Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Salvationist wrote: April 29th, 2021, 6:23 pm Here's the cover for "Lorelei of the Red Mist" by Leigh Brackett and Ray Bradbury:

https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/Salvationist.zip

I noticed that Bradbury isn't linked as one of the two authors, even though the summary indicates that Brackett and Bradbury each wrote parts of the the story. The other LibriVox recording of this story credits both authors, so I think this one should as well.

Also, I noticed a couple of typos in the first sentence of the summary. The sentence currently reads "Written Published in Planet Stories in 1946, this The story itself is a great mix of Golden Age Sci Fi and Swords & Sorcery." I recommend removing the words "Written", "The", and "itself" to make the following: "Published in Planet Stories in 1946, this story is a great mix of Golden Age Sci Fi and Swords & Sorcery."
Thought I posted this but apparently it never went through. l Just want to thank the artist Salvationist for the cover art on this: it is great! Everything links to the story and visually it looks snappy and has a lot of POW. ! I also fixed the other things you mentioned, thanks for mentioning them.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

philchenevert wrote: May 1st, 2021, 7:41 pm Thought I posted this but apparently it never went through. l Just want to thank the artist Salvationist for the cover art on this: it is great! Everything links to the story and visually it looks snappy and has a lot of POW. ! I also fixed the other things you mentioned, thanks for mentioning them.
Thank you for the encouragement, Phil! I’m really glad you like the cover. :D
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Not sure where to post this, and I’m not sure if it will be useful to the cover makers, but I was just looking at recent uploads to the pulp magazine section of Internet Archive and this Girls Own issue has about 12 pages of color art in the front section, and some of the pieces looked like they might be useful for cover art if not too low quality...

https://archive.org/details/the-girls-own-paper-and-womans-magazine-v-34n-03-1913-12-ibc-bc/mode/2up

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

I'd like to thank Sanved23 for the cover for Short Ghost and Horror Collection 51. It's really simple but really eerie!
Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Thanks carthinius, for the cover of Lebensgeschichte der Erde. :thumbs:
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 3 Rollen unbesetzt
I will be on vacation from March 28 to April 1.
carthinius

Post by carthinius »

lorda wrote: May 16th, 2021, 5:01 pm Thanks carthinius, for the cover of Lebensgeschichte der Erde. :thumbs:
Gern geschehen! :D When I checked the wikipedia page for Pastor and read about his connection with Fidus, I thought it would be a good idea to use one of his artworks!
"it's worse than you know!" - "it usually is." | Find a growing collection of my covers in higher resolution at flickr
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Availle - I really like the frame treatment you did for the locomotive engineer project. That's a great way of using a landscape picture and yet tying the title in with the image. I'll have to remember that!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Why, thank you! :oops:
I have to admit I"m pretty proud of that one, because I was so happy to have found that picture! :9:

Little hint: When you do something similar, with a white line on a dark background, it has to be a few pixels thinner than the dark line on the white background is. Reason is that white "pops" more than a dark color and will appear thicker, even though it truly isn't.

I made this very mistake in this cover myself:
https://librivox.org/papeis-avulsos-by-machado-de-assis/
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Mmm - I hadn't thought that out. I had noticed that when I tried to use a black line and a white one as a frame but just thought I had made a mistake with the number of pixels - you learn something new every day at LV

Anne
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Many thanks to whoever designed the striking cover for "The Trial Of A New Society." I'm new enough to LV so I'm not sure how to tell who that is, but I appreciate it.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You're welcome!

To find out who the cover maker is, click the link "Download CD case insert". The name is mentioned on the back cover, and often, what the images are is mentioned also.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Thank you doubly, then--for the cover and the information!
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Thank you schrm for the cover of Kurze Erzählungen. :thumbs:
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 3 Rollen unbesetzt
I will be on vacation from March 28 to April 1.
schrm

Post by schrm »

lorda wrote: May 28th, 2021, 4:29 pm Thank you schrm for the cover of Kurze Erzählungen. :thumbs:
you are very welcome bernd!

:D

loved the little mahlen nach zahlen work without numbers
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

To whomever makes the cover for Psychological Warfare: please use the author name Paul M. A. Linebarger. "Cordwainer Smith" as is shown on the catalog page, is his pseudonym for science fiction works, whereas this is nonfiction.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine