NOW WEB-BASED Checker for Mobile - developer wanted

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Cori

Post by Cori »

RepublicOfVermont wrote:I'm lost in Romulan territory.
:mrgreen: A further solution d) is to contact the genuinely friendly locals, on the fifteen planet orbiting ULAS J0015+01, if they can run the tool natively and let you know what they find. That way, you can carry on your exploration on the other side of Romulan territory without those worries. (Aka, if you're worried about your own file's settings, post asking the PL if they can run checker. If they can't, then maybe the BC, MC or a co-reader will be able to. If you're PLing and think something odd might be going on with a file, but can't checker it, a quick PM to the BC does the trick!) We all help each other here ... and solutions tend to benefit from Keeping It Simple, Sweetie.

If a tricorder manufacturer is able to add the tool to their handheld hardware, that's awesome, and we're totally in the right place for that discussion. And it is the original intent of Kim's thread. Like LibriVox apps, tricorders are not actually made by Starfleet, they're from a range of different companies, each with their own way/timing of doing things. Starfleet can make requests, but it's up to the companies when and how they implement anything.

And then, your solution c) is only a tiny part of what would be involved in putting it server-side. It's not only asking that you're supplied with a standalone tool, but that it is then integrated into Starfleet Command systems, tested across all Federation technologies, and released to every starship, even though other captains have said that their need for it is relatively rare. Plus, that can't all be accomplished by volunteers, so would need budget allocated, not just time & spare resources.

Absolutely we want to accommodate as many people as possible (no joke: we've had several blind captains, a deaf admiral, Wesley Crusher was an admiral in the olden days and did a great job too, and I know there are a number of volunteers who are, well, a 'captive audience/contributors' on health grounds.) As a relatively small team (and here the metaphor breaks down, because we are infinitesimally smaller than Starfleet) I strongly support helping people as their individual needs come up, and only rolling those assists out to everyone where there's a clear benefit to a majority of volunteers. Because otherwise, we're risking the success of our ongoing mission:

To explore strange old stories, to seek out old authors and old non-fiction, to boldly record what no-one has put into the public domain before.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
carteki

Post by carteki »

I guess technology is space-age stuff 'round here!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

We ARE in space-age...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
RepublicOfVermont
Location: δtsopiaV0175 (ψ-accessible only), μultiverse ΚΣΔ π^-.9

Post by RepublicOfVermont »

Maybe I'm reading something into it that's not here, but it sounds to me like there's a lot of animosity here, and I just really don't know why. :cry:
Indeed. For me it happened when good ideas esp server implementation were dismissed without any thought whatsoever seemingly because it would require a bit of effort - effort that would truly open LibriVox not only externally but internally to those of us severely crippled (euphemisms be d*mned), the numbers of which I suspect are higher than is realized. Now, perhaps my being crippled and dying from a progressive, chronics diseases all with no cure, is what you find sad. I know I do, especially when I'm dismissed as unnecessary by admin, inc. oh yes, this is a non-profit which opens up even more considerations regarding access to the disabled. Unless Admin(x) says otherwise? No, that's not how non-profits function. A bit of reading should catch anyone up regarding current access laws for disabled persons.

Last edited by RepublicOfVermont on August 22nd, 2017, 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHITE PHOSPHORUS was dropped on Palestine tonight.
RepublicOfVermont

carteki wrote:I guess technology is space-age stuff 'round here!
It became so in reference to a Prime Directive posted somewhere within this discussion. But I've not slept and cannot find it.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Can I remind both you and Kim that the major forum rule is "Be Nice" .
If you have questions about a particular part of how we operate , ask and if someone knows they will answer .
There is nothing to stop anyone volunteering to make standalone programs to help or use LV. Like the various apps around to give a different way of listening, and Checker - which was made by a reader , our contribution was to try it out and comment , and then to provide a link to.
Also like the videos which have been made over time

Checker appears to have a quite long description in it's "about" if you need to find out anything.

The prime directive is in my signature.

Things like the uploader and the database coding can not at the moment be changed - they will eventually , there are a number of things that it would be nice to improve.

And what I'd like would be a web based checker I could use without downloading anything that works on any type of browser for any time of computer , phone, pad , watch , button ....... that anyone will ever think of.

Anne not aka God
RepublicOfVermont

And then, your solution c) is only a tiny part of what would be involved in putting it server-side. It's not only asking that you're supplied with a standalone tool, but that it is then integrated into Starfleet Command systems, tested across all Federation technologies, and released to every starship, even though other captains have said that their need for it is relatively rare. Plus, that can't all be accomplished by volunteers, so would need budget allocated, not just time & spare resources.
While I can understand your hesitation here, as I said, use a separate low resource system for testing purposes open not just to me - which I never said - but to a group who would be happy to explore both the Dionysian & Apollonian, the yang & the ying, the Art & the Science, i.e. the entirety of Proof Listening. I've got very good listening skills when it comes to two things - LibriVox & numerous genres of music. I'm a former painter so I understand art is "more"; I've got a dual degree from Marlboro College in VT ('89-'94), so I know that without thought science would not exist. Philosophy is the continuos precursor to the highest levels of Science. I think all of this qualifies me as a proof listener worth having, especially since it's all I do anyway - listen to so many releases, quite a few numerous times - that I'm likely holding some sort of record.

On the tech side you seem limited in your thoughts on the subject. Budget? To pay *volunteers*? That's confusing to me, if you'd not mind explaining further. From my brain comes this - free desktop via any source from a curbside to Craigslist to friends to donations. Free OS. Free VirtualBox image to run Checker. A few moments to open it to a test group. If I could only regain use if my muscles, lose the pain, and regain the energy I had pre-disease, I'd set it up in a heartbeat from here for the testing group to try out and then give their own pros / cons on the matter instead of peaole using a growing thread (though a thread quite necessary).
RepublicOfVermont

Absolutely we want to accommodate as many people as possible (no joke: we've had several blind captains, a deaf admiral, Wesley Crusher was an admiral in the olden days and did a great job too, and I know there are a number of volunteers who are, well, a 'captive audience/contributors' on health grounds.) As a relatively small team (and here the metaphor breaks down, because we are infinitesimally smaller than Starfleet) I strongly support helping people as their individual needs come up, and only rolling those assists out to everyone where there's a clear benefit to a majority of volunteers. Because otherwise, we're risking the success of our ongoing mission:

To explore strange old stories, to seek out old authors and old non-fiction, to boldly record what no-one has put into the public domain before.
That's wonderful to "hear".
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Please, someone develop a web-based Checker and post the link here. That will take care of the request.

I'm 100% on board with that, and I would venture to say the other admins would all be supportive as well.

Problem would then be solved.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Cori

Post by Cori »

RepublicOfVermont wrote:On the tech side you seem limited in your thoughts on the subject.
Yes, I suppose that's true. Outside LibriVox, my day job for the last 10 years has been project management and business analysis in mobile app and platform development, and I was a briefly a mobile dev long before that -- so my thoughts are indeed limited by my professional knowledge. Indeed, I am still more restricted, due to my involvement in LibriVox's move to archive.org, and spec-level knowledge of the coding of the current site management systems, a few years ago. I was hoping that sharing in your metaphor would be a friendly way of explaining that, based on what I know, fully implementing your request is a Really Big Ask. I'm sad it wasn't taken in the spirit intended.

I might be misreading, but you seem to be framing this discussion as 'I must have this tool or I cannot contribute to LibriVox'. Assuming that your phone/tablet and health allow you to listen to files and share notes about possible issues ... you can contribute just fine. Your participation is then only affected by your time and day-to-day wellness. Checker is in no way essential to PLing. If you want to make checker an essential part of your PL process, that's your choice, not anyone else's here. You do not need to use checker to be a good PL. So far, no-one posting so far seems to have the skills/time for a mobile/online version, but who knows who'll come along. I appreciate that a 'wait-and-see' answer is frustrating. However, the admin team can't do anything more than Kim's already done to recruit, and we have no secret pool of technical time or expertise that we're withholding. :lol:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
RepublicOfVermont

Yes, I suppose that's true. Outside LibriVox, my day job for the last 10 years has been project management and business analysis in mobile app and platform development, and I was a briefly a mobile dev long before that -- so my thoughts are indeed limited by my professional knowledge. Indeed, I am still more restricted, due to my involvement in LibriVox's move to archive.org, and spec-level knowledge of the coding of the current site management systems, a few years ago. I was hoping that sharing in your metaphor would be a friendly way of explaining that, based on what I know, fully implementing your request is a Really Big Ask. I'm sad it wasn't taken in the spirit intended.
I simply meant opening one's mind to a test server disconnected Fromm LibriVox s main systems is a helpful way of looking at it; it seems that social platforms do indeed cause unneeded frustration for all involved. I admire your past work experience, however, it's irrelevant to implementing a test server. And yes, I find you friendly indeed. Very much so. Stella Benson's "Living Alone" is a favorite of mine, btw.

If PL'ing is free from restrictions regarding analyzing the waves via a program interface, then count me in. In must admit though that I find the standards side of PL'ing, i.e. experiening the mathematical output of files via a GUI, not only intriguing but something to give serious contemplating to at LibriVox, for future's sake and even for the sustainability of LibriVox. Past is prologue, now is future's past.

I've yet to sleep. Back to trying.
Peace
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It sounds like this thread has morphed from a mobile to a web-based Checker request, correct?

I'm changing the thread title to make it more accurate, in case any web developers with time and server space on their hands are browsing for volunteer ideas. 8-)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
RepublicOfVermont

Please, someone develop a web-based Checker and post the link here. That will take care of the request.

I'm 100% on board with that, and I would venture to say the other admins would all be supportive as well.

Problem would then be solved.

That's what's meant by server based. It otherwise couldn't exist online. So, we are, apparently, in full agreement.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Just to make this absolutely clear: What Tricia meant is YOUR server. Or at least: any server but ours.

At this point we are not able to host a web-based checker tool on our server.
Nor are we able to integrate it automatically into our uploading process.

Thank you!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
RepublicOfVermont

Availle wrote:Just to make this absolutely clear: What Tricia meant is YOUR server. Or at least: any server but ours.

At this point we are not able to host a web-based checker tool on our server.
Nor are we able to integrate it automatically into our uploading process.

Thank you!

Yes, thank-you for the clarification.