Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
msfry

Post by msfry »

It appears that there is some confusion around how the Claims Board works. What I said is true for my experience since I made my first cover in 2014. I have never seen my preclaims on the board no matter how many days it takes for me to upload my covers.

Perhaps Bart can clarify this, and post notice in the First Post where everyone can read up on the rules.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not sure that we are not all talking about different things when we talk about "projects without a cover"
The Claims list shows "Catalogued projects with no cover"
How it decides if there is no cover is to look at the database, find the completed projects, ignoring the in progress on hold or abandoned.
Then it checks if there is a link added for a cover (this points to the cover images and enables them to be shown on the LV catalogue page, then it checks Bart's servers list of preclaims and adds the covermaker or leaves it empty and updates the shown list LibrivoxCoverClaim. This is done on Bart's little home server so it is updated about every 4 hours and does not have unlimited back up and I suppose if Bart forgot to pay his power bills (or his windmill stopped turning :D ) would probably drop out :D

Everything else we can report on is based on the database record. And there is nothing on the database at present about covermakers and only after the cover is added is there anything about the cover.
And that is the situation at the moment and we all have to work as well as we can within it at present

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

just to leave an ending comment...
my lacking english skills were evident in our discussions, and i for sure didnt want to offend someone - or talk into silence.

also, i honestly dont want to reject asking for help - that would be the contrary of librivox spirit, too.

so, lacking the language skills to write any further (and knowing, it would be difficult in german, too)...
i want to ensure foon, that i am eager to use a photo of bobby - and whoever makes this cover, i am sure, it will be beautiful!
wether or not this is true for this, a link to a possible cover by me:
https://ia802908.us.archive.org/4/items/covers-schrm/bobby.png

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Foon

Post by Foon »

schrm wrote: February 25th, 2019, 2:32 am i want to ensure foon, that i am eager to use a photo of bobby - and whoever makes this cover, i am sure, it will be beautiful!
wether or not this is true for this, a link to a possible cover by me:
https://ia802908.us.archive.org/4/items/covers-schrm/bobby.png
Aahhhhhh so cute!!! :9:

Don't worry, I don't feel rejected--if anything, I am overjoyed by so many positive responses of people wanting to take up the idea!
But I fully understand that there are rules and procedures in place, and that a line needs to be drawn somewhere. As you say exactly: whoever makes this cover, I'm sure it'll be beautiful, and I'll be grateful for it no matter what the cover maker decides to do with it. :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Foon

Post by Foon »

For those of you who were interested in making a cover for Bobby Gray Squirrel's Adventures, but didn't have time to watch things like a hawk--it's just been catalogued so should be appearing on the claims list when it refreshes. :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
schrm

Post by schrm »

It is not in the lists until now and my Break ist over - thrilling 😂
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Michele - here's a similar dog picture that's PD: https://www.artic.edu/artworks/120081/landscape-with-dog?q=dog

If it helps. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Foon wrote: March 1st, 2019, 10:44 am For those of you who were interested in making a cover for Bobby Gray Squirrel's Adventures, but didn't have time to watch things like a hawk--it's just been catalogued so should be appearing on the claims list when it refreshes. :)
It's there now, and Moniaqua is the winner! (Fitting, since she made the pretty squirrel picture from your friend's photo.)
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: March 1st, 2019, 5:46 pm
Foon wrote: March 1st, 2019, 10:44 am For those of you who were interested in making a cover for Bobby Gray Squirrel's Adventures, but didn't have time to watch things like a hawk--it's just been catalogued so should be appearing on the claims list when it refreshes. :)
It's there now, and Moniaqua is the winner! (Fitting, since she made the pretty squirrel picture from your friend's photo.)
:D
congrats monika!
:clap: :9:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

TriciaG wrote: March 1st, 2019, 5:46 pm It's there now, and Moniaqua is the winner!
Lucky me! :9:
Thank you all :)
I am a bit sad about the work that was kind of lost for the pretty cover schrm had made. On the other hand of course I am happy that my work will be used :)
<goneworkinghardonthecovernowagain>
schrm

Post by schrm »

moniaqua wrote: March 2nd, 2019, 3:11 am
TriciaG wrote: March 1st, 2019, 5:46 pm It's there now, and Moniaqua is the winner!
Lucky me! :9:
Thank you all :)
I am a bit sad about the work that was kind of lost for the pretty cover schrm had made. On the other hand of course I am happy that my work will be used :)
<goneworkinghardonthecovernowagain>
maybe i will use it for another coer..
who knows :-)
with covers im just easy, as i dont see them as "work", but just do them for fun and even while doing housework..
im interested into the beauty of the result and some advertising effect for the books, another way to say it..

...and im sure your cover will be perfect!

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
classicsforever

Post by classicsforever »

Unsure if anyone's keeping track, but I promise to get Clemencia done by the end of this weekend (Pacific time)!! I have the picture picked out and everything, it's just that life got really crazy this week...
Margaret
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The colour bar in the claims list still has a few shaded of red to go :D

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Did you know that the non-admin list doesn't have a date box that changes shades as it ages? They've got a lot of other colors, though. 8-)
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

schrm wrote: March 2nd, 2019, 7:32 am maybe i will use it for another coer..
who knows :-)
:hmm: A chipmunk is not quite the same but close enough, I think. And the cover is still unclaimed ;)
schrm wrote: March 2nd, 2019, 7:32 am ...and im sure your cover will be perfect!
Not quite - in my joy I indeed forgot the MC etc :oops: Now I've added them to my template to ensure I mention them on the next covers.
classicsforever wrote: March 2nd, 2019, 2:01 pm Unsure if anyone's keeping track,
I don't and claims list looks plain green to me ;)