Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Ok, makes sense. I just wasn’t sure what wording to use, etc. I did upload my zip file already, using “Cover picture from Summer on the Lakes, in 1843 (1844).” I’m willing to change that if you like.
~Rosebud
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It's perfectly fine as it is. It's just so that we can point to the PDness of the image should ever a claim to the opposite arise.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Availle wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 7:03 am No, Castellar is upper and lower case afaik. But probably best to tap the original cover maker for info. :wink:
Just to have this complete in case someone looks in this thread - I just checked for it and the Castellar I know is only uppercase. You can do smallcaps though.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you, Anne, for the fabulous you made for my "Duke of Marlborough"!

You keep outdoing yourself! It is total perfection.

I am totally delighted!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

thanks Pam
schrm

Post by schrm »

GraceBuchanan wrote: May 1st, 2020, 2:19 am
annise wrote: April 29th, 2020, 2:40 am
If you are a BC of a group project or a soloist who wish to create your own cover for your project, then you can pre-claim the cover before cataloguing is complete
So, sorry, you can't do that.

Anne
Is this in response to my preclaim request for solo Project 14933: “The Flu”: A Brief History of Influenza in U. S. America, Europe, Hawaii? My message disappeared from this forum Wed Apr 29, 2020 shortly before 5:40 am.

hi grace,

i made the same mistake some weeks ago and i read your posting, i think.
so: yes, anne's answer is the answer to your preclaim for someone else.
you have to make the cover yourself, or it will get into the claimslist and everyone is free to claim it.

reasons for that rule are in the first post: there are more cover makers than covers, we want to avoid discussions, and also mistakes which may happen, we want to give every covermaker a chance to claim a cover, and so on.

that said: both of you (plus relatives plus...) can try to claim the cover in the claimslist - after the project got catalogued.
it will appear there, somewhat between 1-4 hours after the catalogueing (sry for my english im sure this is not the spelling) was finished.
in this case, you should enter the name of your preferred artist - and she/he/* should know about it.

hope i could help,
cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I did PM Grace - I think I must have deleted instead of quoting.

Librivox is based on team work - if you want to control who reads a book, you need to do it Solo. If it's a group project you accept all readers regardless of gender, race, nationality. People need to know they are welcome in any open project even if you do not like the way they read. All covers were available to make, we could use duplicates but under the new system we could only use one, so Bart and his friend developed and hosted the claims system. The preclaim was added later so that those coordinators who wanted to make their cover for their project could.
As to someone entering someone else's name in the claims list I wouldn't know but I wouldn't approve either. Yes I often do when people are making a series cover but I feel that is different

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: May 1st, 2020, 4:05 am I did PM Grace - I think I must have deleted instead of quoting.

Librivox is based on team work - if you want to control who reads a book, you need to do it Solo. If it's a group project you accept all readers regardless of gender, race, nationality. People need to know they are welcome in any open project even if you do not like the way they read. All covers were available to make, we could use duplicates but under the new system we could only use one, so Bart and his friend developed and hosted the claims system. The preclaim was added later so that those coordinators who wanted to make their cover for their project could.
As to someone entering someone else's name in the claims list I wouldn't know but I wouldn't approve either. Yes I often do when people are making a series cover but I feel that is different

Anne
rounds up what i learned until now, thank you for explaining it, anne!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

schrm wrote: May 1st, 2020, 3:27 am you have to make the cover yourself, or it will get into the claimslist and everyone is free to claim it.

reasons for that rule are in the first post: there are more cover makers than covers
Thank you for helping me to understand what I misunderstood. When I saw that several books were published/cataloged without covers, and covers were unclaimed on the list, I thought it would be valuable and prudent to secure someone to make a cover for my solo book before my team and I finished it, so I proposed the idea to David, who had recently recorded a similar book, and made a cover for it that I really liked.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

This is such a great cover for the Flu project:
https://librivox.org/the-flu-a-brief-history-of-influenza-by-a-mouritz/

Shows not only how to properly wear a mask but also drives home the social distancing! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You know you're addicted to LV when...

...you create a cover for a project that isn't even launched yet - and that you don't know that you will ever launch.

(But the artwork I found was so wonderful, I HAD to try it!) :roll:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: May 11th, 2020, 2:15 pm You know you're addicted to LV when...

...you create a cover for a project that isn't even launched yet - and that you don't know that you will ever launch.

(But the artwork I found was so wonderful, I HAD to try it!) :roll:
well, and your feelings about the result?
you know, there is never a reason to not launch a project
(but time...)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ha ha! I've filed the text in my "possible projects" folder and may bring it out when one of my other BC projects is complete. :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You think there should be a special warning about covermaking addiction - I've been known to look at something in the launch pad and wonder what the first edition cover was like rather than if it was a book I would be interested in.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

So I tried to make a nice cover for my solo, but it just wasn't happening. Would someone else please do it?
https://librivox.org/grandpas-darlings-by-pansy/

I'd like to use this picture, if possible: https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/grandpasdarlings.zip
taken from here: https://archive.org/details/littleminnieothe00pans/page/284/mode/2up

Or I suppose any nice picture of one or two little girls of age 6 or younger.