Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just a reminder about the "fine print" on the pixabay licence and us using images in covers and releasing them into the PD.

The same goes for private property, trademarks, and visible logos: Would you like to see your private home displayed for example on an advertising column without prior notice? Nope? That's the reason for the so-called "Property Release". The object owner must give permission to use pictures of his/her belongings. But the Property Release also covers special cases, where designs or seemingly public buildings are protected. Examples are designs of new notebooks or mobile phones, as well as the Chrysler Building in New York or the London Eye. If you'd like to use pictures of that, the creators/owners must be asked for permission
It is not possible to release anything into the PD if there are any strings attached.

Anne
from Pixabay -
Understand that Pixabay images can be used in many instances (except those listed in exceptions) without asking permission from the image author. However, it is still your responsibility, to make sure the depicted content (persons, logos, private property, etc.) is suitable for your application and does not infringe any rights.

If you want to read more about this at Pixabay try this especially the posts underneath
https://pixabay.com/blog/posts/pixabay-license-what-is-allowed-and-what-is-not--4/
Lion24

Post by Lion24 »

I don't seem to be able to claim Multilingual Short Works Collection 024 - Poetry & Prose; inserting the name as usual doesn't work. Is it already claimed?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's all yours - I can't claim it either so no one else will be able to - there is an occasional glitch in the system, I'm not sure why - I have wondered if it happens if someone cancels a claim but I don't really know.

Anne
Lion24

Post by Lion24 »

It happened other times; glad to know! I will make it the next few days if others aren't interested.
Thanks Anne :)
schrm

Post by schrm »

pnagami wrote: June 21st, 2020, 4:58 am Thanks to schrm. for the cover of "The Early Hanoverians."

Eye-catching,

Pam
you are very welcome - I'm glad you like it!

:D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
ImpresstheBlind

Post by ImpresstheBlind »

Anne,

I just wanted to say your comment about braille was great, I shared it was a friend of mine, and he got a good laugh as well :thumbs: . So I thought I'd share really quick where I got my username. I saw a quote that says,
"If the whole world was blind, how many people would you impress?"

Anyway, I found it insightful, and it kind of plays well with the idea of audiobooks. But I hadn't considered the irony of using it with cover art designs :lol: .

- Caleb
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Michele - I really like that cover for Being Negro in America. The person with the American flag really sums it up in a powerful way - a great visual!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
johng

Post by johng »

Almost done With Europe and Elsewhere by Mark Twain!!!

:-)

Whoever takes on this project, please consider using the graphic found on the inside cover.
Third "page" of https://www.google.com/books/edition/Europe_and_elsewhere/xhJEAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq;=%22Europe+and+Elsewhere+%22Mark+twain&printsec=frontcover
I have a JPEG of the page, but can't figure out to insert it into this message.
:-(
Last edited by johng on June 29th, 2020, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 6:43 am Anybody have an idea what is the font on the title here? https://librivox.org/institutio-oratoria-volume-1-by-marcus-fabius-quintilianus/

I'm trying to copy it for volume 2 - or at least come close. I've never had success with those online "Match your font" tools.
Looks like Times New Roman to me.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

msfry wrote: June 29th, 2020, 7:27 am
TriciaG wrote: April 22nd, 2020, 6:43 am Anybody have an idea what is the font on the title here? https://librivox.org/institutio-oratoria-volume-1-by-marcus-fabius-quintilianus/

I'm trying to copy it for volume 2 - or at least come close. I've never had success with those online "Match your font" tools.
Looks like Times New Roman to me.
It ended up being Castellar. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

johng wrote: June 29th, 2020, 7:19 am Almost done With Europe and Elsewhere by Mark Twain!!!

Whoever takes on this project, please consider using the graphic found on the inside cover.
Third "page" of https://www.google.com/books/edition/Europe_and_elsewhere/xhJEAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq;=%22Europe+and+Elsewhere+%22Mark+twain&printsec=frontcover
I can't access the book. You should be able to upload it to the Covers folder in the uploader, then post the link here.
johng

Post by johng »

TriciaG wrote: June 29th, 2020, 7:33 am
johng wrote: June 29th, 2020, 7:19 am Almost done With Europe and Elsewhere by Mark Twain!!!

I can't access the book. You should be able to upload it to the Covers folder in the uploader, then post the link here.
strange that it won't open for you...I was able to open it in Firefox, Safari AND Chrome!!
Try: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Europe_and_elsewhere/xhJEAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq;="Europe+and+Elsewhere+"Mark+twain&printsec=frontcover

Also...I was unable to load ANYTHING into the covers file on the new Uploader!! I tried a JPEG, PDF, TIFF...
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
schrm

Post by schrm »

johng wrote: June 29th, 2020, 7:51 am
strange that it won't open for you...I was able to open it in Firefox, Safari AND Chrome!!
Try: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Europe_and_elsewhere/xhJEAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq;="Europe+and+Elsewhere+"Mark+twain&printsec=frontcover

Also...I was unable to load ANYTHING into the covers file on the new Uploader!! I tried a JPEG, PDF, TIFF...
heyho,

i wasn't able to open your link, too.

the uploader accepts .mp3 or .zip, only - what i know.
so, if you could zip the jpeg, uploading and posting the link should be the best solution.

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
johng

Post by johng »

Eggsulent!!
Will create a zip!
🧐😷😷
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: June 24th, 2020, 5:23 pm Michele - I really like that cover for Being Negro in America. The person with the American flag really sums it up in a powerful way - a great visual!
Thanks. The photographer was very busy that day. Lots of other good photos on that website.