Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
schrm

Post by schrm »

Availle wrote: September 9th, 2020, 4:52 am
schrm wrote: September 8th, 2020, 11:48 pm i had a similar problem with the book of love.
Yes, I saw that cover and I went "huh :?: "
Because, if you edit the image so much to make it practically unrecognisable, what was the point in using that particular image to begin with? I don't get it. Just use another one you're more comfortable with. Or make the cover text-only.

Or return it to the pool, it's not a big deal. As it says elsewhere "We're all volunteers and things happen."
There's no need to torture yourself here. (That's my job. :twisted: )
oh no! it was no torture at all..
it is more like my style to edit the pics heavily, in case i use one.
but it is true, in this particular case, i tried to get to a cover with the face - but that was not possible.

the more work and trial, the more i try to get a result i really like.
and it is like i worte: i totally like this cover :-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just to make things clear - I wasn't planning to ban the image and if John wants to do it and Michelle wants to make the cover with it I'm fine with that but I think whichever way you look at the whole business it does not put MT in a good light.
And that's a pity, I'd sooner remember him for his writing than for any of the reasons I can think of for this.

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: September 9th, 2020, 5:51 am Just to make things clear - I wasn't planning to ban the image and if John wants to do it and Michelle wants to make the cover with it I'm fine with that but I think whichever way you look at the whole business it does not put MT in a good light.
And that's a pity, I'd sooner remember him for his writing than for any of the reasons I can think of for this.

Anne
I haven't read the book, but it could be more that young girls are very cute and delightful, the way puppies are cute and cuddly. Not everything old men do has to be sordid.

I don't know if you are referring to someone else named Michelle, because my name has only one 'l' --- Michele. But I suppose that's me, and I wouldn't mind claiming the cover but I don't see any of those images you all are talking about. As said above, the book on IA isn't showing any pictures. I do see a bunch when I do an image search of "mark twain and young girls." All black and white, rather dull. So without further guidance I'd better leave this one alone.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Who does the Children's Short Works covers? (There's no name on the cover, so I have to ask.)

Volume 38's PDF has the artwork to vol 20 on it.
https://librivox.org/childrens-short-works-vol-038-by-various/

Also, volume 40 is cataloged but not showing on the claims list. That's what led me down this whole road. LOL!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Bart still does it and adds them himself - I've filled in the claims list , do you want to tell him about the pdf ?

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I see no one has claimed Life is a Dream yet.

I wonder, if the Spanish cover art is appropriate, if we want to ask the person who made that cover if they could convert the art to the English project. :hmm: It was made by carthinius.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

annise wrote: September 17th, 2020, 3:14 pm Bart still does it and adds them himself - I've filled in the claims list , do you want to tell him about the pdf ?

Anne
I didn't see this until now. I'll PM him. :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I did think about it but real life exploded- things have settled down again so I'll claim it .

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And of course the minute I say that, 2 soloists that I've been doing a series cover appear on the list - but I'll handle them quickly I hope.

Anne
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Do you need help? I didn't claim anything because my time is limited and there seemed to be enough to help on covers, but I could claim one or two this weekend.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It has slowed down a bit , but there are 4 in the preclaim list available if you wanted to do 1 or 2.

Anne
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

TriciaG wrote: September 17th, 2020, 2:40 pm
Volume 38's PDF has the artwork to vol 20 on it.
https://librivox.org/childrens-short-works-vol-038-by-various/
Fixed
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

annise wrote: September 19th, 2020, 3:53 am It has slowed down a bit , but there are 4 in the preclaim list available if you wanted to do 1 or 2.
Ok, thank you, so I claimed two nice ones :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

moniaqua wrote: September 19th, 2020, 1:40 am Do you need help? I didn't claim anything because my time is limited and there seemed to be enough to help on covers, but I could claim one or two this weekend.
Please, if you want to do covers, claim some. I often end up doing ones that have been sitting there a day or two, just to give those lonely projects a cover. (Some I claim quickly because they've got a great frontispiece or original cover, so I'm not always the martyr.) ;)
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: September 19th, 2020, 9:22 am
Please, if you want to do covers, claim some. I often end up doing ones that have been sitting there a day or two, just to give those lonely projects a cover. (Some I claim quickly because they've got a great frontispiece or original cover, so I'm not always the martyr.) ;)
uuh, that is why there are less books to claim which are left over more than a day.
i had the two days rule for some months now, with exceptions.
i find it engouraging and most times, the covers more interesting to make when there are "problems".
and so i can be creative or scribble some drawings myself or..
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275