Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm afraid you're on your own. :lol:

It's very rare that images are reused "verbatim" if you want so. People choose another angle or detail, put in the title/author in a different way so even if the image is the same, the cover looks different. It's just this one I remember, others are less memorable.

Okay, I have to go now - lunch date with the girls...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

2 and the rest .....
I just remember this one because of the variety of subjects it has been used for.
I usually just check that it hasn't been used for the same book and I wouldn't knowingly use the same image again unless it's a series or the same author. but mainly because I've done my best with it the first time so having to be different so the 2nd would be better or worse.

The image in question turns up all over the internet illustrating completely different things - it's great for philosophy - back view of man contemplating something :D

No one hast to use anything suggested by a reader. It is like all LV - you just put up with what other volunteers do or you do it yourself :D :D

Anne
I don't think it is as common as the pirate one though :D
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

I hesitate to write anything about this issue of using the same image used already in librivox. Surely I am someone not particularly creative, and I have a couple of times deliberately reused images that were already in the cover of a book for a translation of the same book into Spanish. I have the feeling that, in at least one occasion the soloist did not appear to like the reuse. I think making also the visual link between two language versions makes easier to locate back the two books- perhaps for readers of the original language and potentially interested in the second language. Perhaps there are very, very few people who look for books in two languages and try to read them in both.

On the other hand, it has also happened to me, at least twice, to search for a cover of a book and make it and, in the end once published, to realize that the same image had been used previously for a different book already in librivox.

Perhaps one way is to deeply manipulate PD images in terms of colours, light, cropping, etc.. to alleviate this somehow.

I have tried to use google image search for this wanderer above the sea and it does show a lot of hits, but I think that google image search needs some added parameters in order for it to search only in librivox or archive.org. I have not been succesfull on how to do it. Availlle's and Annise's image memory are much more effective.

Regards

Basquetteur
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I don't think you should worry too much about re-using an image. I agree that it's nice to tie translations together with the same image and series too.

Otherwise I don't think I would use an image that I know is already on a cover of ours, but I wouldn't deliberately check all our covers either. It's 15000 books, people. I'm not going to check all these all the time - not outside my staff picks, that is... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
schrm

Post by schrm »

when i have a rule on librivox, which i developed for myself, somehow...
it would be, that i broke most rules i had made up in the beginnings of my lv time.
so yes, i used some pics twice, and this week i used the same cut of a pic, too.
:D
but i edit them heavily, most times....

interesting idea, to tie books over several translations!
i honestly never thought of that.

ideally, it would add to the book, i think..
eg the german 2nd version of lay down your arms read by eva k., which is in the catalogue already.
it uses the (more english speaking areas) symbols of poppies.
i have to ask her, if she is ok with that....
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I purposely used the same artwork (and made it as close to the old look as possible) for "Le Tulipe Noire" (or however the French is spelled) as was used on the English "The Black Tulip." 8-)
https://librivox.org/search?q=tulip&search_form=advanced
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: February 26th, 2021, 7:36 am I purposely used the same artwork (and made it as close to the old look as possible) for "Le Tulipe Noire" (or however the French is spelled) as was used on the English "The Black Tulip." 8-)
https://librivox.org/search?q=tulip&search_form=advanced
one of my favorite covers ever (which are hundreds, at this point. but..you now what i mean :-))
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Ooo, I love the Early Church Collection cover art. Very nice!
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hello,

Wondering what the cover looked like for a lately catalogued project, I was delighted to see what came out. To whomever did it, great job! The cover itself makes me think of the story. :thumbs:
Yet, it would be absolutely perfect if two little typoes could be corrected : "lieus" should read "lieues" and "voulois" should read "vouloir".

Tricia, since I now know you made the cover for "La Tulipe Noire", thank you! It's a lovely one too.
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks!

FYI - If you download the PDF of a cover, it has the cover maker's name in it somewhere. :)
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

TriciaG wrote: February 27th, 2021, 9:07 am[...] FYI - If you download the PDF of a cover, it has the cover maker's name in it somewhere.
Oh, I see. Thank you!
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll fix the cover when I get a chance - it started off correct but I must have goofed on one of the many versions of font and placement it took to make the idea work at all.

Anne
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Thanks for the great work and follow-up, Anne!
Ezwa

Boileau

schrm

Post by schrm »

HannaPonomarenko wrote: March 5th, 2021, 2:29 am
schrm wrote: March 5th, 2021, 1:58 am man in the nest
catalogue page: https://librivox.org/chelovekvfutliare-by-anton-chekhov/
Laughthing to tears!
hi hanna,

a big big compliment for me!
thank you!

(here is the better place to chat, so i copied it here)

:clap: totally cool to get such a feedback :-D
thank you!

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko »

You know Wolfy, this cover has already brought us the first reader!
Thank you :D