Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
schrm

Post by schrm »

herzlich gerne bernd!
you are very welcome!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
carthinius

Post by carthinius »

Just realised today: Once again one of my claims (this time for The Political History of France, 1789-1910) was overwritten. It wasn't claimed before reloading, and I refreshed after claiming to see it was claimed by me. Really don't know what to do on this matter.
"it's worse than you know!" - "it usually is." | Find a growing collection of my covers in higher resolution at flickr
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

carthinius - do you recall what day you claimed it?

Michele - did you refresh the cover claims thread before entering your claim?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: July 29th, 2021, 5:35 am carthinius - do you recall what day you claimed it?

Michele - did you refresh the cover claims thread before entering your claim?
I visited the board afresh, saw it unclaimed, claimed it on 7/27, closed the board, opened it again to make sure my name was still there.
carthinius

Post by carthinius »

TriciaG wrote: July 29th, 2021, 5:35 am carthinius - do you recall what day you claimed it?
Pretty sure it was on 7/27, too, and I did exactly the way Michele described it. Although I am not sure whether I just reloaded the page to check if my claim was made or I closed the tab and reopened it.

Just to be clear: I am totally okay with Michele doing the cover! I was just wondering how it happened again.
"it's worse than you know!" - "it usually is." | Find a growing collection of my covers in higher resolution at flickr
schrm

Post by schrm »

carthinius wrote: August 1st, 2021, 3:39 pm The files for Brennende Erde by Erich Mühsam can be found here:
https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/brennendeerde_2108.zip
this is lit!
tolles cover carthinius, wirklich gut!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
carthinius

Post by carthinius »

schrm wrote: August 2nd, 2021, 1:14 pm this is lit!
tolles cover carthinius, wirklich gut!
Literally :D
Dankeschön! Ich dachte mir, wenn schon anarchistische Lyrik, dann richtig :lol:
carthinius

Post by carthinius »

Today I claimed Double Challenge by Jim Kjelgaard and realized the author died in 1959, which means his work is still copyrighted in Europe. So I was wondering: Do we need a disclaimer for this kind of works? Is there already one I haven't found yet? Am I "allowed" to do a cover for a public domain recording if the work itself isn't in the public domain in my country? I am confused.
schrm

Post by schrm »

carthinius wrote: August 7th, 2021, 11:50 am Today I claimed Double Challenge by Jim Kjelgaard and realized the author died in 1959, which means his work is still copyrighted in Europe. So I was wondering: Do we need a disclaimer for this kind of works? Is there already one I haven't found yet? Am I "allowed" to do a cover for a public domain recording if the work itself isn't in the public domain in my country? I am confused.
i try to answer as short as possible:
yes, you may do a cover
no you cannot use the original cover, bookpages, or whatsoever.

your own work: greatly welcome, as always and as astonishing, as your covers are!

ps:
you must not listen to the recordings, maybe, but:
viewtopic.php?p=1532273#p1532273
What can you do?
- you have probably already collected a little treasure of images for future use. Go through them and make sure they comply with these rules. When adding new images, make sure these are no doubt okay.
- the sources you use, do they clearly state the license for use, and is it public domain? Probably they are, or you wouldn't have been using them, but it is good to double-check.
- look for pre-1926 illustrations. You can avoid all risk by using those 
(and respect the urheberrechte within eu and germany?!)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
carthinius

Post by carthinius »

schrm wrote: August 7th, 2021, 12:42 pm i try to answer as short as possible:
yes, you may do a cover
no you cannot use the original cover, bookpages, or whatsoever.
Thanks, that's what I thought, but good to hear/read it from another person who has to deal with the same questions!
schrm wrote: August 7th, 2021, 12:42 pm your own work: greatly welcome, as always and as astonishing, as your covers are!
Too kind of you, thank you so much! :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It is difficult sometimes - most countries do have a law about using covers to discuss books - like reviews etc. and some artwork remains the intellectual property of the artist not the publisher so it is very much a minefield for Americans let alone us non-Americans on an American site.

Anne
carthinius

Post by carthinius »

Yes, it is tricky. Especially when I am not sure our usual handling is appropriate in these cases. For example, our templates state by default that the "Copyright expired in U.S., Canada, EU, and all countries with author’s life +70 yrs laws." That's not true if we have to deal with works like this one. So do we need another solution? Do i just change it to "Please note: Copyright expired in the U.S. because this work was published in the U.S. before 1964, and copyright was not renewed. Copyright may still apply in other countries."?
Considering the copyright-box at the wiki-source page of Kjelgaard there are several ways the copyright may expire in the U.S., so my suggestion may just fit this special case. Wow. My mind is blown.
schrm

Post by schrm »

carthinius wrote: August 8th, 2021, 4:16 am Yes, it is tricky. Especially when I am not sure our usual handling is appropriate in these cases. For example, our templates state by default that the "Copyright expired in U.S., Canada, EU, and all countries with author’s life +70 yrs laws." That's not true if we have to deal with works like this one. So do we need another solution? Do i just change it to "Please note: Copyright expired in the U.S. because this work was published in the U.S. before 1964, and copyright was not renewed. Copyright may still apply in other countries."?
Considering the copyright-box at the wiki-source page of Kjelgaard there are several ways the copyright may expire in the U.S., so my suggestion may just fit this special case. Wow. My mind is blown.
i second this question - i haven't changed this until now.
but this is void, yes.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
carthinius

Post by carthinius »

I did a version with my text suggestion, what do you think?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14zLbCu5a08V4KBhF-tyrYgLugbUUnwBA/view?usp=sharing
Still wondering if we need to discuss this at another place than the covermakers thread.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I will have a look - but not just now. I haven't changed the first post except to add the link to Carolin's PD advice but to change the PD statement most people use would mean agreeing on one - and then changing all the templates - which I do not have the software to do. And at the moment I m only just managing LV and real life. (If we are being totally truthful I understood that under German Law it was impossible for anyone to give up their rights )

Anne-