called. I think I got it uploaded into Cori's folder. :? The length is 04:15.

https://librivox.org/uploads/cori/12years_podcast_mh.mp3
thank you so much! I will start getting the podcast put together tonight and tomorrow.
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

this might be on the ambitious side, but I'm going to do my best to make this podcast episode 12 minutes long.
if I get really lucky, maybe it'll be 12:12 minutes long...
plaidsicle.blogspot.com