Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Further to the discussion about how long was reasonable to make a cover, I PMed those that were over 2 weeks and now it's a week later I've opened them up for claims.

Anne
seito

Post by seito »

annise wrote: February 9th, 2020, 4:40 pm Looking forward to being able to use it - you got all the technical bits right
https://librivox.org/uploads/covers/gedichteneuesammlung77456.zip

Hello Anne,

thank you very much for your description and your patience. I hope I did the corrections well now

Kind Regards
seito/Theo
Was ist Liebe? Liebe ist, wenn man – ach was! Liebe ist Liebe.

Erich Mühsam (1878 - 1934, ermordet im KZ Oranienburg), dt. Schriftsteller, Anarchist und Pazifist

https://librivox.org/reader/13726
msfry

Post by msfry »

Answering my own question as to what is an M4B, as opposed to the MP3 format that we all save our files to, I found this article:

M4B File (What It Is & How to Open One)
https://www.lifewire.com/m4b-file-2621958

"A file with the M4B file extension is a MPEG-4 Audio Book file. They're often seen used by iTunes to store audiobooks. Some media players use the M4B format to store digital bookmarks along with the audio, letting you pause playback and then resume later. This is one reason they're preferred over MP3s, which can't save your place in the file."

So, obviously somebody here is converting all our .mp3 files to M4B, because I am able to pause playback and resume later on my iPhone. Now I am so curious, who might that be? Anne, TriciaG, Availle, Bart? All of the above? Whom should we thank for this extra effort?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hunting around for artwork, I found this artist: https://www.wikiart.org/en/alphonse-allais/all-works#!#filterName:all-paintings-chronologically,resultType:masonry

And we thought this type of artwork was more modern-day! :lol:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

So, obviously somebody here is converting all our .mp3 files to M4B, because I am able to pause playback and resume later on my iPhone. Now I am so curious, who might that be? Anne, TriciaG, Availle, Bart? All of the above? Whom should we thank for this extra effort?
Not me.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: February 10th, 2020, 2:37 pm Hunting around for artwork, I found this artist: https://www.wikiart.org/en/alphonse-allais/all-works#!#filterName:all-paintings-chronologically,resultType:masonry

And we thought this type of artwork was more modern-day! :lol:
the titles
:lol:
8-)
that's arts!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

msfry wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:35 am Answering my own question as to what is an M4B, as opposed to the MP3 format that we all save our files to, I found this article:

M4B File (What It Is & How to Open One)
https://www.lifewire.com/m4b-file-2621958

"A file with the M4B file extension is a MPEG-4 Audio Book file. They're often seen used by iTunes to store audiobooks. Some media players use the M4B format to store digital bookmarks along with the audio, letting you pause playback and then resume later. This is one reason they're preferred over MP3s, which can't save your place in the file."

I convert them all at present - it's fairly easy, the problem is uploading them all.
Have you realised you can bookmark more than 1 book at the same time so you can switch from something deep and meaningful to some light entertainment?

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

Well, thank you for that. If you ever need help with it, Anne, let me know.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise makes another great cover. This time for Junge Pferde! Junge Pferde! What a dramatic image!
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

TriciaG wrote: February 5th, 2020, 2:24 pm (Moved the poetry covers discussion to the chat thread.)

That sounds way too confusing. Someone would have to keep track of who was doing which poetry covers!

I suggest you personally do the next 30 (or thereabouts) covers, then hand it over to the next person.
Hi,

Thanks for the comments by TriciaG, Annise and others.

To keep it simple, I will be doing the next 30 covers. That is, therefore, from 201 to 230.
By the 229, I will announce that 230 would be my last, like Bart did.

I might still tweak a little bit the one I have done and circulated in this thread for 201.

I will inform Rapunzelina by pm that she should consider me as preclaimed cover maker for this series, until the 230 number.

Regards,

Basquetteur
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That sounds good - and you can make some ahead of time if you have some spare time - all but the pdf.

Anne
Lion24

Post by Lion24 »

Just wanted to say that I'm collecting all the covers I make on the Internet Archive. Since I always draw something on my own I thought it was needed if only, as a reference. Feel free to remix or re-invert them; they are not very polished and farly simple, on SVG format, so compatible with a lot of graphic sotwares. :clap: https://archive.org/details/librovox
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

*sigh* I wish I could draw like this.

Okay, scrap that: I wish I could draw at all. :roll:

I have lots of interesting ideas in my head, but they never make it onto paper...
*sigh*. I wish...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

Lion24 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 3:43 am Just wanted to say that I'm collecting all the covers I make on the Internet Archive. Since I always draw something on my own I thought it was needed if only, as a reference. Feel free to remix or re-invert them; they are not very polished and farly simple, on SVG format, so compatible with a lot of graphic sotwares. :clap: https://archive.org/details/librovox
I can't draw, but these are the kind of images I look for on pixabay, pixel, and other sites where artists generously offer their drawings PD. They make interesting covers. (Yours aren't so simple, by the way.) Great job! :thumbs:
Could you share how you made your collection display on Archive? That's a great idea I bet we'd all like to do.
Last edited by msfry on February 22nd, 2020, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The page says "uploaded by HIS NAME" so that's what he did.
And that's what you need to do - just make your own archive page. :D

But please do keep in mind that archive is not meant as personal file storage.
There are other places for this. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com