Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 44048
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 3rd, 2019, 6:18 am

I'm not a lawyer, but I would think even an old NYT logo would be trademarked, which is different from copyright? I'm not sure, but I'd be leery of using something genuine.

Thought I'd throw that in here.
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK

johng
Posts: 3723
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » December 3rd, 2019, 6:30 am

"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

msfry
Posts: 6116
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 3rd, 2019, 7:58 am

johng wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 10:19 am
Part One is nearly done...

I'm hoping that whoever creates the cover will use a historic "New York Times" logo and a good, "timeless" pic of MT...so that ALL the Parts can have the same basic cover.

Thanks!!!
-John
Part One of what?

As discussion relates to the NYT logo, I'm not a lawyer either, but it seems to me that using a trademarked logo as part of a book cover is not anything like stealing or counterfeiting that logo or using it to brand ones own product, so long as no inference is made that the book is authored by the referenced company.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
Looking for short stories for:
Love Stories #2
Dreams Collection #1
Coffee Break Collection #26

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 44048
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » December 3rd, 2019, 8:02 am

The logo linked to looks like it could be replicated pretty easily with a PD font. *shrug*
Mystery stories: The Master of Mysteries
Kerner Report on 1967 race riots: LINK
Mussolini's speeches thru 1923: LINK

johng
Posts: 3723
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » December 3rd, 2019, 12:05 pm

msfry wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 7:58 am
johng wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 10:19 am
Part One is nearly done...

I'm hoping that whoever creates the cover will use a historic "New York Times" logo and a good, "timeless" pic of MT...so that ALL the Parts can have the same basic cover.

Thanks!!!
-John
Part One of what?

As discussion relates to the NYT logo, I'm not a lawyer either, but it seems to me that using a trademarked logo as part of a book cover is not anything like stealing or counterfeiting that logo or using it to brand ones own product, so long as no inference is made that the book is authored by the referenced company.
Mark Twain in The New York Times - Part One


is done...and waiting for a "killer"cover!!!
:-)
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

msfry
Posts: 6116
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 3rd, 2019, 12:36 pm

johng wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 12:05 pm

Mark Twain in The New York Times - Part One
is done...and waiting for a "killer"cover!!!
:-)
I have claimed it and will do my best to rise to that challenge!
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
Looking for short stories for:
Love Stories #2
Dreams Collection #1
Coffee Break Collection #26

johng
Posts: 3723
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » December 3rd, 2019, 12:52 pm

msfry wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 12:36 pm
johng wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 12:05 pm

Mark Twain in The New York Times - Part One
is done...and waiting for a "killer"cover!!!
:-)
I have claimed it and will do my best to rise to that challenge!
:-)
thanks!!
I hope it will be used by all the "parts" to come also!!
:-)
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

johng
Posts: 3723
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » December 5th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Michele (msfry) has made a great cover for Part One.
I hope we can continue to use this cover as a Template for the coming parts (something 6 or 7 more parts!!!)

Thank you SO MUCH!!
:-) :clap: :)
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

msfry
Posts: 6116
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 5th, 2019, 2:51 pm

johng wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 2:43 pm
Michele (msfry) has made a great cover for Part One.
I hope we can continue to use this cover as a Template for the coming parts (something 6 or 7 more parts!!!)

Thank you SO MUCH!!
:-) :clap: :)
Glad you like it, John. Fine by me to keep on making them, but I'll need a nudge to tell me when each part is catalogued.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
Looking for short stories for:
Love Stories #2
Dreams Collection #1
Coffee Break Collection #26

johng
Posts: 3723
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Location: Orland, Maine USA
Contact:

Post by johng » December 5th, 2019, 2:52 pm

msfry wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 2:51 pm
johng wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 2:43 pm
Michele (msfry) has made a great cover for Part One.
I hope we can continue to use this cover as a Template for the coming parts (something 6 or 7 more parts!!!)

Thank you SO MUCH!!
:-) :clap: :)
Glad you like it, John. Fine by me to keep on making them, but I'll need a nudge to tell me when each part is catalogued.
will definitely give you the heads-up as we approach the end of each part.

Thanks again!!
:-)
"Morality" is doing what's right regardless of what you're told!
"Obedience" is doing what is told, regardless of what is right!

KevinS
Posts: 5536
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 9th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Thank you, Anne, for the great and colorful cover for Our Little Brazilian Cousin!
"E agora, José?"

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 32121
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » December 9th, 2019, 11:19 pm

I just matched the rest of the series https://librivox.org/group/539?primary_key=539&search_category=group&search_page=1&search_form=get_results '
Well all but the 2nd version of 1.

Anne

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 32121
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » December 12th, 2019, 5:19 am

They will be a special prize for the person who makes a cover that can be read as the thumbnail for the latest play in the launch pad (and spells it correctly) :D :D
Heautontimorumenos; the Self-Tormentor by Terence

Anne

msfry
Posts: 6116
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 12th, 2019, 6:58 am

What's the prize? :mrgreen:
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
Looking for short stories for:
Love Stories #2
Dreams Collection #1
Coffee Break Collection #26

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 32121
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » December 17th, 2019, 6:29 pm

If anyone is interested in embarking on covers for the New Testament Youngs Literal Translation, the old testament ones https://librivox.org/group/434?primary_key=434&search_category=group&search_page=2&search_form=get_results were based on the engravings by Gustave Doré .

Anne

Post Reply