Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Carolin who posted the help bit linked in the first post of the work thread knows more about international copyright law than most others around here has the best answer. My reading is that if the person is not recognisable it is OK.
So I think that is OK as long as the photographer said it was :D

Anne
carthinius

Post by carthinius »

Great minds think alike :wink: Thanks for your comment!
"it's worse than you know!" - "it usually is." | Find a growing collection of my covers in higher resolution at flickr
Lion24

Post by Lion24 »

TheBanjo wrote: June 12th, 2021, 3:04 am
That is really nice! Thank you!
Peter Dann
:clap:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Is anyone else having a problem getting the cover claim page?

EDIT: Never mind; it's working now.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's there for me - and it came up when I turned this computer on about 1 hour ago.
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

Thank you schrm for the cover of Weib und Welt .... :9:
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 3 Rollen unbesetzt
I will be on vacation from March 28 to April 1.
schrm

Post by schrm »

lorda wrote: July 4th, 2021, 4:15 pm Thank you schrm for the cover of Weib und Welt .... :9:
:D was a fun cover!
u r welcome!

annise wrote: July 4th, 2021, 4:36 pm
is this in the clearing process or did a mistake happen?
Seems as though my fool-proof system failed :(
It is linked now - sorry and thank you :D :D
Anne
thank you anne! :D
(i think,there are sayings with simlar contents in english, too:
with much work some mistakes are human)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We have one that says
"to err is human. to forgive divine"

Anne
schrm

Post by schrm »

annise wrote: July 5th, 2021, 2:50 am We have one that says
"to err is human. to forgive divine"

Anne
aaaawesome poetically
:-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

msfry wrote: July 6th, 2021, 10:06 am I don't see the Cottage Cheese Recipe Book on the claims board. Has somebody preclaimed it?
maybe too early: online in the catalogue for two hours according to my pc.
normally, they appear somewhat between 2 and 5 hours after the cataloguing process.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
msfry

Post by msfry »

schrm wrote: July 6th, 2021, 10:19 am
msfry wrote: July 6th, 2021, 10:06 am I don't see the Cottage Cheese Recipe Book on the claims board. Has somebody preclaimed it?
maybe too early: online in the catalogue for two hours according to my pc.
normally, they appear somewhat between 2 and 5 hours after the cataloguing process.
Oh, for some reason I thought it had catalogued yesterday, on the 5th. Thanks for catching that for me!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

IMPORTANT NOTICE re the claims system
In response to the rare occurrence of a claim being made twice in a limited time period by 2 different makers. 2 of my fellow admins login tried to replicate this and were able to sometimes
Their report

" There is some bug in the system where if the timing is a certain way or if the page isn't reloaded (not just refreshed), the claim won't show and someone else can claim it. I don't know who claimed it first this time. Let's make a pledge to reload the cover page before making a claim, when it's been open on our computer for anything more than a minute or two. That way we can be more certain it hasn't been claimed in that time period."

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

This happened to me recently and caused some hassle as two covers were made, both in good faith. I presume this occurred because the first person made the claim (by putting their name in the box and hitting "confirm", and seeing their name lodged in the box), at that precise moment another person loaded up the claims page, but before the computer had time to register the first name and fill in the blank, and allowed entry of a second name which the computer then also confirmed as registered.

Could this be caused by claimants living in different time zones? If so, what is a reasonable lag time for a server to reflect accurate data? Seconds? Minutes?

We need to trust our claims board. From now on, whenever I visit the claims board and enter my name in the box and hit confirm and see it there, then I will refresh the page to make sure my name has not been over-ridden by a prior entry in the system.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

I'm not a covermaker, but have just come across a free computer application that some covermakers might be interested in exploring as a way of generating copyright free images for covers.

The application, known as VQGAN+CLIP, generates images using Artificial Intelligence, and can take as its starting point a text prompt, or an image file.

I first learned about this application here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-07-15/ai-art-tool-makes-paintings-of-australia/100288386

You can find instructions on how to use VQGAN+CLIP here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lu7XPRKlNhBQjcKr8k8qRzUzbBW7kzxb5Vu72GMRn2E/edit

Today I was keen to create an image that I could use on Twitter and Facebook to announce to my teeny weeny social media following that my solo reading of Joseph Conrad's novel "Nostromo" is now available on Librivox. I used VQGAN+CLIP to generate a bunch of images using, for all images, the prompt "Joseph Conrad and silver mine set in South America trending on artstation". You can see a subset of the images the application generated from this text prompt here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kXdgF4Whvkyxp89BSFINkjKY_EpiXZp0?usp=sharing

The resultant images are all 72 dpi, and the maximum dimensions appear to be around 700 x 700 pixels, beyond which the app seems to hit memory constraints. You guys will know better than me whether this makes such images useful or useless for covermaking purposes.
schrm

Post by schrm »

This raises all kinds of thorny questions around who owns the rights to these artworks, both legally and morally.

"It's a bit of a nightmare," Mr Browning said.

"Giotto may be upset his religious paintings were turned into a Melbourne cafe."
From the article above..
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275