Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

So this is what you have right now according to the link above:
This recording is in the public domain and may be reproduced, distributed, or modified without permis-
sion. For more information or to volunteer, visit librivox.org | Cover image by Roy N from Pixabay. | Copy-
right expired in the U.S. because this work was published in the U.S. before 1964, and copyright was not
renewed. Copyright may still apply in other countries. | This design by carthinius is in the public domain.
What copyright are you talking about now?

You go from talking about the recording to the cover image to a copyright statement to the cover design?

The way I read this is that

a) The recording is PD (everywhere)
b) the second copyright statement is for the image - and it is wrong because the copyright of the image is clearly not expired because of pre-1964 publication and non-renewal; no: the image designer has placed it in the public domain from the very beginning and for every country, so the next sentence is moot too
c) the entire design of the cover is public domain (everywhere)

I find that confusing and I already kinda sorta know what you mean.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
carthinius

Post by carthinius »

That's on top of it all. I initially just wanted to clarify the part with the expired copyright only in the U.S. But maybe we need to clarify the statement at all.

the original text from the templates I downloaded a while ago is as follows:
"This recording is in the public domain and may be reproduced, distributed, or modified without permission. For more information or to volunteer, visit librivox.org.
Cover picture by Artist (date). Copyright expired in U.S., Canada, EU. and all countries with author’s life +70 yrs laws. Cover design by {your name}. This design is in the public domain."

So I think, first of all we should adress the expired copyright of the work in question (and why it isn't copyrighted anymore, because there are different legal ways to drop out of copyright in the U.S.).
Then we should adress that the LibriVox recording of this PD work, is PD, too.
Finally, we should adress the design and its release in the PD, too.

(And yes, technically I am, as a german, not in the position to give up my copyright, so I would have to use the CC0 licence which I can't because LibriVox only works on a PD base. I try to ignore that part.)

My recommendation for the vanilla version would be:
"Copyright for the author's work expired in U.S., Canada, EU, and all countries with author’s life +70 yrs laws. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain and may be reproduced, distributed, or modified without permission. This cover design by {your name} using a picture by Artist (date) is in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, visit librivox.org."
"it's worse than you know!" - "it usually is." | Find a growing collection of my covers in higher resolution at flickr
schrm

Post by schrm »

carthinius wrote: August 9th, 2021, 6:36 am

the original text from the templates I downloaded a while ago is as follows:
"This recording is in the public domain and may be reproduced, distributed, or modified without permission. For more information or to volunteer, visit librivox.org.
Cover picture by Artist (date). Copyright expired in U.S., Canada, EU. and all countries with author’s life +70 yrs laws. Cover design by {your name}. This design is in the public domain."
after having a thought about it:
to my understanding the construct of the public domain is "usa only".
and since all our recordings have to apply this, because of the servers being in the usa, it is a correct disclaimer.
regardless if this is year of death + 70 or something else.

and the cover pictures are public domain at the minimum, too.
and in case a covermaker is living outside the us, the yod+70 has to be void too.

this disclaimer is (maybe) not true in the single case of "american covermaker makes a ("pd only!") cover for a pd book ("pd only!")"
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

has anyone claimed already
Love & Its Historical Shades: Poetic Expressions of Love Based on Varying Time Periods
https://librivox.org/love-its-historical-shades-by-various/
?

i cannot claim it in the claims list
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No. Go for it. (If you can't enter a claim, neither can anyone else.) ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: August 13th, 2021, 1:25 pm No. Go for it. (If you can't enter a claim, neither can anyone else.) ;)
thank you!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I have a theory about the covers that aren't able to have a claim "stick".

I think they all have an ampersand (&) in the title.

Pierre & Jean
Multilingual Short Works Collection 029 - Poetry & Prose
Love & Its Historical Shades: Poetic Expressions of Love Based on Varying Time Periods

Ampersands can't return search results if someone searches for "and" (no results when one searches for "pierre and jean"), so it should probably never be used in the title, anyway. :hmm:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I like it - I have noticed & and other things turning up in titles more often

Anne
And none of the projects with & in the admin only covers done list have a maker :clap: :clap: :clap:
I wonder if it is not only the claims list that has this problem :hmm:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Re the last & cover mixup - I hope

I had noticed Schrm's post and Tricia's answer and rushed off to see if it worked - so he certainly had the first claim . Then last night I noticed it had not been picked up and had a bit of time so I made one, and was just doing the pdf when Michele posted (neither of us had noticed it had been already allocated. So I finished my version
I am quite happy to use Schrm's cover - he did have the first claim, and I should have remembered Tricia's answer to him. Ava is right it is a nice cover, and it could be used for another project. But it is a bit like Solomon - we can't use half of each. Mine was just a quick fix to stop there being a mixup.

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

actually i am not sure i understand this correctly but it is ok for me keep your cover up and i will adapt mine in case i claim a suiting book in future
cheers

PS regarding our procedure with the claimslist entries which are not clainable - i suggest finding another solution like erasing the line of the claims list when someone has claimed it
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We can't actually alter the claims program because it isn't on our server but now we know what was causing it we will be able to deal with it, hopefully before it hits the claims list. If it does sneak out , it will be fixed.
The ampersand & affects the catalogue search also as if you call something "Tom & Jerry" it will not show in a search for "Tom and Jerry

off topic - what is & called in German?

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

annise wrote: August 16th, 2021, 2:12 am off topic - what is & called in German?
according to my favourite online dictionary: https://dict.leo.org/german-english/ampersand

- Et-Zeichen (et-sign, probably a bit outdated because that's what we call the @ these days)
- Und-Zeichen (and-sign)
- Kaufmanns-Und, kommerzielles UND-Zeichen, kaufmaennisches Und (essentially commercial/mercantile and)

We're not very creative with this one. :lol:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I was curious because I read once that in English it was a part of the alphabet and was said in latin something like "am per se and " which turned into ampersand - maybe it was a printers alphabet, maybe my Latin is non existent, maybe I dreamt it. Maybe I will google it

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

I m sure i was reading the same
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

:clap: Thank you Availle for the cover of Die Lieder der Bilitis. :9:
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 3 Rollen unbesetzt
I will be on vacation from March 28 to April 1.