Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

I just came across this cover:

https://librivox.org/blessed-edmund-campion-by-louise-imogen-guiney/

That's a really good one! :thumbs:
schrm

Post by schrm »

moniaqua wrote: June 21st, 2019, 6:19 am I just came across this cover:

https://librivox.org/blessed-edmund-campion-by-louise-imogen-guiney/

That's a really good one! :thumbs:
thank you monika!
:D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes it was fun and different I thought :clap:

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

The golden maiden thanks you both for those kudos. :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I was looking at this page at Archive of our "recent releases" and was impressed with the great variety of covers recently, we are all becoming more adventurous :clap: :clap: :clap: everyone

https://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio?sort=-date
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: June 30th, 2019, 5:10 am I was looking at this page at Archive of our "recent releases" and was impressed with the great variety of covers recently, we are all becoming more adventurous :clap: :clap: :clap: everyone

https://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio?sort=-date
exactly that i thought yesterday..
just in other words..
and i thought: i cannot judge that since i'm librivoxing for just a year..
so: gratulations to all around!
even new members recognize that!
:9:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
classicsforever

Post by classicsforever »

annise wrote: July 11th, 2019, 9:41 pm Caught - and linked. Thank you.
Your image is fine , but in case someone if 5 or 10 years complains, it would be better to show some sort of source and disclaimer on the actual pdf, rather than just in the forum.
The one I use has this wording
This recording is in the public domain and may be reproduced, distributed, or modified without permission. For more information or to volunteer, visit librivox.org.
Cover picture by Artist (date). Copyright expired in U.S.A. Cover design by {your name}. This design is in the public domain.
It doesn't need to be exactly the same wording, as long as there is a source for the image and a release into the PD by the maker

Anne
Thanks for the feedback! I do have a disclaimer on the PDF that says Pixabay (CC0). I have not been putting "copyright expired" for Creative Commons 0 because in this case the artist released something into public domain rather than the copyright expiring.

In the future, would it be sufficient to link to the CC0 "license": https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/
Or perhaps we could link directly to the Pixabay page?

Either way it would also be helpful if this wiki page was updated with this information, perhaps down at the bottom where it talks about Pixabay: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/CD_Covers#PD_Picture_Sources
Margaret
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I don't worry about the copyright expired bit but I would like it to say
who designed the cover
and a release of your part of the design into the public domain.
I'm not stressed about the exact wordings - all the templates seem to use slightly different ones - but people like to know who made them - either to thank you or to tell you what is wrong with it :D , But that's LV after all , and it is handy for the admin who gets asked to know the answer
And it's good that the designer realises they are giving up any rights.

Anne
And I'll look at the wiki - covers grew like topsy and I didn't start making them , someone wanted to share the M4Bs they had , more joined, I helped them set up a "wiki catalogue" which looked better with images than with a list of books and I was asked to turn them into covers when it was decided all books would have covers - and here I am 6 years later:D

Anne
gargargarrick

Post by gargargarrick »

This is potentially a big problem. As of this year, Pixabay's images are not CC0. They're released under the Pixabay License. This led e.g. the Wordpress theme review team to forbid the use of Pixabay images, and Wikimedia Commons includes a template on Pixabay-based images noting that:
"On 9 January 2019, Pixabay switched the old sitewide license for all uploads from Creative Commons CC0 to the Pixabay license which does not meet the free content licensing requirements for Commons. Therefore, media published on Pixabay from 9 January 2019 onwards is not considered to be freely licensed and can't be accepted on Commons".
Copyright doesn't have "take-backs" -- once it's in the public domain, it's there for keeps. So in theory, images uploaded before the changeover are still public domain. But it'd be best to minimize risk as much as possible, I think. I recommend that LibriVox volunteers avoid Pixabay if possible.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn
msfry

Post by msfry »

As of today, July 13, half way through 2019, all pixabay images have this announcement beside each and every one of them. Presumably every pixabay member who posts/shares pictures there is well aware that their images are displayed on a page bearing this information. If they didn't want them there so labeled, they would surely remove them. Or Pixabay would have changed its language by now.

Pixabay License
Free for commercial use
No attribution required

I think we are perfectly safe, and recommend we accept pixabay's own words.
gargargarrick

Post by gargargarrick »

Please read the license I linked in my post (that's also Pixabay's own words) again. Some rights are absolutely reserved. LibriVox is only supposed to use public domain works, not works that can be framed as public domain-like.
msfry

Post by msfry »

gargargarrick wrote: July 13th, 2019, 12:12 pm Please read the license I linked in my post (that's also Pixabay's own words) again. Some rights are absolutely reserved. LibriVox is only supposed to use public domain works, not works that can be framed as public domain-like.
I did read it, of course, including the expanded version, and see no conflict between the Pixabay License and Librivox. Their words are very clear, and their restrictions are not at all onerous.

What is your interest in this, may I ask? Are you a lawyer? Perhaps you could research how people may release their photos from copyright restrictions, and how this differs from "public domain". A lot of people just want to share what interests them, with no thought of remuneration or restrictions of use.
gargargarrick

Post by gargargarrick »

My "interest" here is in preventing LibriVox from getting into legal trouble, but never mind. I'll drop the matter here to avoid getting too heated.
msfry

Post by msfry »

gargargarrick wrote: July 13th, 2019, 1:59 pm My "interest" here is in preventing LibriVox from getting into legal trouble, but never mind. I'll drop the matter here to avoid getting too heated.
There is nothing heated about it. You have been an LV member for about 3 years but are mostly inactive. You do not participate on our projects except for designing a few covers, but you pop in here and there to advise. As you seem to like advising, I asked, are you a lawyer? If so, I thought perhaps you could be of great use to us by doing some legal research on the question I asked above.