Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
TanG

Post by TanG »

TriciaG wrote: January 30th, 2021, 9:59 am File naming:

two JPG of 300x300 px:

title_yymm.jpg
and
title_yymm_itemimage.jpg

One JPG of 150x150 px:

title_yymm_thumb.jpg

One PDF:

title_yymm.pdf

Uploading: put them all in a zip file, go to the uploader, and choose "covers" in the pick list. Post the resulting link in the Covers working thread.
Thanks, it helped.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And then post the url in the cover working thread - so one of us knows it is there and can link it. :D :D
Anne
TanG

Post by TanG »

annise wrote: January 31st, 2021, 3:07 am And then post the url in the cover working thread - so one of us knows it is there and can link it. :D :D
Anne
Thank you, Anne. There is so much to learn here. :)
schrm

Post by schrm »

thank you anne for the very nice rousseau cover!
colorful, elegant, beautiful - it is wonderful!
:D :clap:

edit: (but i noticed you named it Rousseux in the sidepanels of the cover? :-))
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Glad you liked the image - it makes him look like a real person - someone you could meet in the woods and have an interesting chat with - slightly oddly attired but still real :D

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 3:32 pm Glad you liked the image - it makes him look like a real person - someone you could meet in the woods and have an interesting chat with - slightly oddly attired but still real :D

Anne
yes, and his pose, leaning on the rock... it is looking like a natural, normal behaviour..
and your framing with the color gradient..
i am very happy that i decided to give this preclaim back and i'm very happy that you claimed it!
i would have taken a black and white pic and had no idea what to do with it.
and you made a beautiful cover!

thank you!

cheers,
wolfi
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'd given up a couple of times because the images were so poor and I knew nothing about him and then found that image. I have used quotations etc as background sometimes

Anne
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Grateful thanks to Availle for the coolest cover ever for:

https://librivox.org/six-radical-thinkers-by-john-maccunn/

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sshhh... you're making me blush... :oops:

Glad you like it! :thumbs:

[I moved your post from the "working" thread to keep the other one tidy.]
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
schrm

Post by schrm »

shoutout to all covermakers:
some pretty cool covers last few weeks!

special shoutout to M. Bourgeois-Doyle and Dick Bourgeois-Doyle - this art is wonderful!
https://ia801400.us.archive.org/24/items/sunshinesketches_2101_librivox/Sunshine_Sketches_2101.pdf
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Would this image of Tertullian be possible if someone is making a cover for this project (which doesn't appear on the claims list for some reason).
Medieval History Volume 02 The Rise of the Saracens and the Foundation of the Western Empire 99% 1 left! "The Carlovingian Revolution, and Frankish Intervention in Italy Part 3 by G. L. Burr"
DPL DPL 27 19 43
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

InTheDesert wrote: February 8th, 2021, 7:42 am Would this image of Tertullian be possible if someone is making a cover for this project (which doesn't appear on the claims list for some reason).
It's a bit small; it would work better if it were a bit bigger. (The original cover image is 600x600 px; this image is 171x236, so it'll only take up about 40% of the height of the cover.) :hmm:

Here's the same image larger, but I think it's just blown up, so the quality isn't great: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Tertullian_2.jpg/300px-Tertullian_2.jpg
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It doesn't have a source - and doesn't say it is PD in the USA which is also a problem.

Anne
The claims list is on a private server which does not continually update with new projects
added
this seems to be the most commonly used image - and it does have a source
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tertullian.jpg
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Continuing a discussion re generic covers and what to do when you don't know the book and the summary is not very informative that is in the working thread
Make a background and use a big font
sea, sky, clouds fabric leather etc
Gold letters on leather backgrounds look good sometimes
Look up borders there are some interesting free collections around
Design your own border........

Anne

I've re arranged my post above
in this case with post Jacobites going to India
Sailing ship off the cape of good hope with Jacobite symbol top left, east India company flag bottom right or thistle and something Indian
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I think we have a different idea of what exactly constitutes "generic". :lol: If you're combining several images that all kinda sorta define the book, it's not generic to me...

For me, "generic" is trees, flowers, marbled paper... with the title/author somewhere in the middle. Our poetry collections have covers that fit my definition of generic.

And then, as I said in the working thread:

Once you realise that the cover does not necessarily have to fit the topic of the book, there are so many more options. :D
Do you know the Penguin Classics series of books? The cover is always the same: 1/3 black background with title/author in white/red and 2/3 of detail of random oil painting. I don't see how this one has anything to do with the book, but then again, it's a three-in-one:

https://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Canongate-Penguin-Classics-Walter/dp/0140439897/

I have looked around a bit for covers for "The Surgeon's Daughter" and one of them even had a painting of an old man on the cover (and probably not even from the right time period, although I'm not an expert). So yes, if the traditional publishers can get away with those covers, surely we can too. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com