Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
ChristianeJehanne

Post by ChristianeJehanne »

Re bonjour, Basquetteur,

J’ai vu le Template, plus basique, avec deux côtés étroits, pour les tranches, à droite et à gauche du carré central.
14cm sur 11cm de haut.
Mais même celui-là est déjà compliqué pour moi... ! Je n’arrive pas à le faire sur LibreOffice...

Avec un carré de 11 cm, de 320 pixels, je dois pouvoir mettre le nom de l’illustration,en Public Domain by mon pseudo.
Les informations LibriVox demandées, en anglais.
Titre, auteur, durée, tags. au centre.

Je ne grave pas très souvent, je conserve en disque dur externe.
Je n’ai jamais fait de présentations aussi belles.

Et, oui, ces pochettes Origami sont très bien présentées, pliées, pour offrir aussi par exemple.
C’est une très jolie idée ! J’essaierai, avec le lien en français, merci beaucoup.

Pour les boîtiers, les autres Templates plus ou moins simples, sont bien au format. Mais il faut pouvoir les mettre sur LibreOffice...

Pour le site, et le pdf, je vais sans doute rester au carré tout simple, les personnes pourront l’avoir, et le mettre en boîtier plastique, avec l’illustration devant.
Si je fais un livreaudio plus long, j’essaierai avec deux carrés.Pour donner plus d’informations.

Pour les Collectifs, c’est sûrement plus compliqué, avec tous les noms, et les plages du CD.

Merci beaucoup de votre aide, c’est très aimable 🙂.

Bonne fin de journée, enfin, ici en France, c’est la fin d’après-midi...

Amicalement,
Christiane
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

RE bonjour Christiane

Je ne comprends pas ceci dans votre post:

"....les autres Templates plus ou moins simples, sont bien au format. Mais il faut pouvoir les mettre sur LibreOffice..."

Les fichiers "templates" (modèles en français), avec extension odt, vous pouvez les ouvrir directement avec libreoffice.
Une fois ouverts, il faut simplement ajouter les images et les textes, le sauver sous un nom aproprié et c'est tout.

Je ne comprends pas non plus pourquoi vous appelez les documents des "presentations". Ils ne sont pas des presentations, ils sont des "CD covers".

P.s.: je me trouve du meme coté de l'Atlantique que vous, si vous est en Europe.

Basquetteur
ChristianeJehanne

Bonsoir cher Basquetteur,

Merci, je vais essayer de nouveau, avec la démarche que vous indiquez, pour les Templates.
Je ne suis pas une "pro" de l'informatique, je vais réessayer, merci beaucoup !

"Présentations ", oh... c'est une façon de parler, oui vous avez raison !

Je suis en France.

Bonne fin de journée à vous,
et bien amicalement,

Christiane.
ChristianeJehanne

Cher Basquetteur,

me revoici, je m'accroche, et je crois avoir réussi avec solobw.doc, que j'ai pu ouvrir sur LibreOffice.
Nous verrons si cela convient.
Il est dans mon zip, Lamartine.

Merci de votre gentillesse,
bien amicalement,
Christiane
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Your cover is now showing, Ezwa sent it to me. We usually put a picture on the CD cover - with the template you used it looks something like this https://ia800103.us.archive.org/13/items/paradis_perdu_1711_librivox/paradisperdu_1711.pdf

Anne
ChristianeJehanne

Bonjour chère Anne,

Merci d’avoir mis une autre CD cover, avec mon illustration.

Oui, c’est justement un autre Template que je voulais. Avec les deux tranches étroites, à gauche et à droite du carré.
Mais il ne s’ouvre pas, sur mon ordi, avec LibreOffice.
Il est sur Word. Et bloqué sur une ouverture avec Word, obligatoirement. Inutilisable pour moi.

J’ai un ordi HP, Windows 10.

J’ai utilisé le seul modèle que je peux ouvrir, et donc modifier, sur mon LibreOffice.
Avec l’illustration au-dessus.
Le tout en format A4.

Merci beaucoup, chère Anne,
à bientôt,
bien amicalement,
Christiane.
amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

Is it okay if I put a design of, say, a bright yellow star on the CD cover (like on-sale items) with the word FREE in bold - to elicit added attention from a casual browser unsure of what to read?

The reason I'm asking is that an item in public domain may not necessarily be the same as "free" since someone distributing it may charge a nominal fee for media or recording or printing the cover and the word "Free" might not go down well.

Thanks,

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

"You can call me crazy, but you're just jealous that the voices don't talk to you."
schrm

Post by schrm »

amitsharma wrote: October 7th, 2018, 10:49 pm Is it okay if I put a design of, say, a bright yellow star on the CD cover (like on-sale items) with the word FREE in bold - to elicit added attention from a casual browser unsure of what to read?

The reason I'm asking is that an item in public domain may not necessarily be the same as "free" since someone distributing it may charge a nominal fee for media or recording or printing the cover and the word "Free" might not go down well.

Thanks,

Amit
do you know some yt-accounts, apps and so on?
what i saw youtube accounts, "resellers", people who beg for donations for themselves, (and so on) use their own cover, or change it to their liking.
and since we submit our covers to the pd, that is totally ok.
so, if you put a free! or pd! sign on your cover, it's just more likely to get changed by these people but does not "disturb" the commercial use, or the distribution of the recording.
but you should be cautious to not imitate some copyrighted sign from a supermarket chain or whatsoever.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

schrm wrote: October 8th, 2018, 1:52 am but you should be cautious to not imitate some copyrighted sign from a supermarket chain or whatsoever.
Great. I will keep that in mind. I was just going to use a common shaped design, nothing proprietary for sure.

Thanks schrm. I have no issues with whatever people choose to do with my design, I just didn't want LV to get any flak for it.

Danke für Ihre Klarstellung und herzliche Grüße,

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

"You can call me crazy, but you're just jealous that the voices don't talk to you."
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

amitsharma wrote: October 7th, 2018, 10:49 pm Is it okay if I put a design of, say, a bright yellow star on the CD cover (like on-sale items) with the word FREE in bold - to elicit added attention from a casual browser unsure of what to read?

Thanks,

Amit
First let me say I usually do put something like " A LibriVox free recording " on my covers - but just because I want to, rather than because I feel anyone who wanted to use it could probably photoshop it out anyhow and I do brand them mainly to spread the word a keep the volunteer readers coming
Public Domain is me letting go of any rights, I'm giving it to people, not telling them how they can use it. That's what LV is, a project in which we all are volunteers and contribute in the way we are able to and wish to, it's team work.
One of the good things about PD is that we don't have to worry about lawyers and proving our ownership.
So I don't think it has come up before, I'd think you ran the risk of spoiling a nice cover and probably would sooner you didn't, but there is no "rule" about it
I was going to PM you about something but here is probably a good place to say this.
According to some legal advice we have, public domain is not the same as CC0 . Creative commons is not recognised in a number of countries so please do not add their logo to the covers. Don't worry about the one you did, just stick to PD or public domain in future.
And please don't ask me why about any of this, I'm not a lawyer and not a USA resident, I just do what I'm told :D

And if anyone isn't happy about all that public domain applies, maybe LV isn't a good place to be.
And I still get annoyed with the youtube person who just stretches my covers horizontally to make them rectangular but it is legal

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: October 8th, 2018, 3:36 am
And I still get annoyed with the youtube person who just stretches my covers horizontally to make them rectangular but it is legal

Anne
:lol:
:clap:
(this sentence explains it all in an emotional way)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

annise wrote: October 8th, 2018, 3:36 am ...public domain is not the same as CC0...
Thanks Anne, I will definitely keep this in mind... not all my experiments pan out all the time... :oops:

Readers here at LV put in so much work to make the audiobooks that this was just a way for me to put in the extra effort to let them know that they are appreciated. Apparently Google was wrong about this one.
annise wrote: October 8th, 2018, 3:36 am ...I'd think you ran the risk of spoiling a nice cover and probably would sooner you didn't...
I hear you... thank you for this valuable feedback.
annise wrote: October 8th, 2018, 3:36 am And I still get annoyed with the youtube person who just stretches my covers horizontally to make them rectangular...
Maybe we should just add another page to the template and make a 16:9 HD version for YouTube for each cover so they don't destroy the artwork at least... :lol:

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

Hi,

I hope this is the right thread for this. Please let me know if its not and I'll post again in the correct thread.

I am making the cover for this book: https://librivox.org/certain-personal-matters-by-h-g-wells/

If it's possible, I'd like to use the photograph of HG Wells here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:H.G._Wells_by_Beresford.jpg

While one part of the page claims that this photo is in PD, another part wants me to "...include a United States public domain tag to indicate why this work is in the public domain in the United States..."

There was some PD issue with my first solo book a few days back so I don't want to take any chances. If an admin or knowledgeable person knows anything about this, please let me know. I would either use this photo or not, but I will not be sticking any domain tags anywhere.

Thanks.

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

OK - this is where life gets complicated
another part wants me to "...include a United States public domain tag to indicate why this work is in the public domain in the United States..."
This is a message to the person who posted the photo and claimed it was PD in the USA, not you
And it's posted because
The source is the National Portrait Gallery in London which claims copyright over all its portraits.

I think it's OK to use for covers, it certainly is PD under USA law.
Obviously, the Gallery goes to some trouble to produce high-quality reproductions of its portraits and they sell these, and would not want anyone to print off 100's and sell them. But we are not doing that - and it is possible that the person who posted it on Wikipedia photographed it with his mobile phone. It's also legal to use things to publicise the product, like the way booksellers show book covers in their ads.
So as the photo is dated 1920 I think it's safe to use,

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It says the image is from 1920, so it's okay in the US too.

however, personally I would stay away of this because of what it says in the "source" field:
one or more third parties have made copyright claims against Wikimedia Commons in relation to the work from which this is sourced or a purely mechanical reproduction thereof.
Anne: according to the letter that is linked, the person putting this on wikimedia commons downloaded it from the NG and then put it up on wc. That's different than just taking a picture... While the NG may not have a leg to stand on, legally, I think we should stay away from this because WE don't have any legs either.

Amit: see, that's what you get from asking anything at LV - two admins, two opinions! :lol:

Edit: it seems that claim goes back to 2009, and the NG hasn't followed up on it at all. Hard to judge I think. More info is also here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Portrait_Gallery_and_Wikimedia_Foundation_copyright_dispute

But then, let's not forget that gutenberg.org shut down access to IPs from Germany because a German publisher complained about "their" German books being online there...

Let's summarize: Copyright is a minefield. :roll:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com