Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 31712
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » January 2nd, 2018, 1:02 pm

covers are a bit like Topsy, they just grew, so I for one just use the same rules as apply to text.

Anne

Twinkle88
Posts: 2616
Joined: January 25th, 2016, 8:38 pm
Contact:

Post by Twinkle88 » January 2nd, 2018, 2:15 pm

Oh, I see! So basically same as the rules for books. Thank you! :)

carteki
Posts: 1644
Joined: January 10th, 2015, 9:56 am

Post by carteki » January 5th, 2018, 4:54 am

Hi,
I have 2 projects in the final stages if anyone wants to claim the covers.
Jules Verne's Meridiana; and
18th Century A Cruising Voyage Around the World
Both books have a plethora of beautiful illustrations that you could use for the covers.
Cheers
Kim

jolynne
Posts: 16
Joined: March 26th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Post by jolynne » April 9th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Newbie here, and I'm puzzled. The instructions for covermakers include several types of templates. Are we supposed to make all three template types, or is one sufficient?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 31712
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » April 9th, 2018, 6:11 pm

no , just pick 1 :D . People have different ideas, different computers , different software. I don't make them , but the oragami ones are nice - you can print them and fold to make an envelope for a disk - one of our makers makes her covers up and folds them without disks and has them in a bowl so she can look at them and show visitors - good PR for LibriVox too

Covers are more easy going than recording , anything that works is OK - images must be PD in the USA though. We like having a variety of visions

Hope that covers everything otherwise just ask

Anne

jolynne
Posts: 16
Joined: March 26th, 2018, 5:56 pm

Post by jolynne » April 10th, 2018, 8:53 am

annise wrote:
April 9th, 2018, 6:11 pm
no , just pick 1 :D . People have different ideas, different computers , different software. I don't make them , but the oragami ones are nice - you can print them and fold to make an envelope for a disk - one of our makers makes her covers up and folds them without disks and has them in a bowl so she can look at them and show visitors - good PR for LibriVox too

Covers are more easy going than recording , anything that works is OK - images must be PD in the USA though. We like having a variety of visions

Hope that covers everything otherwise just ask

Anne
Many thanks for your guidance as we're getting started volunteering here. :D

Margaret
Posts: 1060
Joined: January 1st, 2007, 10:28 pm
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Post by Margaret » June 3rd, 2018, 7:42 pm

Annise!! I just saw the cover you put together for Life and Adventures of Jack Engle and I LOVE IT. You really went to some trouble to find the actual 1852 ad for the book. Thank you so much!
Once a country is habituated to liars, it takes generations to bring the truth back.
~ Gore Vidal ~

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 31712
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » June 3rd, 2018, 8:03 pm

It was fun to do. And finding the masthead for the paper helped. Glad you liked it, it's nice to hear from readers

Anne

schrm
Posts: 1614
Joined: February 10th, 2018, 11:02 am
Location: Austria

Post by schrm » August 19th, 2018, 5:57 am

well i used this thread way too less, until now.
so, apologizing, i have to ask:

mappo the merry monkey is on archive for ten days now, nobody claimed the cover, yet.
the gutenberg-source has wonderful drawings by Tooker, Harriet H.. according to this site the artist was born in 1857 and died in 1951 Newburgh, New York.

so, is everyone waiting for someone using these pics, which are not pd within eu/countries yod+70?

/reader/12275


bc gruppe: wunderwelten, sammlung prosa, trotzkopf
solo: rousseau
pl: judenstaat

sing "The First Nowell" viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75979

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 31712
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » August 19th, 2018, 2:32 pm

People do tend to pick the covers of books they are interested in , and everything gets a cover finally . I don't pretend to fully understand copyright laws and neither I feel does anyone else , book covers have a "fair use" provision so can be used to promote the book and if the artist was paid to make the cover it is probably owned by the publishers and so have the same copyright .
Taking off my admin hat, I prefer not to make covers for books I'd not have wanted my kids to read - but that's just me :D

Anne

schrm
Posts: 1614
Joined: February 10th, 2018, 11:02 am
Location: Austria

Post by schrm » August 19th, 2018, 3:17 pm

annise wrote:
August 19th, 2018, 2:32 pm
People do tend to pick the covers of books they are interested in , and everything gets a cover finally . I don't pretend to fully understand copyright laws and neither I feel does anyone else , book covers have a "fair use" provision so can be used to promote the book and if the artist was paid to make the cover it is probably owned by the publishers and so have the same copyright .
Taking off my admin hat, I prefer not to make covers for books I'd not have wanted my kids to read - but that's just me :D

Anne
yes, im doubting i understand and am able to respect every right, too..
eg, there are museums, and there is france...i learned today :roll:

i understand your comment "off the admin hat", i was feeling doubts, too.
but after i did the anti vivisection bookcover yesterday, and was reading about the brown dog trial..
great doubts arising concerning both sides, now complemented by this book..

in short: i somehow found it relieving to make this cover today.
and it was interesting for sure.

well, lets see when i find the next book, which seems to be needing a cover

/reader/12275


bc gruppe: wunderwelten, sammlung prosa, trotzkopf
solo: rousseau
pl: judenstaat

sing "The First Nowell" viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75979

klarawindei
Posts: 12
Joined: August 19th, 2018, 9:58 am
Contact:

Post by klarawindei » August 21st, 2018, 4:55 pm

Hi there,

does anyone know, who is maintaining the CD covers folder at the Internet Archive? I made some new images to put the LibriVox logo on covers. Therefore, the folder and the wiki section for covers could be updated.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 31712
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » August 21st, 2018, 5:28 pm

the CD folders are out of date mainly - your covers will be stored on the Archive project page when one of the MC's links it after you post it

Anne
I'll look at the rest later
What I mean by out of date is that because of a software upgrade, current projects don't use them , but we still need them for the pre update covers.

schrm
Posts: 1614
Joined: February 10th, 2018, 11:02 am
Location: Austria

Post by schrm » August 25th, 2018, 12:58 am

hi amit,

i saw your cover pics and that there must be a pic on the cd cover backwards. so i looked it up and i discovered the librivox logo:
a microphone, headset and a book, optically resembling an old telephone (or even some religious instruments].
Image
did you do that?
it is great!

cheers,

/reader/12275


bc gruppe: wunderwelten, sammlung prosa, trotzkopf
solo: rousseau
pl: judenstaat

sing "The First Nowell" viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75979

amitsharma
Posts: 118
Joined: August 19th, 2018, 6:54 am
Location: Bhopal, India

Post by amitsharma » August 25th, 2018, 3:05 am

schrm wrote:
August 25th, 2018, 12:58 am

hi amit,

i saw your cover pics and that there must be a pic on the cd cover backwards. so i looked it up and i discovered the librivox logo:
a microphone, headset and a book, optically resembling an old telephone (or even some religious instruments].
Image
did you do that?
it is great!

cheers,
Thank you schrm.

I was looking for a monochrome logo type design for LV online, but couldn't find one. So I just made this out. Being a monochrome vector, you can reverse it, shade it, do vector effects, or rasterize it... whatever to match the rest of the design.

I'm glad you liked it. It's made by me from scratch and is released into the public domain.

I was going for a man-made enlightening symbol from a bygone era but your interpretations are good too. Both old telephone and religious instrument can fit the same levels of acquired wisdom. :D

ciao,

Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

"You can call me crazy, but you're just jealous that the voices don't talk to you."

Post Reply